Gluten and dairy free recipes!

Options
pinprogress
pinprogress Posts: 6 Member
Looking for more gluten/dairy free ideas from you all! Let me know if you have any to share.

Replies

• KarissaWZ79
    KarissaWZ79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Daiya products are the best! :)
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great thread idea, it is always helpful to compare notes on gluten/dairy free foods. :-)

Daiya has the best cheese substitutes, however, less is more, especially when using Daiya cheese in casseroles, melted on top, etc. Nutritional yeast flakes can also add some cheesiness, again, less is more. Don't expect these substitutes to taste exactly like real cheese though. :-)

There are almond, coconut and soy milk yogurts...most should be gluten free, but I would always double check the ingredients. Almond milk yogurt is my personal favorite...although it doesn't look as appetizing as it tastes. :-)

Coconut oil is amazing!!!! You can basically use it anywhere you used to use butter from baking, greasing pans, to smothering on toast. :-) I have made so many dairy free recipes with coconut oil and served to company and no one was ever the wiser. :-)

I'm not sure of your location, but if you have an Aldi around, they have a lot of gluten free options for a nicer price. So far everything I have tried there has been pretty good. Their gluten free brownie mix can be made dairy free with oil, and they are really good and fudgy; although they do get sort of dry the day after you cut them, so better to not cut right until you are ready to eat.

Having the right substitutes is key to remaking a recipe to be dairy/gluten free. Coconut oil and an all purpose gluten free flour blend are super helpful. Making sure seasonings and sauces are dairy/gluten free will help with variety as well (this can vary depending on the brand).

Here are some dairy free/gluten free recipes that are "keepers" for me:

3 ingredient breakfast skillet makes a nice "breakfast for supper". : http://lexiscleankitchen.com/2015/03/27/3-ingredient-breakfast-skillet/

This summery vegetable salad is so refreshing and flavorful!: http://www.pipandebby.com/pip-ebby/2011/5/23/edamame-summer-salad.html

These chicken legs are amazing! They aren't super spicy, which is perfect for us, but it you like more kick, I'm sure you could up it with more chili powder or maybe some red pepper flakes.: http://www.mrshappyhomemaker.com/sweet-spicy-roasted-chicken-legs/

Looking forward to hearing ideas from others. :-)
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oh! Also, when you are on the run and need a quick granola bar...Kind bars are gluten free and certain ones are dairy free as well. My current dairy/gluten free Kind bar favorite is the popped salted caramel. :smile:
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I lightly sprinkle nutritional yeast on things where dairy is normally used.
  • pinprogress
    pinprogress Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I have been dairy free for a year but gluten free for 3 months. It's really made me prep more than before and I feel great. I do work in a restaurant so I pack all of my own food since there aren't great options at my job. I have been using corn tortillas a lot and have even had some gf bread, although it's so expensive. Thinking about making my own.
  • ooaa2014
    ooaa2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like this thread idea - need some more ideas
  • jessicawoodward0421
    Options
    Larabars are awesome! I have been making icecream using bananas and added ingredients in like honey and cinnamon for a fun flavor. Even made some using strawberries and nothing else they are sweet enough. Just puree them and put in a freezer container w lid and freeze.
    I have found that smoothies help me when I am wanting to hurry out and still want to be good. Pinterest has a bunch of df/gf recipes. Sometimes I add frozen berries and a banana w oatmeal (not cooked) and some coconut milk or almond milk and blend it. Sooo good.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    DH is dairy free for the most part but he doesn't eat fake dairy, he eats real food. He does eat yogurt because of the lacto bacillus acid and the probiotics it contains, but otherwise it's cereal with Rice Dream (enriched), rice cakes and guacamole for lunch, and whatever I make for dinner - chicken or fish, sweet potatoes or rice, and a green salad or roasted vegetables.

OK, I guess the Rice Dream is sort of a fake food. At least it's enriched.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    caveman bars gfdf.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am not dairy free, but am gluten free. My diary is open if you are looking for ideas. Most of my dinners are homemade and lunches are leftover from the night before. Feel free to PM me if you want any recipes.