help with what my macro's

Options
I have been using myfitnesspal around a month. At first I let myfittness set my goals. It had me eating 1500 calories a day. I am 5'7 295 lbs was 318 when i started. I changed it to 1200 calories a day, my problem is i don't know what i should set my macro nutrients to for 1200 calories. Can i please get suggestion on what they should be. I'm not very active.

Daily Nutrition Goals

Calories 1200

Carbohydrates 150 g 50 %

Fat 40 g 30 %

Protein 60 g 20 %

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why change it to 1200? were you losing on 1500?

as for macros it has nothing to do with weight loss...it's about health.

MFP will default to the Minimum recommended when you set it up.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you don't want to use the default macro settings?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    why change it to 1200? were you losing on 1500?

as for macros it has nothing to do with weight loss...it's about health.

MFP will default to the Minimum recommended when you set it up.

^^THIS^^^ You're aiming for something sustainable, right?
  • theresam2469
    theresam2469 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was loosing at the 1500 but after reading a few things online it said i could go down to 1200 due to being so heavy. I was hoping if i changed the calories to 1200 i would loose a little more per week, myfitness does not manually calculate the nutrients if you enter the calories manually. I will add more calories once i get the weight off so i can maintain my weight. I am not eating anything process, no potatoes, pasta, nothing white. I am eating healthy.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I was loosing at the 1500 but after reading a few things online it said i could go down to 1200 due to being so heavy. I was hoping if i changed the calories to 1200 i would loose a little more per week, myfitness does not manually calculate the nutrients if you enter the calories manually. I will add more calories once i get the weight off so i can maintain my weight. I am not eating anything process, no potatoes, pasta, nothing white. I am eating healthy.

your goal should be to eat as much food as you can and still lose reasonable amount of weight not as little food as possible be hungry to lose as much as fast as possible.

Healthy eating is mute for weight loss...I've lost 50lbs eating pizza, cakes, chocolate bars and drinking...along with "healthy foods"

MFP does calculate nutrients when entered in manually...only time it doesn't is "quick adds'
  • theresam2469
    Options
    thank you Sezxy Stef. i will check again on entering manually.
  • caribbeanlove23
    caribbeanlove23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your macros seem a bit off.. Should be eating majority protein that is what your body needs most. I eat 40% protein and 30% fat and carbs
  • theresam2469
    Options
    Your macros seem a bit off.. Should be eating majority protein that is what your body needs most. I eat 40% protein and 30% fat and carbs

Thank you
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Just to echo what others have said - myfitnesspal does edit the nutrients for you, when you change the amount of calories in your goal. They will always recommend the guideline amounts..

Doing anything different to them isn't neccesary unless there is a particular nutrient you feel you'd like to have more of, or you are looking in to a diet that does ask you to eat specific amounts of nutrients.. and then you can go into MFP and change the percentages of those manually too.
  • rockymytdeb
    rockymytdeb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm. Currently working with a registered nutritionist. 1200 calories is too low for your weight. She has my macros at 80 to 100 g carbs and 100g protein, 1300 to 1500 calories ( I weigh 170) Macros do matter. Carbs fill up your glycogen stores, when your body reaches it's max for glycogen the extra goes into your fat cells. Yes, CICO is important, but where those calories come from is too. I am losing 1 to 2 lbs a week.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    I'm. Currently working with a registered nutritionist. 1200 calories is too low for your weight. She has my macros at 80 to 100 g carbs and 100g protein, 1300 to 1500 calories ( I weigh 170) Macros do matter. Carbs fill up your glycogen stores, when your body reaches it's max for glycogen the extra goes into your fat cells. Yes, CICO is important, but where those calories come from is too. I am losing 1 to 2 lbs a week.

I find that very interesting because to me macros do matter too... but it seems I am doing quite the opposite to you with your ratios!
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Try a new nutritionist. Your body has clear priorities, specifically:

1. To stay alive (this your bmr)
    2. To fuel the activities of daily life and exercise (the extra consumption that makes up your TDEE)
    3. To replenish glycogen stores with 'spare' glucose
    4. To add to fat stores once all of the above is fully fuelled

Carbs are converted to glucose to fuel these activities, but so is protein. Fat is processed differently, but that would be a long and boring description so please google this if you are interested. The balance of CI and CO is all that matters to your body for weight loss or gain. You could eat high protein, moderate fat and zero carbs but still gain weight if you consume more calories than you burn.

Having said that, different people have found different macro ratios better for satiety. I would suggest that if the OP is finding it easy to stick to calorie restriction on these ratios then don't change anything. If OP is struggling with hunger, first increase calorie consumption to a more sustainable level (MFP can advise on an apropriate level when you insert your stats and set the loss to 2lb a week or less). Once you have tried this with the default macros, assess how hungry you are feeling throughout the day. If it feels unsustainable, try increasing either fat or protein for a few weeks to see if that works. Repeat with different ratios until you find your sweet spot.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Let MyFitnessPal set the macros for you: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.
    Potatoes are not processed. They come right out of the ground and are good for you if they fit into your calories.
    Leave your calories at 1500. That is a low enough number for you to lose weight at a good pace. :)
    Remember that the main point is that you want to be successful. You want to keep things as simple and as easy as possible so that you can get to your goal weight.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I find that very interesting because to me macros do matter too... but it seems I am doing quite the opposite to you with your ratios!

yes they matter for health...but not for weight loss.

Where calories come from is irrelevant for weight loss....for energy and nutrition yes.

a registered nutritionist may or may not have the qualifications to set calorie/macro goals...I highly doubt most have these qualifications.

Carbs do not translate to fat if glycogen is filled up...extra calories translate to fat...and those extra calories can come from fat, carbs or protein.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options

Where calories come from is irrelevant for weight loss....for energy and nutrition yes.

a registered nutritionist may or may not have the qualifications to set calorie/macro goals...I highly doubt most have these qualifications.

Carbs do not translate to fat if glycogen is filled up...extra calories translate to fat...and those extra calories can come from fat, carbs or protein.

For me they matter for weight loss - not irrelevant at all.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

For me they matter for weight loss - not irrelevant at all.

scientifically they don't matter for weight loss...so yes irrelevant for weight loss.

Note however I said they are important for health and to a point fitness.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    There is much research out there now that points to different ratios of macros and how they can benefit weight loss. Worth a read if you are open minded.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    There is much research out there now that points to different ratios of macros and how they can benefit weight loss. Worth a read if you are open minded.

sure link them in.

but that being said "benefit" vs "cause" are two different things.

Regardless of the ratio if you are over your maintenance in calories you won't lose weight.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options

sure link them in.

Regardless of the ratio if you are over your maintenance in calories you won't lose weight.

I think you're going to have to let it go and agree to disagree with me. Better all round for the poor OP's thread I think!!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

sure link them in.

I think you're going to have to let it go and agree to disagree with me. Better all round for the poor OP's thread I think!!

that's fine but the fact you can't produce the links to any peer reviewed studies means your statements can't be backed up....and it is up to the person claiming they have proof to produce it.

For example
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3418611/
    which has this statement in the abstract
    <snip>
    The results suggested that the proportion of macronutrients in the diet was not important in predicting changes in weight or WC.
    <snip>

For the OP that means something...there is no point in worrying about macros at this point....they aren't for weight loss...for the OP it means that there is no need to lower calories yet.

Lose weight at a reasonable pace as you are now at 1500 and don't worry about macros for weight loss.