How do I make my calves smaller? #newbie

Options
hey guys! I'm 18 and I've always had this problem with my calves looking way too big for my legs :/ I ate a lot of cheese last time and I thought it was water retention but now I stopped and it's still big :/

I checked out a few sites and they said to do some stretching so I've been trying that :) But I would also like to know if I do a light jog and stretch every now and then while I run, would it make my calves bigger?

Also, if there's any tips you can tell me about making my calves smaller I'd love to hear it!

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My calves are massive, and I love them! I can't wear knee high boots, because they won't go in, but a knee length skirt in some heals, shows off those calves. You can't spot reduce. If you don't use a muscle it will atrophy over time, but that seems impractical with legs. You use them for so much. We all have something we don't like about ourselves, but often others won't even notice, or will feel exact opposite about it. Any chance you might learn to love them? Strong legs are an amazing thing.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Do you have any weight to lose? I think that could help, if you do. You look quite slim in your profile picture.

People say that doing stuff like yoga and pilates lengthens muscles/makes them smaller, so that could also help. Worth a shot!

All that being said, I bet your calves look fine.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    my calves are large genetically - and i suspect yours are, too. even when i was underweight, my calves were large and muscular. running may make your calves more muscular; stretching won't make them smaller.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Calves are genetic. The ONLY way to lose muscle (atrophy) on a body part is to ensure it's never used. And that's not likely to happen with the legs.
    You cannot "lengthen" muscle with any stretches or exercise either. That's an ongoing myth from sources like yoga/pilates magazines.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png