Weigh cooked or raw??

Options
Hey all
New to dieting and the community, been eating healthier for maybe 9-10 days now. Recently started to use the app which I find brilliant, but I was wondering if the weight of a serving eg 100g of beef was raw or cooked? I've weighed my food raw and cooked, and have noticed that in some products there can be a big difference. For example beef 449g raw = 371g cooked
Chicken 553g raw = 368g cooked
I only ask because I don't want to be cheating my figures and hence myself. I have been assuming its meant raw.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Unless it specifies, always weigh raw
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Weigh it raw. And if the package doesn't have specific nutrition information use the USDA entry.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i always assume it means raw .however i have a big problem with the packaging when i buy chicken thighs. the package is about 850gr. and it has 4 pieces in it. it says that per 100gr. it has 240cal (or something close to that number),which would make each thigh at close to 500cal. however, they also come with bones and skin which i obviously do not eat, so the actual meat is very little. is this really the amount of calories in chicken thigh meat? to me it seems unreasonable so in this case i make an exception and assume that the 100gr/240cal. are meant for the meat only and do not include the bones for the weighing part.thoughts?
  • BeardedBadas
    BeardedBadas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hmm I see what you mean, as I'm new to this I can't be of much help. But, if you deboned and skinned the thigh, and then searched for calorie content of just chicken meat per 100g etc, would that then be more accurate do you think?
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I always weigh after cooking simply because I cook more than one portion and if they are varying weights then I still don't know which I picked. So I know my protein is always understated for meat portions.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hmm I see what you mean, as I'm new to this I can't be of much help. But, if you deboned and skinned the thigh, and then searched for calorie content of just chicken meat per 100g etc, would that then be more accurate do you think?

There's always going to be some variability in calorie content, the goal is to be as accurate as possible without going insane. Yes if you have boneless meat, it will obviously be more calories per gram than an entry that accounts for chicken with the bone in. Also the type of meat (breast/ thigh/ what not) is also going to make a difference.

The best way to log is of course by using the packaging information. The next best would be using a USDA entry and choosing the most applicable one. If you look at the example link, you see that they can have some pretty specific choices (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/Beef_Veal_Nutrition_Facts.pdf). Most of these are probably already inputted in mfp, also to note the entries with the green check mark have been verified and are the safest to use.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options

that would be too much work really. i haven't had problems with my weight loss so far so i don't let it annoy me too much. :-)