Is my maths and logic correct?

Options
This made sense to me, I just want to make sure my logic and maths is correct here. With only 10lbs left to lose, I don't have room for logging errors.

I have this powder to make chocolate milk and the nutrition label says it is 151 calories per serving. One serving is 13.8g of power and 200ml semi-skimmed milk.

200ml of the milk they specify is 100 calories so 151-100=51 calories. 51cals for 13.8g of chocolate powder.

The milk I use is Alpro soya light which is 54 cals per 200ml so, add it all up and one serving is 200ml of soya light plus 13.8g of chocolate powder which comes to 105 calories per serving of chocolate milk. Right?

If that is right, the same logic can be used to work out the calorie count for the banana and strawberry versions too, can't it? I hope this post actually made sense. I'm pretty tired!

Replies

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Generally on nutrition labels, if it says x calories per serving, those calories are for that thing only, not including anything you would mix it with. I have a feeling the powder itself is 151 calories, and the milk adds more to that.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Generally on nutrition labels, if it says x calories per serving, those calories are for that thing only, not including anything you would mix it with. I have a feeling the powder itself is 151 calories, and the milk adds more to that.

The label says 151 per serving. Just below that it says one serving is powder PLUS milk. So the serving suggested already includes the milk.

Edit.

Actually, forget that. I just found this. So basically, yes. I was right. My poor dyslexic brain can adult! Huh. The numbers are one calorie different and the style of box is different but this is the same brand. I guess the US packaging and UK packaging are slightly different

https://www.nesquik.com/products/powder/chocolate/93-oz/
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The serving probably doesn't include the milk. In the US, many things that are part of a recipe (such as cake mix) will have two columns in the nutritional info - one for just the mix and one for mix plus other ingredients.

Can you post a pic of the nutritional info or at least give the name of the powder?
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'd post a pic but can't work out how. The link above does answer my question though. The serving did include the milk! It was Nesquik.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you got your answer.

Yeah, the US does have a different nutritional info style.
  • Matty_Bowman
    Matty_Bowman Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello! Yes, the serving is per serving of the product. Even if it says mix with liquid or product, it is strictly the nutritional serving of the product alone, not with any recommended carriers or binders. This was an issue with a lot of products until the labelling was legislated for product only.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Hello! Yes, the serving is per serving of the product. Even if it says mix with liquid or product, it is strictly the nutritional serving of the product alone, not with any recommended carriers or binders. This was an issue with a lot of products until the labelling was legislated for product only.

In most such cases for UK labls the calories given are WITH milk and it is specifically written how much and 'semi skimmed' just above the nutritional values. Sometimes the calories only for the product are given in the next column but Not Always. This is the case for almost all cereals/porridges for example. Pain in the *kitten* cos I use Alpro Almond and need to do the same clculations the OP does.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I find the nutrition labels for US vs UK quite interesting! Having to recalculate does seem like a real pain in the butt.

Also, thanks to this thread's photos, today I learned I'm allergic to Nesquik powder. I haven't had it since I was a kid anyway. I remember it used to be called Nestle Quik before the hybrid name and it came in a cute Quik bunny shaped bottle if you got the syrup kind and a metal tin if you got the powder. Memories..