Why does MYF continue to adjust my calories?!

Options
Ok this is driving me nuts now!

I've got a Fitbit and I've turned off the step tracking under 'Steps', but every day there's still a 'Fitbit calorie adjustment' under exercise, do I need to turn something else off?! I don't want my calories adjusted!!

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Short of unlinking the two, even with turning off neg calories, I couldn't figure it out so I got the premium and just set my calories and macros as fixed.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Go to diary settings on desktop and untick the "enable calorie adjustments" box.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Either unlink the two or purchase MFP Premium. If you're following MFP's goals, your Fitbit calories over maintenance are supposed to be added in and you are expected to eat them back.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Either unlink the two or purchase MFP Premium. If you're following MFP's goals, your Fitbit calories over maintenance are supposed to be added in and you are expected to eat them back.

Except when it says you can have XX more calories, so you eat them, but then you stop moving, or go to bed at 10:00 and you wake up having gone OVER your calories for the day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

Except when it says you can have XX more calories, so you eat them, but then you stop moving, or go to bed at 10:00 and you wake up having gone OVER your calories for the day.

After time I learned how much that adjustment usually was and left 50-100 cals on the table to account for that adjustment. Not really a big deal.

• timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal already puts me in a deficit though based on my activity so when MFT adjusts it further it messes everything up. I've got Premium though so I went into Goals>Exercise Calories and set it to Off so hopefully that will stop it!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal already puts me in a deficit though based on my activity so when MFT adjusts it further it messes everything up. I've got Premium though so I went into Goals>Exercise Calories and set it to Off so hopefully that will stop it!

Your calorie goal on MFP puts you at a deficit from what MFP thinks you would burn based on the activity level you selected.
    If you burn more than that you get calories added to keep the same deficit.

So lets use me as an example:

Lightly Active - 1800 estimated maintenance by MFP

1800 - 500 (deficit) = 1300

Fitbit goes well based on your activity you burned 2468 calories (yesterdays calorie burn).

If I just ate 1300, my deficit is now 1100.
    To keep a 500 calorie deficit, I would need to eat 1968 calories.

So MFP goes " Hey, you were more active then you told me you would be. To keep your 500 calorie deficit, you need to eat an additional 668 calories today."
  • timberflake
    Options

Your calorie goal on MFP puts you at a deficit from what MFP thinks you would burn based on the activity level you selected.

Fitbit goes well based on your activity you burned 2468 calories (yesterdays calorie burn).

So MFP goes " Hey, you were more active then you told me you would be. To keep your 500 calorie deficit, you need to eat an additional 668 calories today."

My calorie goal isn't set by MFP, I set my own calorie goal myself to take into account my activity levels.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

My calorie goal isn't set by MFP, I set my own calorie goal myself to take into account my activity levels.
    Ah well, that's a different story then.
    The other think you could do is change your activity level to get as close to what you think your TDEE is. That should minimize/eliminate any positive adjustments.
  • timberflake
    Options
    I don't really want to put my deficit in the hands of MFP. I've turned off the exercise calories in goals though to that will hopefully stop it now!
  • shadow2soul
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't really want to put my deficit in the hands of MFP. I've turned off the exercise calories in goals though to that will hopefully stop it now!

Well what I was saying, is that for example:

My estimated TDEE is 2300. That is what MFP comes up for me to maintain on a very active setting. Then I put a custom goal of 1900.

Now MFP won't adjust my calories until I surpass 2300 and when Fitbit says it does there won't be much of an adjustment.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Ah well, that's a different story then.
    The other think you could do is change your activity level to get as close to what you think your TDEE is. That should minimize/eliminate any positive adjustments.

I did similar. When I was first using a FitBit I was set at sedentary but my exercise adjustments were huge. I got the good advice that at 10k steps/day is more like lightly active. I changed my settings and my adjustments became more representative of the actual exercise I was doing, not the steps I was taking in day to day life. Now I average 15K steps a day and am set at active. MFP thinks my non exercise maintenance cals are 1860. FitBit says my TDEE is 2300. So my adjustments address that gap (I'm in maintenance).

It's been accurate for me both when I was losing and now that I'm maintaining.