Being Black

Options

Replies

• Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    As a heterosexual white male, you're not being discriminated against and your equal rights aren't in jeopardy. All of us who belong to an oppressed minority group have the responsibility to stand up for ourselves and other oppressed minorities. What you call "promoting an agenda" is simply demanding equal treatment. I'm not surprised you can't empathize.

There's a lot of bias against heterosexual white males, kind of like a backlash. They will be blamed for sexism and racism first. They will be stepped over just so that a company has a woman or ethnic person in positions to fill their quota. And that's speaking as a woman. All of this just needs to find a balance but it'll take a while. I don't care about this enough to be honest, live and let live.

A white heterosexual man with a criminal background has more of chance getting a job over a black man without one. You can take a look the unemployment rates as well and see which groups are hurting the most. Trust me, white men do not as much as a hard time finding a job as a black male. Many white men over exaggerate because they know of the affirmation laws and stuff so they try to blame the regulations instead of their own flaws to why they may not be getting a job but they still don't have the hurdles that other races face.

Unemployment rates don't tell you if people are unemployed because they were discriminated against, come on. Youve gotta be smarter than that. I'm not saying discrimination doesn't happen, but your example is ridiculous.

But studies that do take different races with the same qualifications and see who gets the job does. There's been plenty of these studies done, you can look them up for yourself.
    I don't doubt that, but what you said up there made no sense at all.

Educate yourself further and it will.

You quoted ONLY unemployment rates. You can not possibly draw any conclusions regarding discrimination SOLELY based on unemployment numbers, and you know that.

I stated that's another thing you can look at basically. Its not a coincidence when the recession hit that certain groups got hit harder. If you feel otherwise then tell me why you think they got hit harder? When there aren't many jobs out there and 100 plus people fighting for the same job, who you think has more of a chance?

You were basically saying this:

Timmy has 2 green apples and 1 red apple. You can assume Timmy doesn't like red apples.

Which is wrong. And that's all I was saying. Your logic wasn't working out. I even said that I knew that discrimination happened.

Okay, my logic doesn't work. Then tell me why are certain groups being hit harder with the recession? I'm always open to learning new things.

Are you actually reading what I've been saying? I've said about three times now that discrimination exists. All I was telling you off for was using faulty logic. Faulty logic is what misinforms people and makes them think things about certain groups.

I'm not sure you understand what you are saying. If my logic is faulty and not just faulty but ridiculous, then you must have some idea of your own? You say there is discrimination but then the idea that discrimination plays in unemployment is faulty? How so if discrimination does exist? You're basically stating that discrimination doesn't exist when people try to get a job? Is that what you are saying? It doesn't happen? If so, then what is your idea on what is happening when certain groups getting hit harder with unemployment?
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to be black? Is it more than a race? Someone told me I am 'rubbish at being black'. I live in a mainly white area, my friends and everyone around me is therefore mostly white. Racially, I identify as mixed race/latino/person of colour/black depending on whatever I want. I'm a happy go lucky boy. Why do I feel so bad that someone told me I am apathetic and not doing what I should? I just try to be a good PERSON, I don't think too much about being a good black person. Sometimes I guess I would like to know more people my own race so I don't feel a little different ffrom time to time, but I don't like to say it because it sounds like I am ungrateful for my lovely friends, when really I love them, and it isn't their fault we don't live in a diverse area. I hope it is not bad. I just interested in some thoughts because this is a forum of people cleverer than me! I hope I cause no offence. xxxxxx

I HATE people who say things like this "rubbish at being black". Being black is your race. You don't have to act a certain way, like certain things, speak a certain way....People who think this need to get a clue.

Nicely put!:drinker:
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    How are we going to get rid of racism? Stop talking about it!

pics.jpg
    I follow the gospel of Mr. Freeman. That man can do no wrong...besides cheating on his wife. But he's awesome, so he gets a pass.

Black History Month exists because black history wasn't and largely still isn't recognized by the mainstream in this country. You don't need a special month because everything is tilted in your favor already. This is why I take issue with white people whining about minority-specific things.

Morgan Freeman is black.

Thank you. I hadn't noticed that in all my years of loving his films.

I was referring to the girl who quoted the pic.
    It's actually really sad that you assumed she was ragging on black history month just because she's white. Morgan Freeman said it, not her. She was simply pointing that out.

Thank you! And you dont know anything about me. I have black and interracial family...so please dont assume honey!

I didn't assume anything about you. I disagreed with what you said, and then added my opinion on the subject in general. Please learn the difference. And, please quit with "I know black people so you can't disagree with me!" thing. It's trite.
  • jambk
    jambk Posts: 1
    Options
    Gotta say. The MFP community board rocks! This is 1st time ever I go in a thread on the web about a topic like this and mostly everyone is mature and intelligent in terms of their perspective on a discussion about race. Kudos!

On a side note, as a black man myself I did get told once that a hat i was wearing "made me look more black" or even worse another person added "I actually look black now.", implying nothing about me really made me black aside from my big and tall physique. I

Like everyone else said, people have set beliefs in their minds and rarely do people want to challenge their own belief system as they are afraid often of what that says about themselves. I honestly did not make a big deal about it, these were guys I am cool with and we openly talk about anything. It comes down to you and how you feel about yourself and your identity. We live in a globalized world where all aspects of different cultures are inter-connected so this idea of "acting black" or "acting white" is irrelevant and used by people who need everything to fit a specific box. The world has changed so much but some people just like in school have a lot of catching up to do socially.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as being black.

You are a product of your environment. If you grow up with a group of individuals that talk a specific way, you are inclined to talk/act that way.

The quicker we get off this topic the quicker we can progress as a society.

I do not see color.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    As a heterosexual white male, you're not being discriminated against and your equal rights aren't in jeopardy. All of us who belong to an oppressed minority group have the responsibility to stand up for ourselves and other oppressed minorities. What you call "promoting an agenda" is simply demanding equal treatment. I'm not surprised you can't empathize.

There's a lot of bias against heterosexual white males, kind of like a backlash. They will be blamed for sexism and racism first. They will be stepped over just so that a company has a woman or ethnic person in positions to fill their quota. And that's speaking as a woman. All of this just needs to find a balance but it'll take a while. I don't care about this enough to be honest, live and let live.

A white heterosexual man with a criminal background has more of chance getting a job over a black man without one. You can take a look the unemployment rates as well and see which groups are hurting the most. Trust me, white men do not as much as a hard time finding a job as a black male. Many white men over exaggerate because they know of the affirmation laws and stuff so they try to blame the regulations instead of their own flaws to why they may not be getting a job but they still don't have the hurdles that other races face.

Unemployment rates don't tell you if people are unemployed because they were discriminated against, come on. Youve gotta be smarter than that. I'm not saying discrimination doesn't happen, but your example is ridiculous.

But studies that do take different races with the same qualifications and see who gets the job does. There's been plenty of these studies done, you can look them up for yourself.

You quoted ONLY unemployment rates. You can not possibly draw any conclusions regarding discrimination SOLELY based on unemployment numbers, and you know that.

I stated that's another thing you can look at basically. Its not a coincidence when the recession hit that certain groups got hit harder. If you feel otherwise then tell me why you think they got hit harder? When there aren't many jobs out there and 100 plus people fighting for the same job, who you think has more of a chance?

Timmy has 2 green apples and 1 red apple. You can assume Timmy doesn't like red apples.

Which is wrong. And that's all I was saying. Your logic wasn't working out. I even said that I knew that discrimination happened.

Okay, my logic doesn't work. Then tell me why are certain groups being hit harder with the recession? I'm always open to learning new things.

Are you actually reading what I've been saying? I've said about three times now that discrimination exists. All I was telling you off for was using faulty logic. Faulty logic is what misinforms people and makes them think things about certain groups.

I'm not sure you understand what you are saying. If my logic is faulty and not just faulty but ridiculous, then you must have some idea of your own? You say there is discrimination but then the idea that discrimination plays in unemployment is faulty? How so if discrimination does exist? You're basically stating that discrimination doesn't exist when people try to get a job? Is that what you are saying? It doesn't happen? If so, then what is your idea on what is happening when certain groups getting hit harder with unemployment?

O....M.....G. You lack such basic reasoning skills it is getting to be a bit ridiculous.

WHAT I SAID is that you can't ONLY give someone unemployment numbers if you want to back up claims of discrimination. How does that not make sense to you??? And have you ignored the FOUR times now I've said discrimination DOES exist? I'm just not going to reply anymore. It's sad that I'm 19 and have more logic and basic reasoning skills than someone nearly twice my age.

Let me give you another example: You want to prove Timmy hates red apples. But the ONLY information you have is that TImmy has less red apples than green apples. You can't logically draw the conclusion that Timmy hates red apples ONLY based on the information you have.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

pics.jpg
    I follow the gospel of Mr. Freeman. That man can do no wrong...besides cheating on his wife. But he's awesome, so he gets a pass.

Black History Month exists because black history wasn't and largely still isn't recognized by the mainstream in this country. You don't need a special month because everything is tilted in your favor already. This is why I take issue with white people whining about minority-specific things.

Morgan Freeman is black.

It's actually really sad that you assumed she was ragging on black history month just because she's white. Morgan Freeman said it, not her. She was simply pointing that out.

It's actually sad that you think I was ragging on her. She agrees with him, and I take exception to that opinion. FWIW, I agree with some of what he said, but I think he's wrong regarding BHM. Black history is part of American history, but it's the part few want to talk about. That's unfortunate, and in light of that, I don't mind there being a special month for it.
    Obviously you ducked out of US history in high school. Seriously, an entire month dedicated to MLK Jr. alone. And yes, you specifically pointed out she was white and said, and I quote, "This is why I take issue with white people whining about minority-specific things."
  • breakingthecyclept2
    Options
    In true honesty whether you are black or white it is important to stay healthy because when you're overweight it will affect anybody or any race! So lets all stick together on being healthy and in shape and hopefully that will keep any negative thoughts away!

I second this!
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I think I'd really like being friends with a lot of you :)
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't matter if someone's black, white, yellow, red, or purple.

Ok... maybe we draw the line at purple people. Unless they're choking. Then you should probably help them out.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

pics.jpg

Truth.
  • britlocs
    britlocs Posts: 124
    Options
    I was waiting for someone to post that ridiculous Morgan freeman quote.

Look,ignoring the problem is not the solution to anything,and a lot of people think,just because some black celebrity with a cool voice said this, doesn't make it a valid statement or a representation of how most black people feel.

I understand what Morgan says,black history is just HISTORY,white people where involved in "black history" too.lol

However black history month exists because it is barely taught its schools,probably because it might make white people feel bad and uncomfortable.Which is the exact reason why a lot of people love to quote this,because topics of race aren't something a lot of people want to deal with.Black history month is so people can be more aware of how things went down.

I can't believe people think the solution,is sticking your fingers in your ears,and going "LA LA LA"

like seriously? would you say that about ANYTHING ELSE???

How do we stop rape?

stop talking about it.

how do we stop murder?

stop talking about it.

how do we stop robbery?

stop talking about it.

like seriously,WOW.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    *looks through thread, looks at 20 foot pole...walks away*
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

O....M.....G. You lack such basic reasoning skills it is getting to be a bit ridiculous.

WHAT I SAID is that you can't ONLY give someone unemployment numbers if you want to back up claims of discrimination. How does that not make sense to you??? And have you ignored the FOUR times now I've said discrimination DOES exist? I'm just not going to reply anymore. It's sad that I'm 19 and have more logic and basic reasoning skills than someone nearly twice my age.

Why are you so upset being asked what your idea on this is? You haven't really said why it can't be used. You admit there is discrimination so what I'm asking is that you feel it does not come into play when people go for a job? Your apple example is false since it implied there is zero discrimination going on but you state there is discrimination. You don't have any idea of your own to why you feel there is higher unemployment with certain groups of people? That's all I'm asking. I didn't say unemployment was the only thing to back up claims of discrimination, you keep saying that I've said only and never did. The first line in my original comment on this is from an actual study, yes I didn't site it but as I said later on you can look up studies on this, if you're interested.
  • jennismagic
    Options

pics.jpg

Morgan Freeman is black.

It's actually sad that you think I was ragging on her. She agrees with him, and I take exception to that opinion. FWIW, I agree with some of what he said, but I think he's wrong regarding BHM. Black history is part of American history, but it's the part few want to talk about. That's unfortunate, and in light of that, I don't mind there being a special month for it.
    Obviously you ducked out of US history in high school. Seriously, an entire month dedicated to MLK Jr. alone. And yes, you specifically pointed out she was white and said, and I quote, "This is why I take issue with white people whining about minority-specific things."

Have a seat, kid. I didn't rag on her. I disagreed with her, and then I added my own opinion about the subject in general. At no point did I say she was whining. It wasn't specific to her. Also, you might want to do some research on how black history is taught in American schools, because few people learn anything about it outside of MLK, the Civil Rights Era, Crispus Attucks, and slavery.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as being black.

You are a product of your environment. If you grow up with a group of individuals that talk a specific way, you are inclined to talk/act that way.

The quicker we get off this topic the quicker we can progress as a society.

I do not see color.

<3 BEST RESPONSE EVER! Exactly what ive been trying to say.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    If you're a good human who cares what color your skin pigmentation happens to be.

This. A million times this. Who cares about the stereotypes. Just keep on being awesome. :)
  • jennismagic
    Options
    I was waiting for someone to post that ridiculous Morgan freeman quote.

It's unfortunate that people think what he said is profound. It sounds nice, but it has no actual value. Not talking about it only makes people feel less guilty about their prejudices. In fact, it allows it to go unchecked.