PCOS success with weightloss

Options
Keep_on_cardio
Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
edited April 2016 in Success Stories
Been almost a year since I begun my lifestyle health change. I'm pushing towards being at my ultimate goal by May 25th. That was the day I became self aware of wanting better for health and life.
I want to share with you FREE ways of helping yourself become a healthier and better version of yourself. That's right, I'm not selling a pyramid scheme (it works, shakeology, Herbalife) and only want to help give truths that YES will work. I will call what I learned mind and health hacks of transforming into a better YOU!

1. You need to first be self aware of any health issues you may have. I found by researching my medical standpoint, that I discovered which foods I need to stay away from and or have more of. This is very important as we have different issues and your plan needs to centered for your personalized needs. *This means just like parenting advice, some things that work for someone else may or may not work for you.

2. Are you an emotional eater? Or one who eats out of boredom? I personally am an emotional eater. When I found myself upset and or stressed, I would eat crap food for that brief second of "I feel good because this tastes good". Then I would feel awful because my body doesn't process carbs and or sugars as the average healthy person. (Thanks to insulin resistance with PCOS). When I feel down, I will exercise and or find a distraction to help me from eating crap food.

3. Plenty of sleep. I swear, I could write a book on this. I went 11mth with little to no sleep (lots of moms here can relate and even have 11mth beat!) and wow I learned a lot. For myself sleep was EVERYTHING. If I lacked here everything fell off. I was angry, not motivated and just wanting to lounge some days. The lack of energy led me not wanting to do the prep work in the kitchen and or make time in building a healthy meal plan. This also put a damper on days of working out. Whether I didn't give my workout my all or just didn't workout.

4. You need a circle of people who will support you. This is important, this helps keep your mind be focused and pushing yourself for more. My husband would help with the kids so I could make sure I put enough effort into my daily workouts. You need at least 30min to an hour. You can also split that time up somehow in the day. My husband also was aware that the first 2wks of creating a health change that it was helpful not bringing crap into the house. It takes about 2weeks without junk to stop craving the junk. This two week process is my temptation stage.

I go through phases of giving my all (with making better health choices) and tend to fall off. I have to look at each day as a new beginning and not be discouraged if there were days I made bad eating choices or didn't workout.

I found out certain times of the year I can't run or jog outside. I'm Asthmatic and during the cooler months I truly feel as though I'm going to die and can't breathe. My legs weren't giving out but the cool air hitting my lungs hurt. I found indoor exercise and or climbing stairs beneficial during those months.

For me, with the insulin resistance (PCOS) I found eating like a diabetic helped. I would limit my carbs and Sugar, reading packaging was important. As we know there's carbs in practically everything. I would say to have a better understanding of good carbs VS empty carbs.

Processed foods = less helpful with real results. I like being in control of how little to non sodium or carbs and sugars that I place into my meal.

Bakery goods and or breads, pasta noodles- this bloats me up very quick and assists with feeling sluggish. They are also high in carbs. I found Pintrest to be helpful with using vegetables to act as crusts, breads, tortillas and or noodles.

For meal times there's two snack times (mid morning and mid afternoon) lunch and dinner. I would build either a smoothie as breakfast or eggs with veggies. Munch on healthy fruits or veggies or source of protein for my snacks. Lunch, I would eat light (soup without pasta noodles and homemade, or salads or poultry or fish with veggies). Dinner, depending if I had a light or heavier lunch I'd do vice versa for this meal. Rice would be a side with veggies and poultry or fish. I used my fitness pal to keep me on track mainly with my carb count. Also remember the more you exercise, the more you burn and more leeway you have to still losing weight. You can also treat yourself occasionally without seeing yourself going backwards. I wouldn't treat yourself until you gain control of sticking to moderation and knowing how to curve temptation with crap food.

Meat- I try staying away from red meat and stick to chicken, fish and or occasionally ground turkey. Again Pintrest for recipes helps with not feeling this transition isn't do-able.

Fast food- Ha! Try taking out of diet, this alone will highly improve your health and detoxing your body.

I will say with a solid 8wks of eating zero crap and being focused with exercise I had dropped 30lbs. I have learned so much and I'm in better shape now than I was in Highschool. Im currently down 55lbs. I searched exercises to be personalized for my troubled areas. I found the best workouts for those areas, as well with cardio to work my entire body..

This isn't just about looking good but about feeling good, improving ones overall Heath. It's about trying to prevent illness' or worsen your current health conditions and extending ones life.

Left May 25th 2015 and right most recent

32vvme127s9h.jpeg

Replies

• Irv2015
    Irv2015 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Great post.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story!

You look great btw!
  • kerriann4
    kerriann4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Thank you so much for the information, I , too, have PCOS. It's so hard to lose weight. I have nearly 100 pounds to lose. Your advice is sure to help me in my journey :)
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    kerriann4 wrote: »
    You look amazing!! Thank you so much for the information, I , too, have PCOS. It's so hard to lose weight. I have nearly 100 pounds to lose. Your advice is sure to help me in my journey :)

Thank you! I know how frustrating hormonal imbalance and insulin resistance can be. I'm glad my words have encouraged you. You got this!
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    Thank you everyone.
  • Jackiedeluis
    Jackiedeluis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look so good. Thank you for sharing, this has been great advice for me as I have PCOS as well.
  • bethanybruner
    bethanybruner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I was diagnosed with PCOS in November. I finally had a consultation with an endocrinologist in February who straight-up told me that none of my symptoms would improve unless I lost weight. I started that day (February 18th) and am now down 24 pounds, but I'm still around 70 away from my goal. Like you, I've tried to cut carbs but learned quickly that I get grumpy when I try to cut them out entirely. It makes me feel like I'm "dieting." Not to mention, I don't think I could sustain that kind of discipline for the rest of my life. So I still eat rice and even pasta, I just try to "save up" my carbs that day to stay within my macros. I also try to make substitutions when I can (zucchini "noodles," brown rice, pita bread instead of white buns, etc). I love reading success stories from other women with PCOS because I feel like they really get it. You really look amazing! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Im happy that my story can give hope to those feeling although the journey is hard and or discouraged with PCOS. Dont give up and keep pushing. It does get easier as time goes on. I like Jillian Michaels DVD 30day shred with 2lb weights. DVD is about $8 at Target. I personally didn't get a gym membership. I jogged the nearby park until I was about to jog for about 20-40min. I would use a park bench for tricep dips and step ups. I would run up and down the stairs in my house. Jillian Michaels, once I was use to the routine (25min) I would sometimes do it more than once a day.

Breakfast smoothies-mixed berries (frozen aisle), spinach, Greek yogurt, water, half a banana.

Sweet potatoe wedges (snack)- sweet potatos cut into wedges, lightly tossed with olive oil, garlic powder and pepper, 425 on a foil lined baking sheet in oven for 20-22 min.

(Lunch) Salad- hard boiled egg, baked chicken, tomato, avocado, light cheese, spinach and a little dressing.

As a treat, I'd treat myself to some crab salad on a Friday night from the deli at the grocery store. (This in replacement to fast food). I'd occasionally get chocolate milk as well.

Another thing that helped, reading ingredients to my spices. If salt was added, I switched it out with Dash seasonings (has no salt added in Dash). It's well worth it.

Good luck!
  • alysmilne
    alysmilne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is really great to see! Generally on forums regarding PCOS with weightloss you only hear people saying how impossible it is for them and it makes it very difficult to stay motivated! It's great to see some positive results!

Another thing I struggle with is how down people are on low Carbers, but I know that as a fellow pcos suffer that is the dietary change that makes weightloss work for me! Thanks for representing us like a boss haha!
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    As much as I love carbs, I can see a 6lb rise in one day if not careful. This is why I know it works best for me to limit and or stay away from high carbs. :) my husband has a gluten allergy so my transition to cooking gluten free for him was interesting.

That was the beginning to do away with breads and other bakery foods. I believe I might have some food allergies but have yet to be tested. I can say when not being mindful of what I eat, my face bloats up and I don't feel as good. This is why I've found alternatives to breads and or noodles :) I LOVE Italian food and if I can make a change to have overall better health. Anyone can do it! Low carbs have me feeling better in my own skin and about myself. It works for me :)
  • crazycatgirl22
    crazycatgirl22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find this thread so helpful. Glad to know I'm not the only one with pcos who is struggling!
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you aim for a day? I was doing good around 140 g, but then I upped it a little. Now it's hard to get them down again. I can definitely feel the difference.
  • tiffanylezett
    tiffanylezett Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

Can you add me? Very inspirational and I need some motivation! I have pcos also.
  • RonFrances8
    RonFrances8 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    great job..... I started to do the things you mentioned, Got off track but need to get it back. Thanks for sharing!
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    diwijo13 wrote: »
    How many carbs do you aim for a day? I was doing good around 140 g, but then I upped it a little. Now it's hard to get them down again. I can definitely feel the difference.

Honestly I don't really count them. I just know which foods to stay away from. If I do a higher amount of carb intake (such as rice can be 35g a Serv) I try keeping that with only one meal a day. I mainly try to do fresh produce and or fruits, fish or chicken. Also watch how much milk you intake ect. Many items have carbs and really adds up quickly. Once you get a system down, knowing which items have affected your body the most you tend to get use to the change.

What kinds of food do you find yourself drawn to? I'm sure you're managing well and possibly need to remove one of your go to's and or possibly up your exercise to see more of a change.

I'm here if you have any more questions :)
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

Can you add me? Very inspirational and I need some motivation! I have pcos also.

Don't give up! Best advice for those who have PCOS, eat like a diabetic :) I have better results keeping carbs low and watching Sugar as well as sodium. You can do it, it might be difficult but it's worth it.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    I find this thread so helpful. Glad to know I'm not the only one with pcos who is struggling!

So thankful to help others who understand the struggle with PCOS. You aren't alone! It can be discouraging, even in moments of feeling you don't see a change. Give yourself time and don't give up, keep pushing even if you feel it's not paying off. I know we all want to see fast results. It doesn't always happen that way but in the end, being persistent and consistent with exercise/healthier eating choices you will see a change!
  • Keep_on_cardio
    edited April 2016
    Options
    great job..... I started to do the things you mentioned, Got off track but need to get it back. Thanks for sharing!

Youre welcome, I hope some of what I shared helps and works for you :)
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Options
    Helpful tips for carb hacks: pizza crust and or dough based items, try CAULIFLOWER :) you can also use cauliflower to make tortillas :)

(After pizza crust, I'll give you a pasta noodle substitute; spaghetti squash)

Pizza crust:
    Ingredients
    Garlic powder, Italian seasoning, thyme, oregano
    (or whatever spices you like for pizza)
    2 eggs
    1 head of cauliflower

1. Either with a food processor or cheese grater, grind up cauliflower (size of grain of rice).

2. Place ground pieces into a pot of water, boil on stove under texture of mash potatoes.

3. Drain out all the excess water and pat dry

4. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray

5. Mix two eggs in with cauliflower and mash together.

6. Place mixture onto baking sheet, flatten dough into shape of a pizza. Then use your spices to place on top of dough.

7. Set oven to 450 and place into oven for 10-13 min. Remove and add sauce with additional toppings and cheese. Bake an additional 12-15 (until top is cheese is Melted)

Enjoy!

Now if you're a pasta lover, think about SPAGHETTI SQUASH (vegetable by potatoes;yellow)

1. Poke knife in and out, in direction as you will cut squash in half.

2. Place on microwave safe dish; 3-5min to soften squash.

3. Cut squash in half

4. Use a spoon to scrape out seeds

5. Olive oil and season both halves (I use pepper and garlic powder, add spices after it cooks)

6. On a baking sheet place face down. Place into preheated oven at 375 for 35min.

7. Wait for it to cool, use a fork to drag through each middle of each halve. This strings out like spaghetti. Enjoy with pasta sauce and or Alfredo with chicken and or fish with or without more veggies.

Enjoy! :) (carb hacks)
  • chupajen
    chupajen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, and that black romper(?) is adorable. Keep up the good work, these before and after pix are really inspirational.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!