Help - How do I get into exercise??

Options
Evening all!
I have been struggling with will power and motivation and just wondered how you guys started to get "into" exercise! When I get home from work and get the dinner and dishes done, the last thing I want to do is get moving! Days off are kind of housework days, or am I just finding excuses :blushing:

I can't really afford a gym membership and don't have a bicycle, but do have a Wii!

Would be grateful for any hints or ideas on how to get my butt into gear!

Cx

Replies

• dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    Hi there, I was the same but now exercise is just part of my daily routine, I use wii fit, zumba on the wii, walking, cycling and also a couple workout DVDs, this keeps me from getting bored and also earns me extra calories when I need a few extra :wink:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    On my days off I go running first thing after dropping the children at school. Housework comes after. You have to put exercise first (or second after family, I guess), or it doesn't get done. It definitely rates way above housework on my agenda. But then housework rates somewhere on the floor, I hate it.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but Nike has it right: Just do it!

Excuses are easy and exercise is hard but after a while you'll start to get twitchy on days you miss your exercise. There's no easy road to building good habits.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    'Well frankly it is just excuses. That's not to say we don't have real things going on in our lives that just simply get in the way, but if you really wanted to do something, anything, you'd find the time. Get out of your head about it first, then don't think about it just do it.
  • Tania37
    Tania37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started getting up a little earlier to squeeze in a 20 minute work out or a 30 minute walk. Was really hard to start, but once you get gong it helps to wake you up for the rest of the day. If you have a dog, eventually they will get you up when they get used to you going out. If you have kids, surprisingly, they do the same thing. Hope this helps!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was you. Seriously. I got the Jillian Michaels DVD, 30 Day Shred. It's only 20 minutes. The first few times it was really hard to make myself do it because it kicked my butt, but I'd tell myself, "Just 20 minutes. Just move for 20 minutes and you're done." You start to see change really fast, though, so it gets addicting and easier to do it. Now on days I don't do some kind of exercise, I don't feel so good. That DVD seriously changed my mindset. And it's so short. Start with a short goal - like force yourself to walk a couple of blocks or something.
  • BigClaire88
    Options
    I not only struggle with motivation to exercise but I find it physicaly difficult due to a medical issue. I'm doing my best to keep motivated though. My partner and I have agreed to going for a walk a few days a week when he gets in from work and I think having a 'walking buddy' is the best kind of motivation I could get.

I also have a wii and have been playing wii tennis and super hula hoop but the energy I put into that doesn't seem to translate well into calories burned.. I can feel less tired after a walk and burn 3 times as many calories according to the MFP counter, so Id be interested to hear other peoples views on this.. how is it I can do 6 minutes on wii and feel like I've run a marathon, but a half hour walk leaves me feeling refreshed?? lol
  • teachermegan
    teachermegan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey! I wish exercise was MY problem, but it's the eating. It's 80% nutrition and 20% fitness - so hopefully you've got a solid grasp on nutrition. Here are a couple things that help...
    - The following quote: "Healthy eating helps you look good WITH clothes on. Exercise helps you look good NAKED"

- Wake up 30 minute early and get 20 - 25 minutes of Wii or walking/jogging in before work

- Buy some upbeat songs for my ipod to jog/walk to.

- A friend - schedule a time when a friend can join you.

- Write it on the calendar, announce it on here, announce it on facebook - I am going walking in 10 minutes - that way you feel accountable.

- Rewards for mini goals - If I work out 5x's this week I'll get myself a new ___________ (NOT food related).
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Honestly for me its a work in progress. Finding something you really like is going to help. I love Zumba and the P90X program so that keeps me motivated for awhile. Finding a time of day can be a struggle as well. Once into a routine you will just get use to it. While working the school year I usually do my workout at night after my 2 year old goes to bed once in the routine I was doing very well. Now summer break has come which has changed bed time and every other routine so now I'm struggling again to find a good time to workout. I guess the point is that you just need to bust through and force yourself to do it. Once you do you will feel great for doing it. I always do!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    When I first got started, I bought a Wii and the EA Sports Active games. Those were fun and effective, so I actually liked doing them. Once they got too easy, I bought some workout DVDs. The hardest part is the initial actually getting up to do them, but once you get into a routine and find a workout you actually enjoy, you'll feel sluggish if you don't workout. If you can't find a DVD you like, try walking or swimming or something like that. Just remember that the hardest part of any workout is finding the motivation to start. If you can get over that hump, the rest is easy.
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly the same as you...I would work out for a week or two, lose my motivation, and then not workout for the next 4 months. What worked for me was finding something that I LOVED to do and starting small. What I found for myself was that I really love lifting weights. So I started with just that, and changing my diet. I would lift for 30-40 minutes, 3x a week. When the weight started coming off (slowly), I thought hey! This works! So I added in just a little bit of cardio, just 20-30 minutes 1-2 days a week. Then my results started getting better, and I started adding more. Now, I workout 6 days a week, 40-60 minutes at a time! It was all about getting myself into it gradually.

Find what works for you, and make sure you love doing it! Good luck!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I started getting up a little earlier to squeeze in a 20 minute work out or a 30 minute walk. Was really hard to start, but once you get gong it helps to wake you up for the rest of the day. If you have a dog, eventually they will get you up when they get used to you going out. If you have kids, surprisingly, they do the same thing. Hope this helps!

Absolutly!! Best time/way to start the day....and then it's done...

All the best:flowerforyou:
  • Cjrucks
    Cjrucks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Getting into exercise can be hard especially in your busy lives. You have to make room for you as others have said. I have a WII, DVD's , gym membership and a few other things. Because I have found excuses not to use them. If on a tight budget try to find Wii fitness games on sale, and also pick up a balance ball and some weights 8 to 10lbs for starting.

There is a great website from a local personal trainer in my area I got his Got Core DVD - just started it but wow just the first step is 20 minutes and it is a nice workout. Great guy that wants to help people loose weight and be active in life.

www.DustinMaherfitness.com
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Great point really, it is more nutrition then fitness. But I find that when I am really focused on eating clean and enjoying doing it,
    I workout more diligently, and when I am really in a zone with my fitness my diet gets better as well. Funny how that works.

Hey! I wish exercise was MY problem, but it's the eating. It's 80% nutrition and 20% fitness - so hopefully you've got a solid grasp on nutrition. Here are a couple things that help...
    - The following quote: "Healthy eating helps you look good WITH clothes on. Exercise helps you look good NAKED"

- Wake up 30 minute early and get 20 - 25 minutes of Wii or walking/jogging in before work

- Buy some upbeat songs for my ipod to jog/walk to.

- A friend - schedule a time when a friend can join you.

- Write it on the calendar, announce it on here, announce it on facebook - I am going walking in 10 minutes - that way you feel accountable.

- Rewards for mini goals - If I work out 5x's this week I'll get myself a new ___________ (NOT food related).
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I have bad knees and just getting through my day wears me out. Eating healthier has helped my energy level stay steady through the day, but exercise is still the last thing I want to do when I get home. SO...for now, after a healthy dinner and all my household stuff is done, I watch my favorite shows and use exercise dumbells during commercials and do lunges and stretches as well. It feels good and it is better than sitting. And it's a start.
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    When I first started in January, I was interning at a location ~1.5 hours away from where I live, so I would leave at 7 am and not get back until 5pm. What really helped me was planning out when and what I was going to do for exercise ahead of time (and actually sticking to my schedule).

Now that I'm done with my internship and am only working part-time, I find it a lot easier to get my exercise done right away in the morning. I have more energy, and it's out of the way for the day!
  • deborahmorris
    deborahmorris Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem not getting my exercise in...but I now have Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD's are they are totally awesome if you don't have alot of time.
    There are alot of DVD's Leslie has...15 minute walks, 3 mile walk and 5 mile walk...and you can do as long as you like. Just ask for 15 minutes a day to start with....that's one mile roughly.....

Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I find if I just get out to do a walk I will DO it. Hardest for me is to start. So I say go for a walk!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    One thing to do is to find an exercise you like... whether it is walking which is cheap or a walking game on the wii or the wii fit exercise but if you hate it and dread what you are trying to do it will never work.
    People talk about excuses and health issues etc.. Ive had 5 surgeries in the past 3 years including 2 knee replacements and a hip replacement. I still need the other hip replaced so still in pain. i started out in Feb walking the dogs in the evenings. Started wallking like 100 yards cuz thats all I could do.. I upped it until I could go around the block without stopping. Then I added treading water in the pool.. great exercise but easy as its no impact so no pain on my one bad hip. I have a hard time doing laps due to my lack of flexibility in the new joints.. I work around it.
    Changing your lifestyle is 90% mental to begin with. You have to be ready to do this and determined to make it work.. it has probably taken me 30 years of diets to figure that out.. For what ever reason this time I was mentally ready. I now go to the gym every day and burn between 1000-1500 calories every day.
    If you are ready you will find the time to squeeze in some exercise, whether you get up a little early. Thats what I did and did a walking dvd before taking a shower in the morning before work.. some would go to the gym at that time. Just depends on what you can do within the constraints of your family life.

Good luck and hope you find your motivation in something someone has said!:)

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Can you fit it in first thing in the morning? Get up 30 minutes earlier and just get it out of the way. I would prefer to do mine first thing in the morning. I used to do it that way and it made my day so much happier b/c I felt like, "at least I accomplished THAT" My kung fu class hours are from 12:30 until 7 pm, though. While I am still home with little ones I am able to swing it. Once I have to go back to work, I'm certain I will be back to first thing in the morning.