What am I doing wrong...

Options
Hi am obviously doing something wrong as my weight or measurements have not changed at all in a month.
So I am 5.2 I weight 10st 1lb (weight in which I gained after having three knee surgery a after a severe brake) I've always been very active and naturally slim. I feel very disheartened at the moment.. For 5 weeks now I have stuck to a 45 min spinning class 5days a week and one or two days a week taken a toning class. Along with this I have cut out all fizzy drinks and stuck to less then 1000 calories a day (most of the time less) in all this time I have not lost weight on the scales or weight when measured. The only medical issue that could maybe affect weight loss that I have is polycystic overie syndrome but even so would it affect me this much? Any one who can point out my mistakes I'd be very grateful

Replies

• chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but I would almost bet money you aren't using a scale to weigh your food. It's so easy to overestimate, and a very common mistake.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I agree. Be sure to weigh and measure all the foods you are eating.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Eat more!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but my understanding is that it can make weight loss slower and harder for some people.

Have you checked with your doc to make sure your levels are all good?
    Are you watching your carbs at all (it helps some people with PCOS, but isn't universally necessary)?
    Are you using a food scale to weigh your portions? Measuring cups? Eyeballing any portion sizes?
    Would you be comfortable opening your diary for others to take a look?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    With a smaller amount to lose, you need to be patient and your calories need to be on point.
    1. Set your goal to no more than 1 lb per week.
    2. Get a food scale and use it as often as possible for all solid food.
    3. Log accurately and consistently.
    4. Log your exercise and eat back half the extra calories (MFP tends to over-estimate).
    5. Do this for at least 6 weeks and see what happens.

You are most likely eating more than you think, it is really common. I was shocked by how many extra calories I was really eating once I got a food scale! Also remember that even if you are perfect, some weeks you won't lose anything, it is normal to go a few weeks with no weight loss. Good luck!
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My guess is you're overdoing it. You're not giving your body a rest and you're further stressing it by not eating enough. I have PCOS as well and weight loss is overall slower because of it, but I do notice that on days when I stick to a higher calorie (but still a deficit) I lose more than when I try to stick to a much lower calorie intake.

I also started losing MUCH more when I started tracking macros and weighing my food on a kitchen scale.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Lisa1971 wrote: »
    Eat more!

No.

The answer to "What can I do to lose weight?" is never "eat more".
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ..And this, if you're not weighing your food. Turn up the volume so you can hear the groovy tune :tongue:

https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Lisa1971 wrote: »
    Eat more!

No.

The answer to "What can I do to lose weight?" is never "eat more".

I swear if i see another post to someone claiming they are eating 1000-1200 calories and not losing weight and being told they need to eat more...
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work exercising!

One BIG factor: eating fewer than 1000 calories is dangerous! And it actually may be the reason you aren't losing weight.

You're body needs at LEAST that many calories just to function, aka breath, digest, think, grow...So when you don't consume those calories (by eating healthy foods), your body isn't getting what it needs to function at its best!

What that means is that a) you won't have the energy you COULD have to work out and live happily and b) your body thinks it's starving....so it starts to STORE whatever you put in it as fat (it does this because it thinks it won't get fed later).

So you really want to keep your calories above 1000, probably even above THAT but I don't know any details about you and your life so it's hard to come to a true number.

Think of food as FUEL. FUEL your brain and your body first, then you can exercise right and make healthy habits stick.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

One BIG factor: eating fewer than 1000 calories is dangerous! And it actually may be the reason you aren't losing weight.

You're body needs at LEAST that many calories just to function, aka breath, digest, think, grow...So when you don't consume those calories (by eating healthy foods), your body isn't getting what it needs to function at its best!

What that means is that a) you won't have the energy you COULD have to work out and live happily and b) your body thinks it's starving....so it starts to STORE whatever you put in it as fat (it does this because it thinks it won't get fed later).

So you really want to keep your calories above 1000, probably even above THAT but I don't know any details about you and your life so it's hard to come to a true number.

Think of food as FUEL. FUEL your brain and your body first, then you can exercise right and make healthy habits stick.

Oh great! The starvation mode myth again. :/
  • Christine_72
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Oh great! The starvation mode myth again. :/

I knew it would rear it's head eventually...
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

beside the starvation mode myth again, the misunderstanding that the OPer is not eating 1000 or else she would be dropping weight like crazy. The OPer is eating a lot more than 1000 calories, her calorie intake and/or exercise is miscalculated.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 & sedentary other than my hour stationary bike ride each day. I eat at least 1100-1300 cals per day and I'm still losing around 1 lb/wk....you can eat more and probably should eat more