How did I gain weight when I worked out so well...

Options
So, I walked 3 miles everyday except for thursday which I walked 4 miles. PLUS I done well on my diet and didnt eat over the calories I am supposed to have. BUT, I gained 2 pounds. I had done so well the first two weeks and lost 7 lbs. Anyone know what happened by any chance... I just need to know...

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time of the day each time? Best time to do it is when you wake up (after using bathroom) before you eat anything... are you drinking water? What does your carb and protein intake look like? You want to keep your carbs low and protein high. Also, keep your sodium and sugar low.. and drink water!! Also if you are close to TOM you may just be retaining. :P
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    OMg The same thing happen to me I was told it was water weight. I beleve it because I been working out alot and drinking lots of water.
  • LexiCheree
    LexiCheree Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    you may be gaining muscle. since muscle weighs more than fat you may appear to gain weight thats why you should take measurements
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    don't know how much your calories intake is... but I think you might probably didn't eat enough... when you don't get enough calories, your body will hold on the fat.

2nd, do you do some strength/weight training workout? also do you change up your workout routin every now and then?
  • ljw556
    ljw556 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you have your period it is probably that - I read a message board where dozens of women said they gain 4-10lb everytime they have their period and then it goes again. I've stopped weighing myself that week because the weight gain puts me off! :)
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    I agree, it's probably water retention. Watch your sodium levels like a HAWK! Keep them low (like 1500mg a day). If you do have a high sodium day, be sure to eat potassium rich foods for balance. With the exception of Aunt Flo.... this has eliminated my water retention problem. :)
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You should open up your food diary so we can better help you!

Give your body time...try adding strength training.

Congratulations on your 7 lbs gone!!!
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am on a yo yo plateau right now but I think mine is mostly hormonal and sodium. I gain 6-8 lbs during TOM so that's today and I missed 2 months...so sodium, no water, too many carbs, sugar not good! Lots of exercise!
  • angelaclev
    angelaclev Posts: 95
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day and then if I workout, which I did everyday, then I would add however many calories I burnt. that is what it told me to do... i only drink water and I eat 5 times a day eating things like carrots, sugar-free choclate pudding and other healthy things for the first 4 meals then I eat a healthy meal for the fifth... that worked out great the first week before I started working out. I also only weigh myself on sat. mornings... because my husband works in another state and I go with him during the summer... so I only weigh when I am home. So idk.
  • angelaclev
    Options
    Thanks! It only let me record the 1 pund though because I started after I lost the first 6 lol.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    you may be gaining muscle. since muscle weighs more than fat you may appear to gain weight thats why you should take measurements

if the only exercise someone is doing is walking, that's not going to build enough muscle to cause a weight gain (the only people where this is really a factor are body builders on steroids - for most people, the increase in muscle mass is slow over time - it's a good thing but won't affect the scales dramatically - but if your muscles are sore, they are retaining water and that will affact scale weight).

But back to OP - some of what you lost over the first 2 weeks was water, and you may just be seing a redistribution/rebalancing of that, and weight loss will resume soon because fat loss is continuing, you just don't see it (if this is the case you'll see inches coming off but no change on scale). If TOM is approaching, that can cause water weight gain, and is nothing to worry about. Beyond that, without seeing your food diary, it's impossible to help you - I've seen so many people say they are doing everything right and not losing, and then you look at their food diaries and... they're eating a lot of junk food, an unbalanced diet, eating out a lot, going over calories a few days, eating way below what they should be eating, all sorts of things that explain why they aren't losing. Are you eating protein with each meal? Are you eating small portions throughout the day? Are you eating a lot of veggies, and some fruit, with no or limited amounts of foods with refined white sugar or flour? How's the sodium content in your food?
  • teemagee
    teemagee Posts: 1
    Options
    Make sure you are having a regular bowel moment for starters, if not take something. Also, you may need to check what you are eating, even if its in your calorie goal. Another thing, change up your exercising, sometimes your body needs something different to do, try jogging and running, or you can jump rope and walk (walk some then stop jump rope or do some jumping jacks), but try something different. Walk with some small dumpbells or walk faster or longer, but just change it up. Try to workout in the morning before work and maybe after work too:) I hope something shake for you!!! Dont give up:)
  • angelaclev
    Options
    Thanks... i know eating out is bad... lol. But, I kinda have to... my husband works in a diff. state and I am with him this summer and we live in a hotel when we are up there so I cant cook... :( Otherwise I prob would be fine... when i was in highschool I lost 50 lbs, the healthy way, and then started back to my old eating habits, and I got married...lol and gained the 20 lbs that everyone says you get.