How can I move from intervals to just running?

Options
I've been working on my running since mid-March (at 182 pounds). I started off with the 5K 101 program, and got through Weeks 1-3. I then decided to take a step back and stay at 5 minutes intervals of 2.5 minutes walking/2.5 minutes running for a while until I lost more weight, because my knees were really hurting when I tried to do 3 minutes of running. I started back up with Podrunner's First Day to 5K at the beginning of June, and started at Week 4 (and 168 pounds).

This week, I am suppose to be starting Week 7. But, right now, I really cannot do 25 minutes straight of running. 10 minutes is pretty easy for me, but making the leap from 10 minutes to 20/25 minutes was impossible. So, I'm going back to 5K 101 and starting their Week 6 (2 intervals of 12 minutes running/3 minutes walking) and prepare myself better for moving up to 20+ minutes of straight running.

I really enjoy running, but the thought of running for 20 minutes straight is mind-boggling for me right now and I can't figure out how to get my mind around it. I am pretty sure my body can handle it, but I keep on playing games with my mind to not slow to a walk and am losing.

So, my question for all of you guys who have gone through a 5K program, is how did you get beyond the mental/physical barriers of moving from intervals to straight runs? Any tips/tricks to share?

Replies

• CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I didn't do a 5K program but rather just.. did it on my own (I don't know if I'd recommend that).

I would walk for the first 10 minutes to get my body prepared and ready to go the rest and then probably around 7 or 8 minutes into the run, I start to feel it (especially in my legs). If I can feel any sort of tension or cramps coming up in my legs, I'll take it to a walk. Otherwise, I know that I'm capable of not stopping and just push through it.
    There are people who do across-country (literally) races in a short period of time. They'll run for SEVERAL hours at a time. If they can push their bodies through that, I can get my body to go the extra 7 - 12 minutes (whatever it may be). If you feel like your body REALLY can't handle it, take it to a walk for a couple minutes or so and then keep going. You'll be a runner in no time, trust me!
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think you're smart to do the 2-12 minute intervals. I did C25K and remember being so doubtful about that first 20 minute run. I decided that I just had to put my faith in the program - it had prepared many others for this and it had prepared me as well. You are capable of more than you think you are capable of. So much of it past a certain point is mental, and believing that you can do it. Take it one minute at a time.

That being said, I don't believe there is any shame in intervals or run/walking in the long term either - many marathoner runners faster than me do run/walk intervals.
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Most of distance running IS mental, ONCE you get your body to the point it can handle the mileage. When I'm having a bad run day and am tempted to quit early, I just tell myself that I've made it that far, so what's one (or 2 or whatever) more mile to reach the goal I set for myself? Maybe start to tell yourself that -- what's ONE more minute of running? Make yourself go just ONE more minute this week. Then next week, tack on another minute. No one says a 5K program is carved in stone - you need to find what works for you and what will help you get over that mental barrier.

Only you can make yourself do it. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen. That's how I went from "I don't run!" 5 years ago to averaging 20+ miles a week now. I decided I was going to do it, and I did. Good luck!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I have never done the programs but I do run. I can tell you that it is mental. You just can't let yourself stop. A trick I used to use on myself was when I thought I couldn't do anymore, I would go another minute, then almost at the end of that minute, I would tell myself just one more minute. I did that all the way up to 16 miles at a time.
    You can do it, just remember, if you never push past what you have done, you will never go longer. Keep pushing. You can do it.
  • surfergirl37
    Options
    I have been running cross country for around 6 years now, and have had to work my way up from the VERY bottom to being a varsity runner. This has only come from me believing in myself and my abilities. I have gone from not being able to run two continuous miles, to running for an hour and a half straight and still having more in me! You're definitely on the right track right now, the trick is to just keep going. Don't tell yourself that there is something you can't do. You will be able to get to those 20 minutes, I promise you. My advice would be to work on running a little more than 10 right now. try to go 15. 5 minutes will not hurt your body. You may be tired, but you will not be injured or damaged permanently. If you have to, just jog right above a walking pace. You can get there (: After you reach that goal, work on it one or two more times, and you will have built up your muscles and endurance enough for another 5 minutes. The trick is to slowly increase what you have been doing.

Also, maybe don't expect yourself to be able to do what week seven is asking of you. You didn't follow the program exactly, so you might not be as tuned to what you're supposed to be running quite yet. Don't worry though (: i speak from MUCH experience saying that you will get there. Give it a couple weeks or so and some genuine effort, and you will be able to run 20 minutes just as easily as running 10. Your body may not be ready at this moment, but it's surprisingly easy to get it strong enough.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I got around it by trying it the week before I was scheduled to do it. I gave myself room to fail, because I could always say, "Well, I couldn't do it this week, but I'm going to ROCK IT next week!" Except that I didn't fail. I powered through it. And then the following week, I knew I could do it, because I already did it. Like Harry Potter defeated the dementors with the time turner. :wink:

That said, there's STILL some times when I need to take a walk break, and I know logically I can run five miles non stop. And there's nothing wrong with taking a break. It barely even affects my time, because either I go at a slower, steady pace, or go faster, walk a little, then go faster again. It tends to even out.

I do try to push myself past it, though. Usually I tell myself, "Ok, when I get to the top of that hill..." or "When this song is over...." I can give myself a break. And sometimes, once I get over that hill, it's just as easy to keep going. Or the next song is one that gets me pumping. And then I forget that I needed to stop. :smile:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    redundant post
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I got around it by trying it the week before I was scheduled to do it. I gave myself room to fail, because I could always say, "Well, I couldn't do it this week, but I'm going to ROCK IT next week!" Except that I didn't fail. I powered through it. And then the following week, I knew I could do it, because I already did it.

That's how I've been getting from one week to the next from the start. I completed week 4 yesterday and have already psychologically neutralized the upcoming 8 minute runs by running and extra 10 minutes non-stop. And I expect to run at least 15, if not 20 minutes sometime before Saturday's "official" 20 minute run.
    [/quote]
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump