Low Calorie Hot Drinks

Options
Was in an interesting predicament tonight where due to a sore throat I wanted a hot drink but wasn't sure what I could have. It's too late for coffee, and I don't have the calories for hot chocolate. A friend suggested making some sugar free squash with hot water which is a suitable low calorie option and helps with a sore throat.

It got me thinking though, what do some of you drink when you want something hot but don't have lots of calories left for the day?

Replies

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Tea? Black, green, herbal, fruity.... I get a type that tastes like caramel apple pie, it's sweetened with stevia.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    tea. no calories unless you add something to it like sugar or milk. plain it has zero calories. and you can get really nummy herbal teas with no caffiene for the evening
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    peppermint tea sweetened with stevia. i like it with or without some non-fat or low-fat milk, but milk isn't too good for a sore throat. with stevia, it has no calories at all. i also like stash teas lemon ginger tea with stevia - other brands you can only taste the ginger. and sometimes a fruity tea like strawberry or apple.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Tea, cider. I really like drinking broth when my throat is sore
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I use Emergen-C grape or orange. 30 cals and I use a huge mug so it dilutes it and gives me lots to drink. And the extra vit. C probably doesn't hurt either.
  • msheepy00
    msheepy00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend checking out a loose lead tea shop like David's Tea or Teavana. Huge selections of loose leaf with varying caffeine levels and combo's. I prefer Davids Tea because you get free samples with every order so that you can try out different options. I am a sucker for fruity herbal teas. I have at least one cup a day!
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Tea-green, fruity, herbal......no calories and satisfies that need for something warm and comforting.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love Bengal Spice by Celestial Seasonings. It's like chai tea, but no caffeine. I also like Maxwell House sugar free decaf Vanilla Cafe. It's only around 30 calories, and it's a nice little treat to have once a day.
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I should've expected all the tea comments actually. I've never tried a tea that I liked.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    In the UK we have Options, which is a hot chocolate for 40 calories a cup and it's pretty tasty! I usually have one in the evening after dinner to get rid of my cravings. Otherwise, yep it's tea for me too I'm afraid! There's always hot ribena but I'm not sure what the sugar and calories would be like in that as I haven't drunk it for years.
  • kirakinss
    kirakinss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Vanilla rooibos tea (especially the celestial seasonings brand) with 1 Cup of microwaved and frothed cashew milk. Comes out to only 25 calories and I top it off with a couple drops of stevia. I know some people like to add a couple tablespoons of cool whip to make it more decadent but still relatively low in calories. I love my tea time with a cookie so I guess that sort of negates the low calorie tea haha.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    http://www.alpinecider.com/products.shtml The sugar free cider is 15 calories.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    jmgj27 wrote: »
    In the UK we have Options, which is a hot chocolate for 40 calories a cup and it's pretty tasty! I usually have one in the evening after dinner to get rid of my cravings. Otherwise, yep it's tea for me too I'm afraid! There's always hot ribena but I'm not sure what the sugar and calories would be like in that as I haven't drunk it for years.

I generally get the 500ml bottles of ready-made Ribena light, pour half the bottle into a mug and stick it in the microwave. Hot Ribena for 10cals.

Options mint hot chocolate is also a good go-to, if you can get old of some, or something along those lines. My usuals are Options mint hot chocolate or microwaves ribena light.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Jarrah's Milk Chocolate Chocolatte (basically hot chocolate) is 47cal a packet, and you can add minimal milk.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    DrusiliaDD wrote: »
    I should've expected all the tea comments actually. I've never tried a tea that I liked.

If you go to an actual tea shop, as opposed to the coffee/tea aisle at a supermarket, there will be so many varieties. I would be shocked if you couldn't find ONE that you liked.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    tea
  • mfo1488
    mfo1488 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As an alternative to tea: plain chicken broth seasoned with pepper and whatever herbs you like. Has a few calories, but not many -- and more importantly, has zero sugar. Perfect for sore throat.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Tea with honey is my ultimate sore throat preference.