Appetite in overdrive!

Options
Do you ever have a day where you are just unusually hungry? I did work out this morning, but it was one of my lighter workouts. I am 900 calories in to my 1600 daily goal. (All non-processed calories). I just can't seem to get satisfied! What do you all do to stay on track when you have a day like this?

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Besides just forcing yourself to keep in calories? I have no idea... There are days i'm 100% content eating 1,200 calories. Other days? I could eat a steak the size of my head and still want more food. It seems to only happen when i do strength training. It just runs me into the ground. I've recently added more protein but hasn't seemed to help.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I drink alot of black coffee, and that seems to help (probably not healthy though).
    Drink some water, chew gum...that helps too.
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If I notice I'm unusually hungry, I find that upping my fiber and protein intake helps immensely! Good ol' chicken and broccoli is great, as are apples and Greek yogurt. Eating eggs and oatmeal earlier in the day usually helps me stay satiated for the rest of the day. A quick google search of "high fiber" and "high protein" foods will also help you find foods that you like and can fit into your day.
  • brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure to eat back at least part of your calories. Your body uses more calories when you work out, especially if you're doing cardio. Your body needs the extra fuel to stay healthy. Most fitness trackers OVERESTIMATE calorie burns, so I usually eat back only 50% of my workout calories. Hope this helps!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had to eat about 1000 calories over goal yesterday to feel content. It doesn't happen often but when it does I just go with it.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough nutrient dense foods or getting enough water but it's too hard to say because everyone is different.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah. Some days/weeks I'm just hungry it happens. Keeping an accurate log has helped me to notice patterns such as increased cravings near Shark Week, I tend to be hungrier the day after exercise than I am the day of, stress, etc. And there are still some days where I'm just hungry. I do my best to make good food choices to help satiate that hunger. Often I succeed, other times, I succumb to a jar of peanut butter and a spoon. I'm still very happy with the progress I have been making.

ETA: If you've just reduced your intake or changed your calorie targets, it can take a couple weeks for your body to readjust. So if you started in the last week or so, give it a week and see how you feel before adjusting anything.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    Besides just forcing yourself to keep in calories? I have no idea... There are days i'm 100% content eating 1,200 calories. Other days? I could eat a steak the size of my head and still want more food. It seems to only happen when i do strength training. It just runs me into the ground. I've recently added more protein but hasn't seemed to help.

I also get crazy strength training hunger! I can do hard core cardio and feel no increased hunger, but spend 45 minutes in the weight room and I want to eat all the things.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You can add in A LOT of bulky raw veggies with very little caloric impact.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    If I have too many calories to early then I stop eating and have coffee and water, and just wait for dinner. You still have 700 calories left for the day, which is a lot of food still to be had. If you don't have a medical condition which requires you to eat at specific times throughout the day, just put the fork down lol. Try to keep your mind occupied so you are not focused on food. Part of losing weight and transitioning to a healthy lifestyle is to learn how to eat within your means, and learning to ignore "hunger pangs" when you've already eaten. Back when I used to binge eat I found if I ate early in the day it would set me up to go way over on my calories for the day, because I would eat constantly. I tried only eating in thre evenings, and that wasn't a solution for me as I would feel horrible during the day, so now i do eat breakfast and lunch, but it's just controlled and functional. With breakfast, I truly to get healthy fats in combination with carbs for a more sustained energy release, which usually amounts to Kiefer in the morning with fruit. Lunch is similar, usually fruit and nuts. Dinner is my biggest meal, and I don't pay too much attention to the macros for that, aside from ensuring that I hit my protien macro. I no longer snack, and I make certain my breakfast and lunch are 300 calories or less, so I can still splurge on dinner. I am a quantity eater, I like large portions so to keep large portions I focus mainly on whole foods, as they seem to be lower in calories and higher in nutrients. I also love carbs, so I eat tons of fruit, but since pairing it with a fat seems to keep the energy level instead of having sugar spikes. I am saying this as an example - you have to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am SO having that day today. I'm wanting to eat EVERYTHING in sight. I'm allowing myself to eat a bit more today, okay....A LOT MORE today, but I'm ok with it. I weight train pretty heavily but today is a rest day, so this is a bit unusual for me.

I'm just going to listen to by body and eat a sandwich.
  • ldyblessed
    ldyblessed Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take this b good day eat what I want if only stay away salty cheetos that is my biggest problem It hurt my weight this morning I only did 1 evening so I know not do that again .I was doing pretty good last week but I am going pick myself up keep going.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'm extra extra hungry today, not really sure why. I did keep my deficit yesterday and had an unusual evening workout (previously only mornings, but it's been about a week since I exercised at all). I haven't stopped thinking about food! I've had 2/3 of my snacks for the day and 1/2 my lunch so far and no end in sight. Going to trick myself by getting busy (take kids to playground or something) and try to keep to my goal for today. I do have wiggle room in my calories, my actual goal is 1900 but I have been trying to get closer to 1700.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that lately I've been getting hungrier and my endurance has been suffering as the week goes on, and I'm just doing cardio and haven't implemented strength training yet. This week I've started upping my protein to see if it increases satiety, and I'm going for 1700-1900 calories daily instead of the 1500-1700 that I've been adhering to thus far. 6'1 300lbs male btw. Once I start on strength training I'll probably even boost up to 2000-ish, depending on my results.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I always have at least one or two extra hungry days when I exercise or have eaten around 1200 cals for too many days in a row.

Since I am back on the weight loss wagon, week 2 of strict counting and consistent exercise, this week seems to be better. I ate low yesterday. Today I'm at about my limit of 1400 and am not eating back my exercise cals. I'm hoping my stomach will get used to things being at the lower end. I have bought a lot of fruit and baby bell peppers and such to fill the void in those hungry hungry days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? When my appetite spikes up premenstrually, I honor it and eat at maintenance for a few days.