Green tea

Options
Does green tea suppress your appetite, speed up your metabolism, or neither? Do you drink it and what are your thoughts?

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It hasn't done either one for me. I just take it in pill and liquid form to help my immune system, per doctor recommendation.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I drank it, then I quit.
    I gained weight.
    I started drinking it again, and started losing.
    I don't know why.... but I will drink 2 glasses a day for the rest of my life.
    It could be the caffeine - so be it.
    Never take supplement pills to lose weight. They can be dangerous
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Neither. I do like it though.
  • michelleufcom
    michelleufcom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    People on youtube have credited it in helping them lose weight! They say to drink it in the morning and then again before bed. I'll be trying it this week, so I'll let you know if it makes a difference.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    People on youtube have credited it in helping them lose weight! They say to drink it in the morning and then again before bed. I'll be trying it this week, so I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

It wont
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    hot green tea is great for inducing vomit. Iced green tea is delicious.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Green tea is a stimulant, so depending on the amount you have... it could do both. It could do neither. It could just be a tasty beverage.

You wont get any extra benefit from green tea that you wouldnt from caffiene.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I drink it almost every day and it hasn't helped with weight loss at all. I drink it because I like it, and want caffeine (I can't drink coffee).
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    It won't help you lose weight more any other beverage.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I loose weight drinking tea, in general... Because I sip, instead of snack. No magic.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Any form of caffeine is an appetite suppressant.
    After I drink by green tea (lipton cold brew over ice with lemon), I feel warmer, sometimes to the point of breaking a sweat. Not sure if this is an increase in metabolism or what, but I like it :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    And people on YT are full of......
    Green tea and crap.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    And people on YT are full of......
    Green tea and crap.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!
  • JenRainbow1
    JenRainbow1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people make all these claims for green tea. I started drinking herbal teas years ago and it hasn't made a difference, I've still put on weight. The only good thing is the one I'm drinking apparently (according to this website) only has 1 calorie.
    I never believe the claims they make for most things, most of the advice is usually not based on real science. I'm not sure about the science behind green tea but I don't trust the claims they make generally
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The studies done on green tea only showed a very modest increase in weight loss (2.5 lb in three months I believe) over the control group. And the participants were also dieting/exercising, not just drinking tea. To me, that small of a difference isnt worth it if you hate the taste so much that you have to add a lot of sugar to like it.
    If you happen to like green tea, great, it certainly has antioxidants and health benefits, but if you dont like it, dont choke ut down just fir weight loss.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    In my personal experience, when I tried drinking it daily to lose weight, it neither suppressed my appetite nor caused weight loss.
    ETA-didnt suppress my appetite any more than anything else with caffeine, which wasnt enough to make much of a difference.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Green tea is great for.......hydration.
  • sahsajoy
    sahsajoy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink a 6oz cup of Matcha every morning. It is powdered green tea and is claimed to have the health benefits of 10 glasses of brewed green tea. I am not a huge fan of the flavor so I add a slice of lemon and occasionally a bit of honey with it. I know it makes me feel better when I do drink it and mostly it sets the tone for my day. If I start out on what I have set for my plan first thing I tend to stick with my eating plan all day. I started this 5 weeks ago and I have lost 15 lbs. I am not sure if the Matcha is helping or if it is just helping me make good choices all day long. Either way it is working and I feel a lot better so I am sticking with it.
  • becky5595
    becky5595 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup or two of Lipton Lemon Ginseng green tea in the evenings. That's the hardest time of the day for me. It helps to fill my stomach up and keeps me satisfied. Even if it's just psychological on my part, if it works, that's what counts. :) (Green tea is an acquired taste, but the flavored ones help)