Food Diary

Options
dkginger
dkginger Posts: 167 Member
I posted this back in 2013 and didn't get an answer. I am back again to MFP and wondering if anything has changed so I will pose the question once again.

Is it just me or is there an easier way to do this? When I click on Add Food in my diary, it defaults to "Recent". I have about 4 pages of foods on that tab. When I eat something and get ready to track it, how am I supposed to remember how it is listed. For instance, broccoli. I look under the B's and it isn't there. Then I scroll to the V's thinking maybe it is listed as "Vegetable-Broccoli". Nope, not there either. Maybe F for Fresh? Oh, wait then I find it under G for "Generic - Broccoli Steamed" or some such crazy thing.

Same thing happens with a brand name. If I have roasted edamame for a snack, but I have it on my list as Sprouts Roasted Edamame. I spend my time looking in the E's first, before I scroll the entire list and see it in the S's. It just seems a very tedious process.

I don't have any foods listed under My Foods, and even if I did I'm not sure it would help in searching for the right thing.

Does anyone have tips on how to make tracking easier and faster? I'm sorry if this has been posted before. I have searched and searched and not found anything to help.

Thanks! Kristine

P.S. The site appears to be SOOOO SLOW this time around. It takes forever for the pages to load and fill in the food diary. Is it because of the ads? Is it any better if you sign up for premium?

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to add food I've eaten before via the app, as I can put part of the name in the search and it will find it from my previous entries. If I use the website, it searches the database rather than my previous entries for some reason.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If it's not one of my "regular foods" and on that first page, or in my recents, I also find it easier to use the phone app, and start typing in the name - it usually pulls up any previous entries before i even finish the word, making it easy to select, adjust portion if needed, and I'm done. :smile:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    My recent foods are sorted by how recent. Foods I eat alot are usually on the first page. Foods I eat less often, I type them into the search bar like they are new or scan the bar code because it's quicker than searching through all the recent pages.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to use the app instead of the website for the diary. The search finds my entries first.
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    dkginger wrote: »
    P.S. The site appears to be SOOOO SLOW this time around. It takes forever for the pages to load and fill in the food diary. Is it because of the ads? Is it any better if you sign up for premium?

No. I have premium and it does nothing in terms of webpage loading, TBH it doesn't do much except remove adds. And it's expensive for what it is.
  • odjitsanura
    odjitsanura Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When changing the default add food view, it is not changing to what I select, it is staying the same and yes I told it to change!