How to stop yourself

Options
How can I stop myself from eating while I'm bored? I try to entertain my mind with other stuff but it seems like I eat if it's there or I know it's there and I'm bored... Any tips?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, take up knitting especially socks(very challenging), read a book or learn to play an instrument.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I first I was like that, but it gets easier the longer you commit to mfp. At first I used to drink a lot of tea and herbal tea to have sth with no calorie. Also chewing gums! or brushing my teeth in the afternoon so I wouldn't want to eat when my mouth was minty fresh :) or before mfp, I used to eat while watching tv late at night a lot... now, I paint my nails at that time instead ;) can't do both at the same time and I often have perfect manucure nowadays! lol
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do something else, and/or don't keep snack foods in the house.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    There's nothing "fun" to eat in my house. If I want it, I have to go walk for it. Raw celery and spinach can't do a lot of damage.

The suggestion of painting nails, keeping hands busy and herbal teas are great.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like to get sparkling water drinks with a little flavor. The slight sweetness makes me think I'm having a treat and usually does the trick.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I cut apples slices super thin so I get lots of bites when I'm feeling munchy or carrots ...you can snack on both of those and get some crunch for not a lot of cals:)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Take up a new hobby. I replaced my mindless eating time with jewelry making and it's really helped.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Pick a hobby where you need to use both hands. Knitting and such. Harder to eat if you have no hands to use.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I find drinking tea hot or cold sweetened with no calorie sweetener works best for me.
  • Milasha232016
    Milasha232016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I have free time I go for a walk to the park with my dog or clothing store and try on new clothes.
    Walk on my treadmill and watch a movie.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Any kind of hand-crafting would help! The one costs the least (and also the most convenient, imo) would be origami. All you need are just paper, clean & dry hands, and patience (and of course, the folding instructions!). Once you get into it, it'll be really hard to get your hands off the paper (not to mention grabbing anything to eat :wink: ).
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    When I get like this in the afternoon I have a cup of tea, either green or black. Caffeine suppresses the appetite
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't know your situation, but in my household I am the chief grocery getter, meal planner and chef. I deal with the snacking thing by not having many tempting snacks around. I do keep apples, vita tops and 100 calorie mini bags of popcorn on hand. The mini bags have been particularly handy and effective. No more than one a day of course. Ultimately willpower, and keeping your eyes on the goal are what will see you through.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I literally have to leave the house some days. If I can't, I go on Pinterest to the health and fitness section and browse or come here!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Find a solution that fits you. Maybe you can start snacking on almonds. Maybe you can find what triggers your boredom.