Low Calorie Hot Drinks

Options

Replies

• tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Options or highlights for hot chocolate is about 40 calories without added sugar.
    I have never drank coffee buy used to be a tea monster with sugar ,now when I have tea I just have it without anything apart from milk.
    Hot squash is always good if got a sore throat too or maybe hot milk on its own
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like General Foods International French Vanilla Sugar Free Decaf mix. 30 calories. Swiss Miss makes a 25 calorie diet hot cocoa.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Herbal teas or sugar-free apple cider are my go-to hot drinks that are low calorie.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hot marmite :). Lovely and savoury!

I also do ginger and lemon, bouillon (got to watch the salt there) and warm milk.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    mfo1488 wrote: »
    As an alternative to tea: plain chicken broth seasoned with pepper and whatever herbs you like. Has a few calories, but not many -- and more importantly, has zero sugar. Perfect for sore throat.
    I love hot broth.
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Republic of Tea has several no or low caffeine chocolate teas, zero calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Tea! When I feel a cold coming on, I have hot water with a tablespoon of lemon juice.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Boil cinnamon sticks in water and when it turns a beautiful deep rust color serve hot with 1-2 drops of liquid stevia.
    Homemade Cinnamon Tea is also a natural antibiotic. :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Chop up some ginger and boil it for a bit in some water. Add some lemon. Yum.

Yes, ginger is great for sore throats. A tea made from dried licorice is even better. Licorice root is $7 per pound for Frontier coop members https://wholesale.frontiercoop.com/product.html?I=598. If they don't carry it at Whole Foods, they will order it for you as WF does order from Frontier.

Note: does not taste like licorice candy.

https://elanaspantry.com/licorice-root/

In the world of herbs, licorice root is primarily known as a demulcent (that is a soothing substance taken internally to protect damaged or inflamed tissue) and an expectorant (a substance that assists in expelling mucus from lungs and throat). Licorice root is commonly used in alternative medicine to treat colds and sore throats.

I also like Yogi Tea, Ginger, which has both ginger and licorice root, and is available in supermarkets with large tea selections.

71HsFhrJA3L._SY355SX266_SY355_CR,0,0,266,355_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX266_SY355_CR,0,0,266,355_SH20_.jpg

• Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    organic cocoa (bitter one not sweet like nesquik) is also good, healthy fats and some proteins with low kcals
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    jmgj27 wrote: »
    In the UK we have Options, which is a hot chocolate for 40 calories a cup and it's pretty tasty! I usually have one in the evening after dinner to get rid of my cravings. Otherwise, yep it's tea for me too I'm afraid! There's always hot ribena but I'm not sure what the sugar and calories would be like in that as I haven't drunk it for years.

I'm enjoying the Options hot chocolate. I pretty much like them all, but my latest favorite is the Salted Caramel one. :)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Celestial Seasonings Cinnamon Apple Spice herbal tea.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Chicken stock (or any kind of stock you happen to like). Sometimes referred to as "bone broth" (although broth is made with meat, and stock is made with bones, but whatevs). Homemade especially is reasonably low in calories and contains lots of minerals.
  • Teemo_sucks
    Teemo_sucks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Tesco healthy living cup a soups are about 60 calories :smile:
    Options hot chocolates - 40
    Stock cubes make a nice broth - 10-20
    Teaaaa with lemon <3
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    DrusiliaDD wrote: »
    Was in an interesting predicament tonight where due to a sore throat I wanted a hot drink but wasn't sure what I could have. It's too late for coffee, and I don't have the calories for hot chocolate. A friend suggested making some sugar free squash with hot water which is a suitable low calorie option and helps with a sore throat.

It got me thinking though, what do some of you drink when you want something hot but don't have lots of calories left for the day?

• jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1. Nestle has a 20 cal hot cocoa. A little watery but nicer than calorie-busting. 2. What is squash? I'm in USA. 3. Celestial seasoning lemon zinger. Or any of the flavors. I make a huge jug every night. Just put 10 packs in a 2-qt container of cold water & let sit overnight. Add 2 small Crystal Light on-the-go packs (those small packets used to flavor sport water bottles) & drink all day. Usually hot & very satisfying.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Green tea or if you're more sweet tooth options hot chocolate is better than moat full calorie and only contains 40 calories!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    For a sore throat I like Throat Coat tea. It really helps to sooth the soreness and tastes pretty nice.
    http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/products/throat-coat/

• DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Alpine Cider, sugar free is 15 calories a serving, and has 100% rda vitamin C. It's my go to when i'm want something sweeter than tea, and that might help a little with a cold/congestion.