Being Black

Options

Replies

• fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am what many call a "Black Latina", my mother's family hails from Panama, Central America, and it has always been a struggle culturally for me in that black people didn't see me as being "Black enough", and Latinos assume I am African American, until they hear me speaking Spanish, then of course they want to pat me on the back and ask me how did I learn to speak Spanish so well, little do they know, Spanish is actually my first language.

It absolutely drives me nuts the way people are so quick to judge a book by its cover, and presume to know who we are, what we are culturally, etc. I blew my childhood experiences of kids saying mean things off, including kids saying I was lying about being Panamanian because black people only exist in Africa and America. I even had a high school teacher make such an ignorant statement. But recently, I was dating someone Black and her family had a problem with me because I didn't: talk black, act black, and am Catholic and did not attend a "black" church, i.e. Baptist or Lutheran. It was a slap of reality to me that this thinking still exists and is prevalent in the Black community. I am darker skinned than most of them, wear my natural hair (kinky), but because I speak proper English, I am not Black enough. I am glad that I am older and its so much easier for me to tell people like that to f**k off.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I've seen some blatant racism, but to truth be told, racism flows in all directions. And in my opinion, it's just sad to see this form of ignorance embodied through comments or actions. I simply attribute this type of behavior for what it is, ignorance...and I won't give time nor energy to that person.

So I say be who you are and let people see you for that, if they choose to accept you for it, then those are the people worth caring for.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I've seen some blatant racism, but to truth be told, racism flows in all directions. And in my opinion, it's just sad to see this form of ignorance embodied through comments or actions. I simply attribute this type of behavior for what it is, ignorance...and I won't give time nor energy to that person.

So I say be who you are and let people see you for that, if they choose to accept you for it, then those are the people worth caring for.

I'm not sure that racism flows both ways because their are wider power balances in society than mean a discrimination against a white person isn't really the same, it isn't oppression and I am tempted to say it is not really racism. It is still discriminatory though, i wouldn't endorse it at all. I think lack of pejudice and disrimination across the board is a good policy. Ignorance has a chance of being educated, so I hope people who do these things can become more informed.

Aw wow, Badanbody! I am black latino too! See this is a difficulty I find, iut's like you have to chose one or th other, somethimes literally, like on forms and things. I think it is because they think latina/o means like morena/brown, but it is more than a physical race, maybe because we are a mixed part of the world, central americas, caribbean, south america. I am lucky really, I have 3 parts of my heritage to enjoy; black, latino and also British, my adopted identity!!
    xxx
  • Tammi623
    Tammi623 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Racism can definitely flow in any direction. However, the difference is that the white man has not been as crippled by it as the minorities have. Thus it seems a bit hypocritical of them to call racism when they have been the ones oppressing others for centuries. Yeah they might face a bit of trouble today but, honestly, that’s not too bad in comparison.

Ummmmmm about the comment that said that the white man can’t support any “agenda” I’m not sure if I’m misinterpreting this or not so I’m not going to address that.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Meh, people love to pigeon hole. I have got similar comments in my life. I am biracial, not black, but people usually put me in the black category because I'm not super light, and I apparently 'look black', and blah blah blah. People have expectations of you, but you're just you, you know? Keep being you, sweets.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I see some discussions about racism against whites.

Racism is racism, dudes. Nobody can say one demographic is more or less affected than one other. And I don't think we should be blaming white people for anything any more than we should be blaming black people for anything.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you're a good human who cares what color your skin pigmentation happens to be.

^^THIS!!

I don't care if you are purple or green or rainbow colored. Be who you are because that's what we are all best at doing!!

Look everyone, as far as I am aware there are no green or purple people, I wish people would stop saying this, it sounds ridiculous!!!!
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Racism can definitely flow in any direction. However, the difference is that the white man has not been as crippled by it as the minorities have. Thus it seems a bit hypocritical of them to call racism when they have been the ones oppressing others for centuries. Yeah they might face a bit of trouble today but, honestly, that’s not too bad in comparison.

Ummmmmm about the comment that said that the white man can’t support any “agenda” I’m not sure if I’m misinterpreting this or not so I’m not going to address that.

Am I understanding you correctly? Are you saying that because "the man" was predominantly racist back in the day that now any white man loses their right to claiming that they are being discriminated against? This is what I mean when I said that “discrimination flows both ways” (and I hope you don't take this the wrong way Tammi) but this mindset is what begets discrimination of any type and any capacity.

I think we need to shed that type of mentality and simply strive to better ourselves and quit making a crutch out of the discrimination card. And yes, I’ve been discriminated against…I’m not one to sit there and make myself out to be a martyr, I’ll just prove them wrong by being successful.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options

Racism is racism, dudes. Nobody can say one demographic is more or less affected than one other. And I don't think we should be blaming white people for anything any more than we should be blaming black people for anything.

I would say that some demographics are affected more than others as victims of racism- white people aren't victims as often or usually as powerfully as people of colour. I don' think blaming or guilt tripping or playing victim/aggressor is the way though, it is about working together everyone to a society that will benefit us all, through equality and justice :)
  • boreshagal
    Options
    Why are you defining yourself as black? You are human right? Society has warped us into this diversity philosophy.Diversity divides because it highlights our differences.I have a lot of black friends whom I consider to be the best friends I have (I am not black) but they are my friends, not because they are black, but because they have offered me a shoulder to cry on, a hug, a smile.They have not gossiped about the secrets I shared with them.They have not judged.They have not hated me or chastised me because I am of a different race, different political thought,different religion.What do we have in common? We all have the same Father.Period.End of story.And it is a beautiful story of friendship and love.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options

I would say that some demographics are affected more than others as victims of racism- white people aren't victims as often or usually as powerfully as people of colour. I don' think blaming or guilt tripping or playing victim/aggressor is the way though, it is about working together everyone to a society that will benefit us all, through equality and justice :)

If white parents give their white daughter grief for falling in love with a black man we would say they're racist, right?

So if black parents give their black daughter grief because she falls in love with a white man, why is that not racist?

Because according to previous logic racism is something that only the 'oppressing' white social group is capable of?

I don't think so.

Racism is the result of ignorance, which exists in all races.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

This is BS.

Also, I find it odd that black people often say they are proud to be black. If I said I am proud to be white, Id sound like a racist.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    " ...Also, I find it odd that black people often say they are proud to be black. If I said I am proud to be white, Id sound like a racist."

Fieldsy one of the issues I have is this, because someone says, "I'm proud to be black," who happens to be black doesn't mean everyone that is black a) is saying that and b) "The Black and I'm Proud" movement came from a long period of being ashamed of having more melanin then white folks. These are folks who are remembering the times Jim Crow laws existed, or only being able to get a job sweeping floors when they held college degrees and post grad degrees. Being “caught” with black skin was considered a disgrace and meant you were less than a 100% person.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    " ...Also, I find it odd that black people often say they are proud to be black. If I said I am proud to be white, Id sound like a racist."

Fieldsy one of the issues I have is this, because someone says, "I'm proud to be black," who happens to be black doesn't mean everyone that is black a) is saying that and b) "The Black and I'm Proud" movement came from a long period of being ashamed of having more melanin then white folks. These are folks who are remembering the times Jim Crow laws existed, or only being able to get a job sweeping floors when they held college degrees and post grad degrees. Being “caught” with black skin was considered a disgrace and meant you were less than a 100% person.

I'm not saying every black person is saying that. I know that blacks had it worse a long time ago, but things have changed. Everybody is equal now and have been for a while now. I can understand the elderly black people feeling this way, but people my age I just don't get.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I'm not saying every black person is saying that. I know that blacks had it worse a long time ago, but things have changed. Everybody is equal now and have been for a while now. I can understand the elderly black people feeling this way, but people my age I just don't get.

Everyone may be equal by law but discrimination still happens, that's the problem.
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD Becky look at her butt, it is SO big. She looks like one of those.. rap guys girlfriends. But you know, who understands those rap guys? They only talk to her because she looks like a total prostitute ok? I mean, her butt, its just so big. I cant believe its just round, its like out there. I mean, ugh gross! Look! She's just so... BLACK!

Every color is sexy :bigsmile:
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    " I can understand the elderly black people feeling this way, but people my age I just don't get."

People in "that" age group, which I guess includes me, have raised people your age and talked about their experience. Weather you have actually experienced it or not, the brain records everything it has heard, seen and experienced through it's own owners experience and the experiences of others. Fears are passed down from one generation to another, thus generational feuds and animosities. The good thing about this message board, myfitnesspal, it encourages exercise/movement and movement helps the brain bypass old memories and experiences. You may not remember things in our memory centers but the brain remembers everything (The User's Guide to the Brain and SPARK: the revolutionary new science of exercise and the brain both by Dr. John Ratey).

We are here for either weight loss or improved fitness and that common goal will get folks our of their comfort zone and teach them that our other “stuff” is no longer valid. Being fit/getting fit is more powerful then we will ever know because it gets the brain out of old thinking that has kept people in bondage. The biggest prison is not made out of concrete and steal but out of brain matter.
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    What does it mean to be black? Is it more than a race? Someone told me I am 'rubbish at being black'. I live in a mainly white area, my friends and everyone around me is therefore mostly white. Racially, I identify as mixed race/latino/person of colour/black depending on whatever I want. I'm a happy go lucky boy. Why do I feel so bad that someone told me I am apathetic and not doing what I should? I just try to be a good PERSON, I don't think too much about being a good black person. Sometimes I guess I would like to know more people my own race so I don't feel a little different ffrom time to time, but I don't like to say it because it sounds like I am ungrateful for my lovely friends, when really I love them, and it isn't their fault we don't live in a diverse area. I hope it is not bad. I just interested in some thoughts because this is a forum of people cleverer than me! I hope I cause no offence. xxxxxx

Well in that 'someones' opinion you are 'rubbish at being black' and I would be rubbish at being white as Im sure many other people would be rubbish as well. I have a large group of culturally diverse people that I just see as my friends. Nothing wrong with people who are rubbish at being themselves. The person who said that to you seems to stir the racial pot and its people like that that hold us all back. You keep doing what you feel is right and dont sweat the comments from people who obviously have hate in their heart. The "rubbish" people live a much happier richer life because we dont worry about who we should or should not be associated with because of nationality or color. :drinker:
  • britlocs
    britlocs Posts: 124
    Options

I can understand the elderly black people feeling this way, but people my age I just don't get.

I think you are right,you just don't get it.I'll try to explain using a few analogies.

Its like a heterosexual person saying "I'm straight!,thats have a straight pride festival" or a woman calling a guy a "slut" it doesn't have the same social significance or power.

The gay pride festivals,are about overcoming oppression,not being ashamed to be gay etc.This is just like the black power movement,it was and still is about overcoming that.White power,however,obviously,was not about that,it was about claiming to be better than everyone,and being the "chosen people." yes I am talking about the past now,but I'll continue to explain how it is still relevant.

You say "we are all equal now" I don't know how to explain to you that this is clearly not the case,when we are talking about law enforcement, the people that have power over someones life.Being proud of a skin color,is problematic.You can be proud to be European,proud to be American etc. but being proud to be white skinned? Is it necessary?

This kind of statement usually comes along with other questions like,"Why isn't there a white history month" when 99.9% of the stuff you learn in school IS mainly about white people.Or saying things like "how come they get B.E.T." (black entertainment television) "How come we don't get a W.E.T channel?",when 99% of shows on tv are aimed and produced for the white demographic.Or the classic "why can't I say the n-word" why would a white person want to say that word,anyway?

I know you think it sounds hypocritical,but people in the u.s./u.k. can be proud to be black.For the majority of black people,all they have,in terms of history,is the color of their skin.They don't know any other history (pre-slavery) other than them being black and slaves,because the history before slavery has been somewhat destroyed or skewed.The history books make it seem that we turned up just in time for slavery,hah.

We are all equal,yes,we are in agreement on that.However,the distribution of power,whether black- white,man-woman,doesn't reflect this.

Lets refrain from calling peoples opinions "BS" ,this topic has been great until that point.I'm sure you are just passionate,but lets keep it nice.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    If you're a good human who cares what color your skin pigmentation happens to be.

Amen. I dont care what your skin color is, I care about how people treat people.
    Ditto!

I'm Mexican-Filipino but was raised more in Latino ways since I'm closer to that side of my family. Although I don't have the typical Asian look but since I'm 30% Asian so people expect me to eat rice, be submissive & behave in an "Asian" way which is way in contrast to my personality. I don't get it either.

EDIT: I referred the word "Asian" to mean people from East & Southeast Asia (excluding the Middle East) since that is what the US meant.