Being Black

Options

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    How are we going to get rid of racism? Stop talking about it!

pics.jpg
    I follow the gospel of Mr. Freeman. That man can do no wrong...besides cheating on his wife. But he's awesome, so he gets a pass.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I like to add, i dont use race in any terms around my daughter. I never say "oh hes mexican, asian, african american" Or whatever. I dont what my daughter to know any difference in people, because there isn't any!
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    As a heterosexual white male, you're not being discriminated against and your equal rights aren't in jeopardy. All of us who belong to an oppressed minority group have the responsibility to stand up for ourselves and other oppressed minorities. What you call "promoting an agenda" is simply demanding equal treatment. I'm not surprised you can't empathize.

There's a lot of bias against heterosexual white males, kind of like a backlash. They will be blamed for sexism and racism first. They will be stepped over just so that a company has a woman or ethnic person in positions to fill their quota. And that's speaking as a woman. All of this just needs to find a balance but it'll take a while. I don't care about this enough to be honest, live and let live.

This is such nonsense. Heterosexual white men run the world. Everything is geared toward their benefit.
  • EirePetal
    EirePetal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This topic is like to me is like a drug to me! I am an Interculturalist in the middle of my graduate program and I have also experienced social rejection due to my cultural background and responses do not meet societies expectations as a white, female. I grew up in Africa.
  • Danette73
    Options
    Sad that this is still an issue in 2012 ... sighhhhhhh
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to be black? Is it more than a race? Someone told me I am 'rubbish at being black'. I live in a mainly white area, my friends and everyone around me is therefore mostly white. Racially, I identify as mixed race/latino/person of colour/black depending on whatever I want. I'm a happy go lucky boy. Why do I feel so bad that someone told me I am apathetic and not doing what I should? I just try to be a good PERSON, I don't think too much about being a good black person. Sometimes I guess I would like to know more people my own race so I don't feel a little different ffrom time to time, but I don't like to say it because it sounds like I am ungrateful for my lovely friends, when really I love them, and it isn't their fault we don't live in a diverse area. I hope it is not bad. I just interested in some thoughts because this is a forum of people cleverer than me! I hope I cause no offence. xxxxxx
    I think you are behaving normally! I think for the most part, people are just people and have friends and don't care what race we are! Which is how it should be!!! There will always be someone who has to point something out and then make you "think" about it!
  • jennismagic
    Options

pics.jpg
    I follow the gospel of Mr. Freeman. That man can do no wrong...besides cheating on his wife. But he's awesome, so he gets a pass.

Black History Month exists because black history wasn't and largely still isn't recognized by the mainstream in this country. You don't need a special month because everything is tilted in your favor already. This is why I take issue with white people whining about minority-specific things.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    As a heterosexual white male, you're not being discriminated against and your equal rights aren't in jeopardy. All of us who belong to an oppressed minority group have the responsibility to stand up for ourselves and other oppressed minorities. What you call "promoting an agenda" is simply demanding equal treatment. I'm not surprised you can't empathize.

There's a lot of bias against heterosexual white males, kind of like a backlash. They will be blamed for sexism and racism first. They will be stepped over just so that a company has a woman or ethnic person in positions to fill their quota. And that's speaking as a woman. All of this just needs to find a balance but it'll take a while. I don't care about this enough to be honest, live and let live.

A white heterosexual man with a criminal background has more of chance getting a job over a black man without one. You can take a look the unemployment rates as well and see which groups are hurting the most. Trust me, white men do not as much as a hard time finding a job as a black male. Many white men over exaggerate because they know of the affirmation laws and stuff so they try to blame the regulations instead of their own flaws to why they may not be getting a job but they still don't have the hurdles that other races face.

Unemployment rates don't tell you if people are unemployed because they were discriminated against, come on. Youve gotta be smarter than that. I'm not saying discrimination doesn't happen, but your example is ridiculous.

But studies that do take different races with the same qualifications and see who gets the job does. There's been plenty of these studies done, you can look them up for yourself.
    I don't doubt that, but what you said up there made no sense at all.

Educate yourself further and it will.

You quoted ONLY unemployment rates. You can not possibly draw any conclusions regarding discrimination SOLELY based on unemployment numbers, and you know that.

I stated that's another thing you can look at basically. Its not a coincidence when the recession hit that certain groups got hit harder. If you feel otherwise then tell me why you think they got hit harder? When there aren't many jobs out there and 100 plus people fighting for the same job, who you think has more of a chance?

You were basically saying this:

Timmy has 2 green apples and 1 red apple. You can assume Timmy doesn't like red apples.

Which is wrong. And that's all I was saying. Your logic wasn't working out. I even said that I knew that discrimination happened.
  • roachhaley
    Options

pics.jpg

Black History Month exists because black history wasn't and largely still isn't recognized by the mainstream in this country. You don't need a special month because everything is tilted in your favor already. This is why I take issue with white people whining about minority-specific things.

Morgan Freeman is black.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

A white heterosexual man with a criminal background has more of chance getting a job over a black man without one. You can take a look the unemployment rates as well and see which groups are hurting the most. Trust me, white men do not as much as a hard time finding a job as a black male. Many white men over exaggerate because they know of the affirmation laws and stuff so they try to blame the regulations instead of their own flaws to why they may not be getting a job but they still don't have the hurdles that other races face.

Unemployment rates don't tell you if people are unemployed because they were discriminated against, come on. Youve gotta be smarter than that. I'm not saying discrimination doesn't happen, but your example is ridiculous.

But studies that do take different races with the same qualifications and see who gets the job does. There's been plenty of these studies done, you can look them up for yourself.

You quoted ONLY unemployment rates. You can not possibly draw any conclusions regarding discrimination SOLELY based on unemployment numbers, and you know that.

I stated that's another thing you can look at basically. Its not a coincidence when the recession hit that certain groups got hit harder. If you feel otherwise then tell me why you think they got hit harder? When there aren't many jobs out there and 100 plus people fighting for the same job, who you think has more of a chance?

Timmy has 2 green apples and 1 red apple. You can assume Timmy doesn't like red apples.

Which is wrong. And that's all I was saying. Your logic wasn't working out. I even said that I knew that discrimination happened.

Okay, my logic doesn't work. Then tell me why are certain groups being hit harder with the recession? I'm always open to learning new things.
  • jennismagic
    Options

pics.jpg

Morgan Freeman is black.

Thank you. I hadn't noticed that in all my years of loving his films.

I was referring to the girl who quoted the pic.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    I like to add, i dont use race in any terms around my daughter. I never say "oh hes mexican, asian, african american" Or whatever. I dont what my daughter to know any difference in people, because there isn't any!

Ditto that. My kiddo is half Mexican, half White European mutt. My husband and I don't tell him that though. He just thinks he's 100 percent perfect. He's never asked why his skin isn't the same color as Daddy's (my husband is supppperrrr dark and I'm see through) or anything like that. Skin color doesn't mean diddly to my kiddo, and that's just the way I like it.

He has, however, asked why Mommy's spanish sucks.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

So my question to the TWO of you is why is it that my best friend who is white, blond hair, blue eyes white, can not get state health insurance? She is in school, trying to better herself, lives on her own, has no children, works, etc, but the state denied her. Do you know why they denied her? She was not 25, had no children & was white. Explain that to me?

I knew MANY black men who were in the work release program that used to work at my job. Did you look at the statistics as to WHY the "White Criminals" were hired over the "Black Non-Criminals"? Maybe they lacked education? Maybe they lacked employment references. Maybe they were just not qualified for the specific job. I have MANY MANY "black" men who come into my office everyday looking for a job, we hire through the union. Tell that to 1 "white" man, & tell that to 1"black" man, who do you think is going to go the extra step? A lot of these guys do come in here on work release. But they can't join the union because of it. So there you go, my job does not hire "black" men OR "white" men with a criminal background. Your accusations are far fetched. Do a little digging for your self & find out why the "Black" males were not hired over the "white" males with criminal backgrounds. Yes, America is RACIST! Everyone in America is racist. But we are racist with ourselves as well as each other. Tell me that NO ONE here has looked at someone that looks as though they are from the middle east wondering if they are a terrorist. I know I have. But we have our own terrorists. WHITE people here are terrorists. Who was behind the Oklahoma City Bombings? What about Columbine High? What about The Batman Movie? ALL WHITE PEOPLE.

My point is, there are stereotypes for a reason, so someone always has something to ***** about..... Because secretly everyone wants to be someone they are not, or they need to blame something on someone else instead of being responsible for their own actions. Everyone wants a pity party. Be your own damn self and don't worry about what anyone else has to say. If someone tells you that you're being too "white", tell them it's better than who they are trying to be!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

pics.jpg

Morgan Freeman is black.

It's actually really sad that you assumed she was ragging on black history month just because she's white. Morgan Freeman said it, not her. She was simply pointing that out.
  • roachhaley
    Options

Okay, my logic doesn't work. Then tell me why are certain groups being hit harder with the recession? I'm always open to learning new things.

Are you actually reading what I've been saying? I've said about three times now that discrimination exists. All I was telling you off for was using faulty logic. Faulty logic is what misinforms people and makes them think things about certain groups.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

This is such nonsense. Heterosexual white men run the world. Everything is geared toward their benefit.

I have lots I would like to respond to this......unfortunately it's not worthy of a strike. :drinker:
  • jennismagic
    Options

pics.jpg

Morgan Freeman is black.

It's actually really sad that you assumed she was ragging on black history month just because she's white. Morgan Freeman said it, not her. She was simply pointing that out.

It's actually sad that you think I was ragging on her. She agrees with him, and I take exception to that opinion. FWIW, I agree with some of what he said, but I think he's wrong regarding BHM. Black history is part of American history, but it's the part few want to talk about. That's unfortunate, and in light of that, I don't mind there being a special month for it.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

I'm white, and I've been hit hard with the recession. Explain to me.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to be black? Is it more than a race? Someone told me I am 'rubbish at being black'. I live in a mainly white area, my friends and everyone around me is therefore mostly white. Racially, I identify as mixed race/latino/person of colour/black depending on whatever I want. I'm a happy go lucky boy. Why do I feel so bad that someone told me I am apathetic and not doing what I should? I just try to be a good PERSON, I don't think too much about being a good black person. Sometimes I guess I would like to know more people my own race so I don't feel a little different ffrom time to time, but I don't like to say it because it sounds like I am ungrateful for my lovely friends, when really I love them, and it isn't their fault we don't live in a diverse area. I hope it is not bad. I just interested in some thoughts because this is a forum of people cleverer than me! I hope I cause no offence. xxxxxx

I HATE people who say things like this "rubbish at being black". Being black is your race. You don't have to act a certain way, like certain things, speak a certain way....People who think this need to get a clue.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

pics.jpg

Morgan Freeman is black.

Thank you! And you dont know anything about me. I have black and interracial family...so please dont assume honey!