Should I change my weekly weight loss goal?

Options
So since starting (4 weeks ago) my weekly loss has been set at 1.5lb but the last week i have been feeling hungry with the calorie goal of 1270.
The only exercise I do daily is walking, which the last week i have had to eat the calories back but as i only average 7k steps a day i dont think this is the best thing to do. (In the future if I do start exercising I will eat about 50% cal back as recommened by many on mfp)

I started at 13st 11.8
I am now 12st 13
I have a target weight of 10st 7
So I still have 2st 6lb or 34lb to go

Replies

• evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are feeling very hungry, it is probably in your best interest to drop to 1 lbs a week to get more fuel. Kudos to you for considering it, most people get hung up on always losing X pounds a week, then crash and burn when that loss becomes unrealistic. Very healthy attitude, and quite rare around here sometimes. You are doing great, keep it up.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes...even tot start with it was probably too aggressive.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

As for eating back exercise calories...I eat mine back...all of them. Always did and it didn't hamper weight loss.
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Looking at you info it strikes me that you intended to lose 6lb and actually lost 12.8 lb (6.8 lb greater loss rhan predicted). Some of this will be water weight in the first couple of weeks (for the sake of easy maths, let's assume 2.8 lb of water weight) so your weekly deficit has averaged 3,500 more than MFP predicted (500 calories per day). You may have eaten less than you thought or you may have burned more than MFP calculated (after all, the data is just based on averages).

Please plug your statistics back into MFP and add 250 calories per day to the MFP recommendations. See how you go over the next 4 weeks and adjust accordingly.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, changed it to one pound a week. With the big weight loss at start yes was very extreme super shocked but came from eating 10-15 fruits a day including 5 bananas on top of three big meals a day. I think a lot was from bloating as in the first two weeks my belly reduced dramatically!

Now on 1500 which def feels more realistic long term.