Being Black

Options

Replies

• HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Be who you are not what others expect you to be.

Do not let these people try to put a label on you. You're not a jar.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Does a skin color really make a difference? What's being white? People like to judge and force their opinion on others. If you're a genuine person with a good heart and a sound mind, why does it matter if you're black, white, brown, yellow? We were created in God's image, we are all beautiful.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    you are human being. now become a human 'doing'. you sound like a great person...worry about being a better person, not how 'black' a person you can be.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I have thoughts on that mindset, but I feel like since I'm NOT black, I don't really have a right to express them.

That's kinda racist...sorta...I mean...You're not 'not-black'. You are a person. Thousands have died for your right to express whatever the hell you want within the scope of accountablility for those thoughts, and what-not.

Speak. This thread is full of lots of voices. Nobody is getting *****y or hurt. We (society) needs MORE frank discussion like this.

I wouldn't say it's racist. That's a very strong and very negative word to use for what I said.

My reasoning behind it is that there IS so much racism and black people have experiences that the rest of us probably never will. I don't think it's easy to be black in this country (and probably many others). There still are a lot of racists. Many of them are not obvious. I see it and hear it every day. I have friends who have friends who are black and are their very close friends and they love them. But when too many black people move into the neighborhood, these same people start referring to it as "the ghetto" and trying to get those people evicted from their homes just because of their color. I've had white people tell me they are not comfortable with having black neighbors.

Now, my father's side of my family is Jewish and I hear similar things said about Jews, but since you can't tell by looking at me that I am a Jew, I don't deal with the every-day, blatant bigotry that someone with dark skin has to live with. And we're only really one generation removed from Jim Crow so that mindset still permeates and there's a lot of distrust.

It's such a complicated situation. I, too, believe people are people and we all deserve the same opportunities and respect. But we don't all get it in the overall culture.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I am gay too as it happens! I see what you mean about bad thing of being white straight male is not being allowed to promote anything. The good thing of it though is not HAVING to, because I don't think I am up to representing anyone, I am just trying to do a good job of being one individual! I don't mean to let any side down, I don't even know I am on a side. I don't think I even am able to express what I mean, I just want to be happy and good.

Just continue to be YOU. The individual that you are.

I don't concern myself with stereotypes. I probably get stereotyped too as being "white trash" because I am married to a black man and I sport tattooes and piercings.

I concern myself with like minded people to be in my circle, yet I will help anyone out that needs a hand, even if normally they would turn their nose up at me.

I don't take sides either.

I find it ridiculous that people box themselves into these tiny spots like that and they are missing out on so much more in life.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I wish more people were like y'all! I live in a very small southern town (pop. 3 or 4 hundred) and I don't go to church. People here are finally starting to realize (after living here over 10 years) that I am not of the devil. They are finally starting to warm up to me. I believe in God I just don't like churches.....We do live in a wonderful melting pot though. I'm Irish,German,American Indian,English,Welsh,a drop of Dutch and my kids can add Scott and more English to the mix. And who knows what else. It's all good.
  • Kittenkiss
    Kittenkiss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @poshcouture My story exactly! I'm always being told I have an "accent" because I don't speak the local slang. However, apparently my local white friends never get this comment regardless.
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    It doesn't matter. God made you as you are and He loves you.

So God is a he?
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options

I have thoughts on that mindset, but I feel like since I'm NOT black, I don't really have a right to express them.

That's kinda racist...sorta...I mean...You're not 'not-black'. You are a person. Thousands have died for your right to express whatever the hell you want within the scope of accountablility for those thoughts, and what-not.

Speak. This thread is full of lots of voices. Nobody is getting *****y or hurt. We (society) needs MORE frank discussion like this.

I wouldn't say it's racist. That's a very strong and very negative word to use for what I said.

My reasoning behind it is that there IS so much racism and black people have experiences that the rest of us probably never will. I don't think it's easy to be black in this country (and probably many others). There still are a lot of racists. Many of them are not obvious. I see it and hear it every day. I have friends who have friends who are black and are their very close friends and they love them. But when too many black people move into the neighborhood, these same people start referring to it as "the ghetto" and trying to get those people evicted from their homes just because of their color. I've had white people tell me they are not comfortable with having black neighbors.
    [/quote]

I see what you mean, I think it ican be hard for white people to give their view on issues because, as you acknowledge, it is not something you have experience of, and also sometimes people in the discussion can be quite quick to judge and suggest the person is bad if they say something wrong/they dont agree with.

I think white people should be able to talk about race too. All the better if white people can be allies to equality, we all got to work together on it! I think as long as white people is mindful of the privileges they have in relation to race, and aware that racism happens and that they don't have personal experience of it, white people can bring just as much to any race discussion. You sound very mindful and aware about all these things, your contribution is valuable.

I love that we can all talk like this and everyone involved is just wanted to learn from each oher and become more informed. How rare to discuss online an issue that can be contentious, and to do so in such a respectful way, this is great!! :D
    xxx
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    The stereo type for "Black People" is the "thug life, gangster, gold teeth, rap music, ignorant, uneducated african american person" I hate these stereotypes. Being black does not mean that. Black is just an expression. It just really sucks that there are a lot of african american's that "live up" to that name. How do you "be black"? How do you "be white"? Just because people like fried chicken and kool aide does not mean they are black. I like fried chicken & kool aide. Am I black? No. I strongly dislike the "N" word. It is so derogatory. I am from South Fla. I do have friends that use that word, they use the word in complete ignorance. I suppose because I am white i should work at a fancy job, and drive a fancy car. Be married to a wealthy man and have 2.5 kids. HELL NO! Stereotypes are silly. Be who YOU want to be. If you want to talk in slang and live up to the stereotype that America has placed on black people, then go ahead. Be proud of WHO YOU ARE. And apparently your "friend" is not a friend, it's not like you are doing everything you can to be "white" because you have made that choice to speak properly, or be well educated. You will never change who you are inside, as long as you know where your from, that is all that matters.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    You know, I stopped myself from saying the full of what I was thinking, and I've decided that I probably shouldn't.

I live in a country where the majority population is Black and I have watched racism become a larger and larger issue over the last 12 or so years, supported greatly by our Government and it really is a sad thing to watch.

Successful, well educated, well spoken blacks are called 'uncle tom's' or are accused of 'sucking up to whitey' unless they also overtly exhibit racism or questionable ethics and morals.

If being successful, well educated, and well spoken is trying to be 'white', then what do these people perceive being 'black' as? Unsuccessful? Uneducated? Poorly spoken? Criminals? Filled with hatred?
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't matter what skin color, nationality, race, sexuality, religion that ANYONE is. For Any reason. Period.:drinker:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    racistcomputers.png
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I see what you mean, I think it ican be hard for white people to give their view on issues because, as you acknowledge, it is not something you have experience of, and also sometimes people in the discussion can be quite quick to judge and suggest the person is bad if they say something wrong/they dont agree with.

I think white people should be able to talk about race too. All the better if white people can be allies to equality, we all got to work together on it! I think as long as white people is mindful of the privileges they have in relation to race, and aware that racism happens and that they don't have personal experience of it, white people can bring just as much to any race discussion. You sound very mindful and aware about all these things, your contribution is valuable.

I love that we can all talk like this and everyone involved is just wanted to learn from each oher and become more informed. How rare to discuss online an issue that can be contentious, and to do so in such a respectful way, this is great!! :D
    xxx

I was lucky to be raised by color blind parents. I mean, obviously I see that a person is black, white, green or yellow just like I see that a person has blue or green eyes or whatever. To me, that is just what you look like, not who you are. But unfortunately, not everyone thinks that way. It really wasn't until I was an adult and more exposed to the world that I saw how much irrational fear and hatred is still out there and it's very sad.

I hear so many people who care more about the color of the person their children date than whether that person is good or bad. The only thing I care about for my daughter's future boyfriends/husband is that he is kind and treats her well and loves her. The rest is irrelevant, though I do hope he's also educated and intelligent and successful. :-)

Funny story. My daughter has a friend who is black and when I met him the first time, he introduced himself as her "black friend." So I always pick on him about that. He came to her graduation party and when he left, he was saying goodbye to someone and said he was going to show the person how black people shake hands. And then he just held out his hand and shook hands. lol
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    racistcomputers.png

haha
  • chunkylover22
    chunkylover22 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love everyone's responses!! This topic, along with many others, needs to be talked about. Thank you for bringing this up, and I hope everyone has an awesome, fabulous, amazing, fantastic, wonderful, terrific day!
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Ha ha, people always say this stereotype of black people and fried chicken. Especially fat black people. This is where I am a stereotype!!! I love it, lol. I didn't happen to mention but I live in the UK. I suppose race issues are similar in UK and USA but maybe also is subtle differences. Oh wow, I am getting so wrapped up in this, I need to go, ctach you all later!! Thanks for all your thoughts!

Oh, that guy is laughable in the pciture. But what people who talk about uncle Toms and coconuts when a black person is intelligent or succesful, don't understand is theur mindset is not so far from his!!

xxx
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Waffles. Food of the gods.

Cheers, Jose!

Ha ha, people always say this stereotype of black people and fried chicken. Especially fat black people. This is where I am a stereotype!!! I love it, lol. I didn't happen to mention but I live in the UK. I suppose race issues are similar in UK and USA but maybe also is subtle differences. Oh wow, I am getting so wrapped up in this, I need to go, ctach you all later!! Thanks for all your thoughts!

Oh, that guy is laughable in the pciture. But what people who talk about uncle Toms and coconuts when a black person is intelligent or succesful, don't understand is theur mindset is not so far from his!!

xxx
  • Amailynn
    Amailynn Posts: 13
    Options
    The color of our skin shouldn't matter to anyone. Our skin doesnt make us who we are its our personality does. I have so many different races in my family.
    Feel free to add me.
  • poshcouture
    Options
    For me, it has even gone as far as the things I enjoy. I love going to the museums, the zoo, mini-putt. I listen to metal, rock, classical, jazz, electronica. I have pictures of my dog on my FB page. Seriously! I've been told that these things are stereotyped as "White" activities. Such ignorance! I've been called everything from Oreo Cookie to Coconut. Sadly it's been a life-long problem.

Sometimes, having green eyes and light skin is another mark on my record.

*Sighs*

I suppose that I've also dated interracially doesn't bode well for me either.