#'s check please

Options
Hello

45 year old male, 5'5", current weight is 187.8 and am looking to lose weight.

Current goal is
1650 calories
25% carbs
30% fat
45% protein

1 hour cardio per day + 1 hour weight lifting three times per week
2 hours cardio all other days

Years ago I was working with a trainer who gave me those #'s and on weight days I would jack up to 1900 calories with more focus on protein,exact percentages I don't recall so I've not implemented it and not sure I should.

Thank you

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    That's a whole lot of protein.

The RDA of adequate protein for men is 56 grams. That's 0.8 grams per kilogram of ideal weight.

The recommendation I've seen for optimal protein (especially if body building or losing weight) is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal weight (middle of normal BMI).
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Calories seem low to me for what you are doing, but I an near a foot taller and weight almost two of you. I am more concerned about your gym plan. Are you starting from a dead stop (no gym at all) and hitting the gym like that? That's a lot of time in the gym, watch for signs of burnout. It is very easy to over train right off the bat.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think this is a lot of exercise. Too much in my opinion. You don't mention rest days but with that level of exercise you will, sure as hell, need them.

My advice would be to aim for 1 hour exercise (focusing mainly on weights and finishing with some cardio) 3 to 4 times per week. Personally, I like to keep my calories the same on each day but I know that some people like to eat more on work out days - whatever works as long as the weekly cals hit the target.

Your target of 1650 looks like it is the ball park for 2lb loss per week based upon 3-5 work outs per week, but if you insist on the 2 hours per day schedule I would say that your cals are too low.

Macros are a personal choice and if you like the meals that this ratio gives you go for it, but for me at 1650 cals the protein looks quite with respect to the fat and carbs (186g P but only 55g of F and 100g C).
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    First off thank you all for responding, I greatly appreciate the time taken to read and respond to my question.
    seska422 wrote: »
    That's a whole lot of protein.

The RDA of adequate protein for men is 56 grams. That's 0.8 grams per kilogram of ideal weight.

The recommendation I've seen for optimal protein (especially if body building or losing weight) is 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass or 0.8 grams per pound of your ideal weight (middle of normal BMI).

My original trainer was a professional body builder who was big on protein. My goals were to lose weight and build up muscle.
    Calories seem low to me for what you are doing, but I an near a foot taller and weight almost two of you. I am more concerned about your gym plan. Are you starting from a dead stop (no gym at all) and hitting the gym like that? That's a lot of time in the gym, watch for signs of burnout. It is very easy to over train right off the bat.

No i've been running and lifting weights on and off for years. I started getting to the gym more seriously in December but didn't watch my calories and was eating like a pig especially on weekends.
    Thanks for the warning about burnout and overtraining. I did that about 3 weeks ago prior to a vacation week and was trying to lose alot too fast and nearly passed out at the gym.

I think this is a lot of exercise. Too much in my opinion. You don't mention rest days but with that level of exercise you will, sure as hell, need them.

My advice would be to aim for 1 hour exercise (focusing mainly on weights and finishing with some cardio) 3 to 4 times per week. Personally, I like to keep my calories the same on each day but I know that some people like to eat more on work out days - whatever works as long as the weekly cals hit the target.

Your target of 1650 looks like it is the ball park for 2lb loss per week based upon 3-5 work outs per week, but if you insist on the 2 hours per day schedule I would say that your cals are too low.

Macros are a personal choice and if you like the meals that this ratio gives you go for it, but for me at 1650 cals the protein looks quite with respect to the fat and carbs (186g P but only 55g of F and 100g C).

yeah I forgot to mention I'd rest on Sundays.

Thank you for the advice, I think I'll cut down on exercise a bit. I was aiming a bit high because I was at that disgusted point for letting myself gain so much recently after spent alot of time losing it (originally I was at 230 years ago).