Can't Make Myself Eat

Options
Anoble17
Anoble17 Posts: 37 Member
I'm 22 years old. I'm prescribed to take a high dose of Adderall-XR every day, I box several times a week and do associated workouts (or attempt to). I know I'm not consuming enough calories to be have to energy to box as long and as hard as I would like to and also can't lose weight because I'm not eating. I usually don't eat because I'm not hungry, which ordinarily would be a good response. But with Adderall I'm NEVER hungry. Any suggestions on how I can get myself to eat more would be appreciated.

Replies

• crazymama2two
    Options
    talk to your doctor :(
  • stackqt
    stackqt Posts: 2
    Options
    I have the same problem! It keeps saying I'm not consuming enough calories. I have started adding foods that will boost protein and calories such as greek yogurt, fiber-one bars or protein drinks so I'm still getting some nutrition without having to eat a lot of volume. Also I try to eat something before working out even if I'm getting up super early, even if it's something little like a clementine or a few crackers so there's enough sugar on board to not feel light headed. Good luck!
  • errantfirefly
    Options
    I'm there with you. But my meds for my chronic condition make me (for lack of a better term) pukey. If you are not "hungry" have you tried protien supplement drinks or meal replacement bars? It is not a long term solution, but your stomach needs to be lined for the medication anyway, so it might help. I usually have saltines on hand, at least.

My niece is on Adderall and it takes a lot of coaxing to get her to eat. There are a lot of protein smoothies and shakes involved. We've even given her the occasional Ensure. Often food and meds are not friends, but you have try something.

Good luck!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    While you work out with your prescribing doctor how to remedy the situation, I'd suggest drinking some calories if need be. A smoothie with fruit, veggies, flaxseed, yogurt... maybe a (good) meal replacement shake - something along those lines.
  • Anoble17
    Anoble17 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks a heap guys. I've started eating a Crunchy Cliff Bar and drinking a Gatorade primer about 45 minutes before I work out, so I'm not as woozy when I get into the ring. Still not quite hitting the recommended calories, since I had to remove most breads from my diet to cut weight. Yogurt and smoothies are definitely helping a lot.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into a weight gainer shake. Those are a nutritional supplement not only for protein, but fat and carbs as well. Just adjust the servings as needed since you're not trying to actually gain.