Baba ganoush???(:

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
trying to make a oil and tahini free, low cal baba ganoush! Would a spoonful of Greek yogurt along with garlic, lemon juice, and spices work well?(: I've never made it before. Do you just poke the whole eggplant and roast at 400 for 30-40 mins or until sunk in, then peel and purée??(: thanks!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I do it just like that ALL the time. Without Tahini it wont have the same taste but its still good :)

2 large eggplants
    3 cloves minced garlic
    4 Tbsp organic tahini (you can skip this in your case and replace with half yogurt half mustard)
    Sea salt and pepper to taste
    1 large lemon juiced
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp chili powder

Roast eggplants for until charred and sunken in.
    Let the eggplants cool off.
    Cut off the top of eggplants and put them into the food processor (skin on). I leave the skin on for that charred smokey taste.
    Add everything to a food processor and let 'er rip.
    Pulse it a few times until all mixed up.

Thank you!(:
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    For somebody who has never eaten this, how do you eat it? As is? With crackers? With vegetables? All of the above?
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    For somebody who has never eaten this, how do you eat it? As is? With crackers? With vegetables? All of the above?

All of the above! As a spread on sandwiches, with pita bread, crudités, on burgers...etc(:
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I LOVE baba ganoush. I tried to make it with out the tahini and it just wasn't as good.

I did use roasted garlic and that added some nice flavor :smile:
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i feel like the tahini really brings it together.. same with hummus.. let me know if urs turns out good without it!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Love me some baba ganoush! Love hummus, but I'll take baba over the hummus any day!
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i feel like the tahini really brings it together.. same with hummus.. let me know if urs turns out good without it!

Yeah I'm going to try and compensate with some greek yogurt!(:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I never thought of leaving the skin on. Thanks for the recipe Crazy.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Leaving the skin on when charred makes a world of difference here. Also if you can swing in some roasted garlic (roast it when you are doing the eggplant) its even better and you might not even need the yogurt. See if you can add a little bit, and I mean few drops cause a little here goes a long way, sesame seed oil.

I was just going to suggest a little sesame oil - it's so strong that I think you could get some big flavour without adding a ton of calories. I love tahini but I know it's pretty calorie dense, so I often use a dribble of sesame oil in my hummus instead and it's a good substitute.

(Also, I'm saving your recipe because it looks great!)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    we use all olive oil. took a long time to get used to it though
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    Yogurt and mustard @crazyravr ??? :open_mouth:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan too. But, I do prefer it with Tahini. When I make mine I leave the skin on the eggplant, but I do cut it in half. Then I score the cut side of the eggplant into a grid like pattern and rub with salt. I let that sit on the counter for 15 minutes and then drain a bunch of the extra moisture out of the eggplant. Then I wipe off most of the salt. It just makes the eggplant flavor so much more pronounced.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do it just like that ALL the time. Without Tahini it wont have the same taste but its still good :)

2 large eggplants
    3 cloves minced garlic
    4 Tbsp organic tahini (you can skip this in your case and replace with half yogurt half mustard)
    Sea salt and pepper to taste
    1 large lemon juiced
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp chili powder

Roast eggplants for until charred and sunken in.
    Let the eggplants cool off.
    Cut off the top of eggplants and put them into the food processor (skin on). I leave the skin on for that charred smokey taste.
    Add everything to a food processor and let 'er rip.
    Pulse it a few times until all mixed up.

Wow, this sounds delicious! So adding to my grocery list tomorrow :)