OMG SHAKSHUKA!!!!!

Options
MlleKelly
MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
OMG you guys!!!!

I'd never in my life heard of shakshuka before. For those of you in the boat that I was in, it's basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce, flavored with cumin (and other lovely seasonings). The origins are Jewish/Libyan, so it's got a lot of really nice North African flavors but is vegetarian. Generally, it's a breakfast dish, but I'm having it for dinner right now and OMG IT'S AMAZING!!!!

It's one of the best things I've made in a while, and I'm a pretty darn good cook ;)

Here's the recipe I followed: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/04/smoky-white-bean-shakshuka/

Here's a picture of mine!!! (With a scoop cut out of it because that's what I'm eating!!!!)53712arlkpt9.jpg

You guys...seriously...TRY THIS NOW!!!!

Replies

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    I love this dish...and the beans seem like a nice addition. I'l have to try this recipe.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It looks tasty but I don't like spicy food, lol.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It looks tasty but I don't like spicy food, lol.

Its not spicy ie. hot. You just use a lot of spices so that this dish is VERY flavorful. If you have never tried it, you should. Amazing.

Yep. Sometimes I make a batch of the base so I can take some of it and cook my egg fresh each morning. Works really well for single servings in a hurry.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I eat this all the time. So good! I do make mine hot-spicy, and I add chickpeas, garlic, and loads of spinach to mine.
  • MlleKelly
    Options
    I made mine spicy...I added dried ghost chili ;) You can completely cut out the red pepper flakes if you wanted to, but the smoked paprika is a MUST. It's not spicy, but it has SO much flavor.
  • ralostaz2000
    ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It was my favourite dinner be4 I started dieting...and I miss it alot..I quited it because we usually eat with bread (pita bread)...and I just can't eat as much bread as I want now
  • MlleKelly
    Options
    @ralostaz2000 I served mine over brown rice, but couscous would be really great, too.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Thinking "out loud" here, I would need to add egg whites or more eggs to help with macros, I think, but that looks and sounds amazing. I must try this
  • cmverhey
    cmverhey Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to shakshuka recipe: http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/shakshuka
    Although here in Israel most restaurants serve it so I don't often make it at home. It's the perfect breakfast - keeps me full well past lunch!
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Seeing this almost makes me sad that I don't like eggs very well. I bet my family would love it though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This looks lovely. Thanks!
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That looks fab! I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand too. Lunch tomorrow...
  • shirlw62
    shirlw62 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This looks amazing. I'm making it today, but adding chicken as I really hate eggs. Think I may have a bit of wholewheat cous cous with it too. The base recipe could have for lunch. Oh the possibilities :-)
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's delicious with or without eggs.

I think next time I make it I will fry the eggs separately since I don't like the texture of poached eggs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We made a white bean version, and added some turkey kielbasa on the side for those who wanted it. Well received! And I loved it! Thanks again for posting this!
  • MlleKelly
    Options
    @JShailen Great idea! I might have to do that next time, as well.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Made it tonight with goats cheese and the eggs fried. All served on top of savory oats. So delicious!
  • TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Yep. Sometimes I make a batch of the base so I can take some of it and cook my egg fresh each morning. Works really well for single servings in a hurry. [/quote]

That is a great idea!
  • TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Shakshuka. Discovered it about a year ago. Here is my favorite recipe. We got our son to finally try runny yolk eggs for the first time and now he loves them. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014721-shakshuka-with-feta?smid=pi-nytimes&smtyp=pay We serve with homemade naan.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have been intrigued by this recipe since I first saw this thread. I am going to make it for dinner tonight, but I am gluten free and I don't really care for most GF breads. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to serve it with. The calorie count is too low on its own. Thanks!