Unsweetened Almond milk vs 2% milk

Options
Hello,

Silk - Pure Almond - Unsweetened Original, 12 fluid ounce Cals - 44 Carbs -1 Fat-4 Protein-1 Sodium-237 Sugar 0

Sealtest - Milk 2% (Canadian), 12 fluid ounce 185 17 7 13 156 16

So on paper isn't 2% milk better ? both are 12oz one has intense amount of cals and other one doesn't

I just wanted to try Almond milk and brought home a carton and I was about to be done for the day but it freed up so many calories lol

SO why would one drink one over the other? nutrition wise is 2% better - and for weight loss ? and satiation wise 2% would be better because more calories and higher macros ?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People drink almond milk because it's lower cal (if unsweetened), they are lactose intolerant, they like it better, or they ethically object to dairy.

Or me, I sometimes drink almond or coconut milk because I don't drink enough milk to justify having dairy around, it goes bad. I love dairy, but in higher protein or more delicious options than milk.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Better in what way? Both are white. And both are liquids. There end the similarities.
    What are you drinking milk for? If it is the taste, choose whatever you like. If it is calcium be careful, because unless almond milk is fortified, it does not have much calcium. Plus, calcium is not absorbed well without fat (which is also a problem with skim milk).
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk and other nut milks because I like the way they taste. I don't like cow milk.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasion I drink or use milk, I use almond milk because most dairy does not agree with me, and I ethically prefer to limit how much dairy I consume (basically limited to occasional cheese on pizza!).
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Better in what way? Both are white. And both are liquids. There end the similarities.
    What are you drinking milk for? If it is the taste, choose whatever you like. If it is calcium be careful, because unless almond milk is fortified, it does not have much calcium. Plus, calcium is not absorbed well without fat (which is also a problem with skim milk).

Better as in vegan community knocks dairy products pretty badly not for ethical reasons but health wise so I was wondering was that simple hate or Almond milk is somewhat better than regular milk in that essence?

I thought all that matters was carb, Protein and fats but is there something that I'm missing? Like almond milk getting absorbed better by body than regular milk?

I'm not lactose intolerant or anything but am I suppose to see any difference between these two?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,963 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The vegans should worry about the millions of animals that died just last month during slash-burning forests in Indonesia and Borneo so they can grow palms for palm oil - widely used in almond, cashew, coconut and soy milk. Unless one has a milk allergy - PLEASE don't buy these blended products. Vitamin A palmitate is in all of them.

There is not enough over-sight, and it's too-easy money in these third world countries. We may as well kiss the Orangutans and tigers goodbye in the next couple decades, along with many other lesser-known animals. :(
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk and other nut milks because I like the way they taste. I don't like cow milk.

Ditto
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I use u/s cashew milk because I dont drink plain milk, I use it for baking, shakes, cooking, oats, coffee, and I dont wanna spend a lot of calories on liquids when I can eat them instead
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    The almond milk I drink is 30 calories for a cup. I can make a shake with a full two cups for only 60 calories. I use it to cut calories and I have no attachment to cows milk. I have never really consumed it as an adult.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Milk at least has some protein.
    Protein keeps my tummy from getting hungry.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Same here. To me cow milk has a gross aftertaste. I like the almond milk in my cereal when I have it.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk = Cruelty free, hormone free, puss and feces free Cows Milk= Cruel, painful, often result of factory farmed raping and causes the death of calf, even natural organic has 20 something naturally occurring hormones, puss, and milk does contain fecal matter and its extremely acidic.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    Almond Milk = Cruelty free, hormone free, puss and feces free Cows Milk= Cruel, painful, often result of factory farmed raping and causes the death of calf, even natural organic has 20 something naturally occurring hormones, puss, and milk does contain fecal matter and its extremely acidic.

How is that regular milk is nutritionally higher in values? Is like stuff added to it after which makes 12 oz of both different in such a huge proportion?

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

Better as in vegan community knocks dairy products pretty badly not for ethical reasons but health wise so I was wondering was that simple hate or Almond milk is somewhat better than regular milk in that essence?

I thought all that matters was carb, Protein and fats but is there something that I'm missing? Like almond milk getting absorbed better by body than regular milk?

I'm not lactose intolerant or anything but am I suppose to see any difference between these two?

Of course it is not just macros that count with food. It is also vitamins, minerals, micronutrients in general.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,963 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »

Blended nut milks (like Silk) are by no means cruelty-free. The slash-burning of rain forests has dire consequences for thousands of animal and plant species. Palm oil is a huge environmental issue. We all will pay dearly for this. Dozens of endangered orangutans died last month in a slash-burn to grow palms for palm oil.

Do your research and don't just regurgitate the things you read on facebook. Cows aren't endangered, and people are given inexpensive protein rich and vitamin rich foods because of factory farms. . . is it a perfect system? No. At least it feeds the masses on very little $$$ and is sustainable. If you think you are drinking chemical free or feces free almond milk - well...