Getting things in proportion.

I really hope I can get some help. I've lost 37lbs so far and 4lbs off my target, but now my upper body is a bit too skinny and my legs, especially my calves, are still quite chubby.

I've been reading about recomposition. Might that be an answer, or would it be better to try loosing more weight until I'm more in balance.

Replies

• chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    It's up to you to decide what goal is more important to you right now. If you want to build up your muscle in certain areas you're going to need to eat in a surplus. If you want to lose fat you're going to need to be in a deficit. Some people like to save the surplus until Winter but if you don't mind doing it now, I say do it now. I'd rather build up now then cut later. You might need to go through multiple cycles of cut/bulk so again it's your personal decision
  • caprihana
    caprihana Posts: 38 Member
    chelseafxx wrote: »
    Some people like to save the surplus until Winter but if you don't mind doing it now, I say do it now. I'd rather build up now then cut later. You might need to go through multiple cycles of cut/bulk so again it's your personal decision

Thanks Chelsea, I think I'm going to try a few bulk/cut cycles and see how I get on.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2016
    You don't need to eat in a surplus to gain muscle!
    You just need muscle stimulus and an adequate diet without an excessive calorie deficit.

Bulk/cut cycles are not required for everyone! A highly trained and lean individual maybe, your regular Joe or Jane in the street without advanced strength or body composition goals - no.

Whatever you do you need to start training if you want to build muscle, that's the key to recomp.
    What are you currently doing?

Worth a read...
    https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/
  • caprihana
    caprihana Posts: 38 Member
    I'm currently doing cardio with pilates and whilst there is a definite improvement in my body tone I need to do more to look balanced. Thanks for the link, that's helped explain the pros and cons of cut and bulk, I'll relook at recomping because that may suit be better.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    You don't need to eat in a surplus to gain muscle!
    You just need muscle stimulus and an adequate diet without an excessive calorie deficit.

Bulk/cut cycles are not required for everyone! A highly trained and lean individual maybe, your regular Joe or Jane in the street without advanced strength or body composition goals - no.

Whatever you do you need to start training if you want to build muscle, that's the key to recomp.
    What are you currently doing?

Worth a read...
    https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

very true I should have explained that better. Listen to this guy OP :)
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    If you're doing cardio and Pilates your should probably start thinking about strength training and lifting heavy if you want to recomp.