Why eat exercise calories?

Options
SunnyStef
SunnyStef Posts: 22 Member
I rode my stationary bike for 25 minutes today at a pace of 14-16 mph. My bike says I burned 145 calories, but MFP says it was 466. First, why is there such a big difference? And if I burned those calories, why do I want to eat them back if my goal is to lose weight? Maybe I need to change something in my settings?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you to lose weight without exercise. When you do exercise, you increase the amount of calories you burned for the day. In order to keep that deficit consistent and fuel your body, it's expected that you would eat them back. But many times calories burned are overestimated (as you can see from the difference between your bike's reading and what MFP says when you log it), so a lot of people will only eat 50-75% of those calories back.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    The calories burn is a general number whether you are M or F, age, weight, intensity, pace,etc. All are factors in calories burned. Whether or not you eat all, part, or none of the calories back is up to each person.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome! You'll have to play around with what works for you and you will find that MFP seriously over estimates calorie burn, but it is helpful to eat at least some of your exercise calories back. The idea is that your calorie goal assumes no exercise over and above your day to day life. You need to fuel your body to maintain muscle while still losing fat.

I have a Fitbit Charge and have it synced to MFP with the option to reduce calories if I am too sedentary (never below 1200/day net). I find that gives me a pretty accurate calorie count and I don't bother inputting my activity into MFP directly. I still have about 50 lbs. that I want to lose and work a desk job so I have my activity set at lightly active and a 2 lb/wk. loss. I get 1210 calories to start with and it goes up from there depending on my Fitbit adjustments. I currently eat back 75-100% of my exercise calories and sometimes more and am losing weight consistently as long as I log accurately. Not knowing what your day looks like and what your goals are I can't say that's the best option for you but you will find that a whole lot of people eat back their exercise calories and still lose weight. Remember that the goal MFP gives you is a net, not a gross, after activity. I hope this helps.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    SunnyStef wrote: »
    I rode my stationary bike for 25 minutes today at a pace of 14-16 mph. My bike says I burned 145 calories, but MFP says it was 466. First, why is there such a big difference? And if I burned those calories, why do I want to eat them back if my goal is to lose weight? Maybe I need to change something in my settings?

Harvard Medical School puts bicycling (14-15.9 mph) for half an hour at the following burns per weight: 330 cals @ 125 lbs, 372 cals @ 155 lbs, and 444 cals @ 185 lbs. Their burn for vigorous stationery biking is similar. http://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-and-weight-loss/calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities

Exercise burns are difficult to pinpoint, so a lot of people won't eat back all their exercise calories.

I already have a 500 calorie deficit entered into MFP, so if I burn 1000 calories through additional exercise, I can eat them back and still be at a 500 calorie deficit (I am set to eat 1350, but my TDEE is 1850 or so; with the exercise, I can eat 2350 cals and still be at a good deficit; for maintenance I would eat 2850 cals). My goal is for sustainable long-term fitness and a healthy weight, and if I am not eating back the 1000+ calories I am burning on many days, I become extremely hangry. If you are working hard, your body needs the proper fuel to keep it going.

That being said, a lot of people don't eat back their exercise calories; it just depends on what works best for you and helps you stay on track.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

For the most part, MFP burns are quite generous. It's suggested to eat back only half, and a lot of MFP-er's don't eat them back at all
  • Rom3oJuli3tt
    Rom3oJuli3tt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ MFP is definitely generous to say the least
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My bike says I burned 145 calories.
    Even MFP acknowledges that you should the devices calorie burned info when possible

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    MFP calorie burns are often over-estimated. Stationary bikes don't burn a ton of calories, so I would go with the lower estimate for sure.

The reason you want to eat them back is because your MFP calorie goal already has a deficit built in. If you make that deficit bigger (through activity), you want to eat back calories to ensure your health and energy are supported. To account for over-estimates, many people only eat back a portion of the calories. Until I got my Fitbit, I ate about 50-75% of my calories back (my Fitbit is more reliable for burn, so I eat them all now).

I use my fitbit to figure my calories burned, too. I can look back at the day before and see if my mfp calories matched or fell below my fitbit calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why people start using a tool without understanding how the tool works...does nobody ever read the instructions anymore?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're supposed to eat your exercise calories. That's how the tool works, it wouldn't give you calories back if you weren't supposed to eat them. Let's take a hypothetical person here:

Person maintains on 2000 cals per day and would like to lose 1lb per week.

2000 maint - 500 cal deficit = 1500 cals per day to lose 1lb per week.

Now remember, you enter your stats for a normal day. MFP assumes this activity doesn't include the gym. Now our hypothetical person has added in a run that burns 350 cals per day. Now that person has a new maintence.

New maintenance =

2000 old main + 350 exercise cals = 2350 new maintenance.

Now to lose that 1lb per week that YOU entered:

2350 new maint - 500 cal deficit = 1850 cals per day to lose the same 1lb per week.

Now, as everyone said it's all an estimate so you may need to mess around with the numbers a little bit. This is why most people start out at eating back about 50% and adjusting from there.
  • debradugas9
    debradugas9 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my exercise calories...I would only do that if I was maintaining my weight
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on how much weight you need to lose. If it is more than 50 pounds, then i wouldn't bother to eat back calories unless (1) the exertion of the activity made me feel weak or (2) I was already eating at a large deficit ...

I don't eat my activity calories back unless they are much more than what I already have planned ... a moderate cut in calories as my food goal and a plan to exercise enough to burn as much in activity as I dropped from food ... like 250 less calories a day in food and an extra 250 calories a day in activity. Also, I don't have MFP adding my exercise calories back into the my allowance because that throws me off. I do record my exercise in MFP so I will have a handy record of it.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i eat some exercise calories back if i get hungry early or feel weak. if hungry, i eat protein - if weak, some protein and some carbs.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat at least some of my exercise calories back. I don't eat them all, in case they are over estimated, but I eat some. I work out very hard, and I need to fuel my exercise so I can continue to work out hard. I also want to ensure I lose as little muscle as possible, so I don't want my deficit to be too large. I'm in this for the long haul, so I want to do it right.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back any of my exercise calories. It's optional.
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    TheresaLisaJulieJean Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I exercise harder just so I can eat more...on 1200 Cal goal it's hard to do it without a good deficit.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat back only some of exercise calories and I always go off of Runkeeper or my calibrated machine and not what MFP says.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Id go off the bike. But honestly i dont log my workouts often unless i eat a but past my 1200 cal goal ill add some of my exercise to be in my calorie goals. But honestly you shouldnt eat them back unless you worked out hard and are extra hungry which is normal so for energy you should only eat back 25-50% of the burned calories. You cant change that setting unless you pay for the membership. So just dont log it.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    funny. i hear this that MFP is notoriously generous when it comes to doling out calorie burns but its been my experience that its fairly accurate. this is based on 3 years on MFP, two different HRMs, and 100 pound loss eating back EVERY SINGLE CALORIE BURNED.