Calorie question

Options
How much of a calorie defecit is too much? I have been keeping a 1000 calorie defecit and want to make sure that is okay.
Thanks for any help!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Are you saying your under your calorie goal by 1000 or that you have MFP set to 2 lb per week loss?

Typical recommendations are:

- No more than 1% of your body weight per week
    - 0.5 lb per week loss (250 cal deficit) if you have 25 lbs or less to lose
    - 1 lb per week loss (500 cal deficit) if you have 25 -50 lbs to lose
    - 1.5 lb per week loss (750 cal deficit) if you have 50-75 lbs to lose
    - 2 lb per week loss (1000 cal deficit) if you have 75 + lbs to lose
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    They generally say not to go below 1200cals for females, and that 500 below your TDEE is more than enough to lose a sensible 1lb a week without exercise
  • gpsepulveda
    gpsepulveda Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses!
    MFP has me at 1200. It goes over 1200 every day because of activity. I eat some of my activity calories but not all.
    I track activity with my Fitbit so I make sure on the Fitbit dashboard that my calories in are 1000 less than my calories out.
    I have MFP set to 2 pounds a week but I'm working on dropping 42 pounds so maybe I should switch to 1.5 a week.

Thanks again for feedback!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,189 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses!
    MFP has me at 1200. It goes over 1200 every day because of activity. I eat some of my activity calories but not all.
    I track activity with my Fitbit so I make sure on the Fitbit dashboard that my calories in are 1000 less than my calories out.
    I have MFP set to 2 pounds a week but I'm working on dropping 42 pounds so maybe I should switch to 1.5 a week.

Thanks again for feedback!

At 42 pounds to lose 1 pound per week would be better.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    Options
    I generally prefer to look at things as TDEE -20% for anyone who is not obese; up to TDEE - 25% while obese.

By the time you finish cooking the numbers most people have a TDEE such that a deficit of approximately 500 Cal for about 1lb a week is as fast as they should go.