Have I started too late in life?

Options
SamF1964
SamF1964 Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hello. I am a 52 yr old grandmother of two. I use to be very active and physically fit, however 15 years ago, I injured my back and now live with a herniated disk. Because of this disk, (no surgery) I have become obese and so out of shape I can barely walk to my car. I now am having other health issues such as bone spurs in my feet and neck and now my lower legs are beginning to swell and turn red, which is a sign of lymphedema and poor circulation... I hurt too much to move alot, this is the last charge of this ol' grey mare. I have to do something or else I'm afraid I'm done.

Replies

• guzja
    guzja Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You are still young. We'll all do it together :)
  • fit4itall
    fit4itall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You are alive, therefore no it is not too late to take care of yourself!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can do this! You are never too old. Just start slowly and take each day as it comes. Dig into the forums here - they are fun, motivating and you will find lots of interesting info and advice. I am turning 50 in August and will have lost 45 lbs by then! BTW - I have two prolapsed discs which I am learning to manage.
  • SamF1964
    SamF1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouraging words.. I just feel alone in this.. and my husband, who loves me dearly, just say's "your big now and you'll always be big, just leave it alone".. and that just hurts.. I don't want to be "always big".. I want to live again.
  • lesleyann2711
    lesleyann2711 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Take it steady, 52 is no age to give up. You need to get fit to run around as your grand children get older, it's a nannys job
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    SamF1964 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your encouraging words.. I just feel alone in this.. and my husband, who loves me dearly, just say's "your big now and you'll always be big, just leave it alone".. and that just hurts.. I don't want to be "always big".. I want to live again.

Don't listen to him. It is certainly possible if you give it a try.no matter how hard it gets don't give up
    Use mfp as your weightloss family so you won't feel lonely
    Your husband will be so surprised and proud when you reach your goals and so will you
    Good luck
  • Pascooty
    Pascooty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    At 52 years young, you still have a lot of life to live! I'd talk to your doctor to see how you can start to get healthier in a safe manner, related to your conditions. There are also a lot of great people on MFP to support/motivate you on your journey. :smile:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Well, the good news is that weight loss can be done through calorie deficit. You don't need to move around a lot, and as the weight comes off, you may find that you are able to do more. Are you able to see a physiotherapist to help you set up a program that will work with the limitations you have? Are you able to swim? In the meantime, start logging the food that you are eating and see where you can make some changes. It can take a while to get the hang of it. Some foods will keep you feeling full longer than others. You CAN do it!
  • karenjonesmuller
    karenjonesmuller Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It never too late....I'm 50 and started out seriously on this journey 2 weeks ago. One day at a time is my mantra at the moment. Use MFP family for encouragement and motivation. You CAN do it!!
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    52 is YOUNG ! That said, I seen 60-70+ year olds on hear - many of them inspirational, and many of them benefit from just tracking. I say the same for my friends with disabilities. You're not done, just starting !! Feel free to friend me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No not too late - I started to get back into shape slightly earlier (50) but now at 56 I'm probably fitter than ever.
    Doing my first 100 mile cycle ride of the season in a couple of weeks.

Start with getting your diet under control - losing weight will make your injuries far easier to live with. I've had multiple herniations and very compressed lumbar discs and I have less pain and far higher functional capabilities in my 50's than in my 30's and 40's.

Strengthening abs/core helps support an injured spine - I used a gym ball to work up from a very low start point.
    Cycling or swimming may be suitable forms of cardio for you.

Take it steady and don't ever give up.
  • duddydave77
    duddydave77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and trying this for a second time. At work I'm the oldest on my team and being surrounded by younger people has been good for me. They are supportive, willing to give advice and 4 of them are also joined me in regaining a better lifestyle. I don't have a partner and I'm doing this for me. You can do this for you as well. You don't have to join a gym. I have a park near by and I'll be doing some walking as a bit of light exercise. If you can't walk far, just give yourself small goals like today, walk to the car and back, tomorrow walk past the car and back, and aim to get down the street and back again. Small movement will help circulation. As for the pain, see your doctor ask for help. Use the internet to help you understand food and what you are eating. Weigh out your food as portion control will also help. There are so many ways to improve your position in life. You can add me as a friend if you like I haven't added anyone at all yet.
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Samf.. I'm 55 with 115 lbs to lose. I started the day after xmas ,as of last sunday i have lost 51 lbs. It's not too late, its never too late. you do not have to settle on being Big. MFP has been a huge help to me, i have learned so much about nutrition and proper diet and how to safely lose weight without starving myself. Please do not get overwhelmed, whatever amount you would like to lose can seem like an overwhelming obstacle , look at 1 pound at a time... lose 1 pound... thats how i set my goals... 1 pound. i lose 1 pound. then set another goal of 1 pound and so on and so on... You can do this, your not alone.
  • Beth150Ann
    Beth150Ann Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm also 52 and just starting this journey with 50 or so lbs to lose. My plan is to watch my food intake and slowly start moving everyday. Stretching and walking. I feel so stiff and inflexible anymore and everything hurts and I'm darn mad about it. We are NOT ready to give up. Feel free to friend me and me can support each other. We can do this -- we can feel better :smile:
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 as well. We can do this! Trust me that we can. I know because my 76 year old father lost 100 pounds when he was 71. Probably saved his life. Never too late. We have much life and much ahead of us. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. Doug in Akron.
  • LisaKing55
    LisaKing55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is great advise and positive reinforcement from your peers. Make a plan to check with a doctor to come up with a new life plan. Changing little habit that have become the norm will be affective as well. How you prepare your food and the portion that are consumed will be a big part of your new life. Energy will come back on its own with a slight push. I personally eat less when I exercise, swimming is a great idea or start walking around your house.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 61. Four years ago and one herniated disk later, I decided that I wanted a long, healthy life and sense of physical well-being. I got to my goal weight and have stayed there. Why would any age be too late?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    SamF1964 wrote: »
    Hello. I am a 52 yr old grandmother of two. I use to be very active and physically fit, however 15 years ago, I injured my back and now live with a herniated disk. Because of this disk, (no surgery) I have become obese and so out of shape I can barely walk to my car. I now am having other health issues such as bone spurs in my feet and neck and now my lower legs are beginning to swell and turn red, which is a sign of lymphedema and poor circulation... I hurt too much to move alot, this is the last charge of this ol' grey mare. I have to do something or else I'm afraid I'm done.

You can do it at any age and in any condition. :) Don't worry about exercise and just start eating better as in measuring and weighing your foods and try to eat healthier. You can lose without exercise and eventually you will get to where you can do more. Good luck!
  • derek9964
    derek9964 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 51 and been going about a year now, the help on here has been great anyone feel free to add me