Running and peeing

Options
Am I the only one who gets the overwhelming urge to pee after the 1st or 2nd mile? This is really getting to be a nuisance as it makes for a very uncomfortable run for the rest of the way.

Women especially - how do you deal with this?

I seriously find myself looking around for places to pop a squat just in case I really can't contain it any longer. Behind that trash can? By the bench? Would anyone see me?? My god, it's getting bad!

Of course the places I go running don't have a convenient toilet just hanging around.

And I of course go right before I leave the house, but it never fails! I only have one cup of coffee before my run and I really don't think I can give that up. Help!

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Drink less before running or wait longer to run after drinking. Have 1/4 or 1/2 cup of coffee before instead of a full cup.
  • Beth150Ann
    Beth150Ann Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can relate! When I walk more than 40 minutes (I'm a walker right now), I make sure my route has bathrooms. I often check out areas that I can use if needed (and thank goodness that hasn't happened yet!). But NOT having coffee before going outside in the morning has helped -- I know you don't want to but it will make a difference (or at least wait an hour or two before walking). The Dr. recommends Kegel Exercises and I'm going to start working on my abs (I think a strong ab would help). Worst comes to worst -- if you have to go outside just don't get caught by the police and receive a summons!
  • groetzinger659
    groetzinger659 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just go in the woods if I have to - when you get older you cant hold it otherwise accident!! That's my story and I am sticking to it=but I live in a rural area=if I was you-find where gas stations;/gyms/stores are at the mid point-then you don't have to be uncomfortable. I try to pee right before I do my workout.
  • 1triciakae
    1triciakae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I can't drink coffee before I run. The coffee can also cause bladder spasms which I get also. I will eat a meal that at least 20grams of protein then wait an hour then go run that gets me the extra energy to get me through.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It could be worse.

runner-diarrhea.jpg
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hahaha @TheBeachgod very true.

@groetzinger659 I sort of live in a rural area too, but there are houses around where I run so I'm just afraid someone would be watching me pee outside their window haha.

I might have to try taking detours in order to find a gas station or something! It gets really bad sometimes!

(Edit) I will also try drinking my coffee well before my run. As it is I finish it probably 30 to 60 minutes beforehand, so I'll try waiting a bit longer next time. I'm not ready to give it up completely yet, as it gives me energy for a better run.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Hahaha @TheBeachgod very true.

@groetzinger659 I sort of live in a rural area too, but there are houses around where I run so I'm just afraid someone would be watching me pee outside their window haha.

I might have to try taking detours in order to find a gas station or something! It gets really bad sometimes!

I feel like peeing before any sort of event, but I think mine is a nervous tic. Its annoying, I agree.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would just pee outside, but if it's only a mile into your run, perhaps you can run around the block a few times, go back in your house and pee, and then go for your run.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I would just pee outside, but if it's only a mile into your run, perhaps you can run around the block a few times, go back in your house and pee, and then go for your run.

I don't normally run near my house as I live right off of a highway. I like to run by the canal. Sometimes I will run near my house though just so I can stop to use the bathroom :(
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I pee twice before leaving my house. I don't know why but it works. I pee stick my garmin outside so it can do its thing grab my sunglasses tie my shoes and pee again.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Maybe drink something without caffeine? It is a mild diuretic. I know I have a problem in that regard with tea and coffee. Drink a cup, and within a short amount of time I'll be needing to go. Don't have that issue with water - I can don't have the urge to go until later.

Other than that, my other suggestion is to practice Kegels. The better you can hold it, the more options you'll have, I guess.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Try avoiding that cool path by the waterfall.

giphy.gif

Or watch this before you run and and get it over with before you even start.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Maybe you need to do some pelvic floor exercises? I have heard mostly women who have had children complain about this. My science teacher in high school ran a lot and always had this issue. I haven't had an issue and usually stay pretty hydrated.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you are a long distance runner, it is very common for you to lose some control of your bladder muscles. When I'm training for marathons, I lose control of my bladder completely and, yes, pee myself. I can't do anything to stop it. It's part of running long distances. Some people can handle their bladders, others can't. I, for one, can't. Once I start training past 10-15 miles, I often wet my pants while running. It comes on so fast that I can't even stop quick enough to find a place to squat. It just happens.

TMI? Probably.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    If you are a long distance runner, it is very common for you to lose some control of your bladder muscles. When I'm training for marathons, I lose control of my bladder completely and, yes, pee myself. I can't do anything to stop it. It's part of running long distances. Some people can handle their bladders, others can't. I, for one, can't. Once I start training past 10-15 miles, I often wet my pants while running. It comes on so fast that I can't even stop quick enough to find a place to squat. It just happens.

TMI? Probably.

I don't have that issue (Men are lucky) but I can say with all sincerity that your pee soaked shorts still smell better than I do after 15 miles. Smell isn't even a factor I would worry about. Who cares? I wouldn't.

After just 4 miles last week I was told to strip at the door and stop stinking up the place.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I figured this was going to be about techniques for doing it while running during a race you are trying to win...
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I'm always more concerned about needing to poo. I could confidently pee in the wooded areas around my running path, but not so much on the poo. My running group calls it a PRP - pre-run poop. A necessity and something I plan my runs around.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you are probably over hydrating immediately before your run.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I had to give up caffeine, but you could try these http://www.poise.com/products/impressa/detail/sizing-kit