I can't believe the difference!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Awesome but also wow is it safe to lose that much so fast? How do you feel?
    could I bother you for a sample dinner you have had on one of the 15 days?

Do you do any cardio?
    congrats and thanks
    Dave
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong LL, I don't mean to question your judgement. I think it's absolutely great that you have done so well. I have just had my eyes opened recently to the flaws that doctors can have. After my wife was misdiagnosed twice, I did a little research and was rather shocked at some of the numbers. It's amazing how many misdiagnosed conditions there have been recently. A lot of it, I believe, is because doctors are forced to take on too many patients because of rising costs, and thus can't devote the time to each one that they would otherwise do.

So after all that, I just have been tending to first question my doctors, then research it and if it lines up with what they say I feel a lot better.

For instance, did you know that a recent study by the American College of Nutrition cited that only 14% of the GP's surveyed felt that they had adequate knowledge of nutrition to give advice to patients.
    - Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Vol. 27, No. 2, 287-298 (2008)

So I guess, my questions just come from my own concerns and I appologize if they didn't come off as congradulatory.

Once again, AWESOME job. Hope you have much continued success with it!

Thanks for the concern!!

I know what I am losing right now is water weight. I have a LOT of water weight to lose on my body!!!

To let you in on a little secret................my family Dr advised me against Atkins..........I tried it his way, low fat diet and 1100 calories a day and exercise. I GAINED about 50 pounds, my sugar was getting out of control to the point of insulin shots and I had to go on high blood pressure medication. I asked him to refer me over to the Diabetes Institute in Norfolk, VA. (Last year I was living in Virginia)...........

I went to see the Diabetic endocrinologist and took my food log as well as my meds log. She said she wanted to me go on a low carb diet and make LIFESTYLE changes, not something I could do temporarily. I told her I was already familiar with Atkins and how I lost 98 pound on Atkins back in 2003 when my OB/GYN diagosed me with diabetes and PCOS. I had been off all meds and felt great!!
    She told me to go back to doing what I did in 2003, which was Atkins by the book and exercise.
    My family Dr told me if I was going to listen to the Diabetic Endorcrinologist that he would no longer see me as a patient. That's fine I told him, I got a new Dr. New Dr was GREAT with me and doing Atkins and worked very well with the Endocrinologist...............

I moved back to my home state of Illinois and the endcrinologist I am seeing here advocates the low carb diet for diabetics..................

I think I have gluten and wheat / grain intolerances also. When I get to Phase 3 of Atkins, I am going to try and add in Ezekiel Bread (sprouted grain) and see if my body can tolerate it.

For now, I am enjoying trying new vegetables that I would have never eaten if I hadn't started Atkins as it is unbelievable how much your taste buds change!!

Last night, I added in organic, plain full fat yogurt last night, sweetened with a tad bit of Davinci's sugar free vanilla syrup and some chopped frozen strawberries..............................
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Do you do any cardio?
    congrats and thanks
    Dave

Hi Dave!!

I FEEL GREAT!!!!! I have more energy than I know what to do with. I am up at 3am every morning, fix my DH breakfast, pack his lunch, clean house, take dog for walk, feed dog, get ready for gym and go to the gym, take shower and head to work!!!

Here is a sample menu:
    For example, yesterday this is what I had to eat:

Breakfast:
    3 hard boiled eggs with sea salt and black pepper
    32 oz of coffee - plain black

Mid-morning Snack:
    3 stalks celery filled with cream cheese

Lunch:
    Lettuce salad (2 cups)
    Home made chicken salad (chicken breast, onion, green pepper, celery, sea salt, fresh ground pepper and kraft full fat mayo)
    Mixed the salad and chicken salad together

Afternoon Snack:
    Romaine lettuce leaf (2)
    4 slices of smoked turkey (nitrate and chemical free)
    2 slices of cheddar cheese (sliced thin)
    1 tablespoon mustard
    Roll up the turkey, cheese and mustard in the romaine lettuce leaf and eat. Just like a sandwich with no bread!!

Supper:
    1 salmon steak
    4 oz of steamed shrimp
    1 cup of steamed broccoli with cheese melted on top
    Cucumber, red onion, tomato and radish salad (mixed with hidden valley ranch dressing)

Bed time Snack:
    1 cup of organic, plain full fat yogurt with 1/4 cup mashed up frozen strawberries, mixed with a bit of davinci's sugar free vanilla syrup.

About 100 oz of water

Yes, I am also doing cardio. Only doing a limited amount due to rehabbing from a car accident I was in back in July. So, my chiropractor has me doing about 13 minutes on the treadmill, walking at my own pace and then I am doing this wind jammer thing with my arms trying to strengthen my shoulders and arm muscles.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Do you do any cardio?
    congrats and thanks
    Dave

Hi Dave!!

I FEEL GREAT!!!!! I have more energy than I know what to do with. I am up at 3am every morning, fix my DH breakfast, pack his lunch, clean house, take dog for walk, feed dog, get ready for gym and go to the gym, take shower and head to work!!!

Here is a sample menu:
    For example, yesterday this is what I had to eat:

Breakfast:
    3 hard boiled eggs with sea salt and black pepper
    32 oz of coffee - plain black

Mid-morning Snack:
    3 stalks celery filled with cream cheese

Lunch:
    Lettuce salad (2 cups)
    Home made chicken salad (chicken breast, onion, green pepper, celery, sea salt, fresh ground pepper and kraft full fat mayo)
    Mixed the salad and chicken salad together

Afternoon Snack:
    Romaine lettuce leaf (2)
    4 slices of smoked turkey (nitrate and chemical free)
    2 slices of cheddar cheese (sliced thin)
    1 tablespoon mustard
    Roll up the turkey, cheese and mustard in the romaine lettuce leaf and eat. Just like a sandwich with no bread!!

Supper:
    1 salmon steak
    4 oz of steamed shrimp
    1 cup of steamed broccoli with cheese melted on top
    Cucumber, red onion, tomato and radish salad (mixed with hidden valley ranch dressing)

Bed time Snack:
    1 cup of organic, plain full fat yogurt with 1/4 cup mashed up frozen strawberries, mixed with a bit of davinci's sugar free vanilla syrup.

About 100 oz of water

Yes, I am also doing cardio. Only doing a limited amount due to rehabbing from a car accident I was in back in July. So, my chiropractor has me doing about 13 minutes on the treadmill, walking at my own pace and then I am doing this wind jammer thing with my arms trying to strengthen my shoulders and arm muscles.
    Wow!:bigsmile: Sounds like you are eating VERY nutritous!:drinker: Glad you shared a day with us:drinker:

FC:heart:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Wow!:bigsmile: Sounds like you are eating VERY nutritous!:drinker: Glad you shared a day with us:drinker:

FC:heart:

Thanks girly!!!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Lioness - that is really great!! I know people can do well on Adkins - done properly. Sounds like you made the best decision for your body and it is working great. Some people absolutely have no energy on Adkins and then you know it isn't for you. In your case it sounds like an excellent choice for your body! Major congratulations!!! I'm jealous though - I've been craving salmon for weeks now. I'll have to break down and buy some this weekend I think - and that salad you made last night sounds wonderful :tongue:

I am newly diagnosed with T2 and really have to watch my carbs, even on meds. I don't understand Dr.'s that say a diabetic should have 30 - 45 grams of carbs per meal and 15 - 30 grams per snack. I would be over 250 if I ate that!!! Good job on your resounding success!!!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i tried atkins and did well until i went back to normal life, totally my issue, but i wanted to share a few things that i really enjoyed on atkins.

steakumms on top of a garden salad with cheese and balsamic vinegar

cordon bleu rollups-grill chicken swiss and ham rolled around the chicken

maybe you would like these too

i wish you all the best
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Lioness - that is really great!! I know people can do well on Adkins - done properly. Sounds like you made the best decision for your body and it is working great. Some people absolutely have no energy on Adkins and then you know it isn't for you. In your case it sounds like an excellent choice for your body! Major congratulations!!! I'm jealous though - I've been craving salmon for weeks now. I'll have to break down and buy some this weekend I think - and that salad you made last night sounds wonderful :tongue:

I am newly diagnosed with T2 and really have to watch my carbs, even on meds. I don't understand Dr.'s that say a diabetic should have 30 - 45 grams of carbs per meal and 15 - 30 grams per snack. I would be over 250 if I ate that!!! Good job on your resounding success!!!

Hi MTGirl -

I am glad that I am working with an endocrinologist that specializes in disorders such as Thyroid, PCOS, diabetes and similar Metabolic disorders.

When I lived in Virginia - I had a woman endo and she was fantastic, GREAT!!! She was the one that told me that South Beach and Atkins are the BEST controlled carb lifestyles.

Now that I moved back home to Illinois, I have a male endocrinologist and he is great too!! He specializes in kidney issues and diabetes mostly.

He told me I need to commit to Atkins for the rest of my life. Which something clicked in me over the holidays and I am ready for the lifestyle change!!

Before I was ready for it to happen and Dr's trying to force lifestyle changes, I just couldn't commit. I am now ready. Hope that makes sense.

Edited to add - I find on low carb sites I belong too, if you have no energy, then you are not eating enough Veggies or just plain, old not eating enough period!!

When you look at it, 20 grams of vegetables on the induction list is a LOT of vegetables!!! Sometimes I don't even eat a whole 20 grams of carbs in a days time frame, it is a LOT of food!!! Veggies has some carbs, good carbs and they are full of fiber too, which helps to fill you up.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    i tried atkins and did well until i went back to normal life, totally my issue, but i wanted to share a few things that i really enjoyed on atkins.

i wish you all the best

It sounds like you did well on Atkins!! Why not climb the carb ladder and add in those whole, natural foods??? It is a complete lifestyle change and I am struggling financially because my DH eats what I eat and then some, LOL...................so grocery bill is through the roof. Fresh vegetables and fruits are EXPENSIVE!!!! Trying to go organic with free range chicken, eggs, and grass fed beef is even more expensive!!!

I do know a couple of people that have done atkins that do eat a little off plan for a meal or 2, then jump right back on.
  • LeanLioness
    Options

i wish you all the best

It sounds like you did well on Atkins!! Why not climb the carb ladder and add in those whole, natural foods??? It is a complete lifestyle change and I am struggling financially because my DH eats what I eat and then some, LOL...................so grocery bill is through the roof. Fresh vegetables and fruits are EXPENSIVE!!!! Trying to go organic with free range chicken, eggs, and grass fed beef is even more expensive!!!

I do know a couple of people that have done atkins that do eat a little off plan for a meal or 2, then jump right back on.

I am going to try some of those you mentioned, except the Cordon Bleu one, as I don't care for blue cheese...........:sick:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

i wish you all the best

I am going to try some of those you mentioned, except the Cordon Bleu one, as I don't care for blue cheese...........:sick:

I don't think there is blue cheese in the Cordon Bleu - just ham, chicken and SWISS cheese. :flowerforyou:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Wow. I can't believe it either! I sw your picture and I thought it was a new member. Then when I clicked the profile I really noticed that name and went... OMG Lioness!!! Holy Sh**!

Amazing difference.

Be gentle on yourself with that Atkins, I have heard some scary stuff about staying on it too long- but as a jump start it can't hurt :wink:

I have done it before...............

I know a few people that are maintaining with Atkins and they are doing GREAT!!! Atkins is one of the most healthy ways to eat and make lifestyle changes with if DONE CORRECTLY!!

Most people try to stay on induction and that is where the problem lies, it is done incorrectly, then gets bashed because of it. There is a science behind it and it really works.

There is nothing wrong with Atkins if you follow the carb ladder up and add in your veggies, fruit, nuts, etc............grains in limited quantities are the last to be added in near maintenance.............I am trying to get my eating plan all organic, free of chemicals, antibiotics in meats, etc............It is hard to do because of expense.

My Doctor put me on Atkins because I am diabetic and that is the only thing that puts my blood sugar and blood pressure in check. I will be off all meds by summer time.

I am on limited exercise due to rehabbing injuries incurred in a car accident over the summer.

I just completed Atkins Phase 1 (Induction) and I am moving into Atkins Phase 2 either tonight or over the weekend...........I have to go grocery shopping as I am looking forward to adding in yogurt, strawberries, raw almonds and zucchini into my eating plan this week.!!!

OMG, I am sooo glad to yet another person who understands how to do Atkins the correct way. There is so much misinformation floating around that people misunderstand and get the wrong idea about it. Done properly, Atkins can be a great way of eating. Way to go, girl! You look GREAT and are doing an AWESOME job!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    OMG, I am sooo glad to yet another person who understands how to do Atkins the correct way. There is so much misinformation floating around that people misunderstand and get the wrong idea about it. Done properly, Atkins can be a great way of eating. Way to go, girl! You look GREAT and are doing an AWESOME job!

Thanks for the compliments!!!

There are a lot of people that merely eat meat, eggs, and cheese with no veggies and not following the carb ladder and say that they are doing Atkins!!! That is not how I eat.

Yes, I see the low-fat mantra is still alive and kicking, LOL.....................it is as bad as the good old boy network, LOL.......................

I understand why they keeping touting the low-fat, high carbage mantra and it is to keep doctors and the Big Pharma in business.....................

If everyone started eating the way you do on Atkins, South Beach or any of the other controlled lifestyles, there would be so much less disease and illness!!!

People don't understand that fat is natural, processed sugar is not................low-fat foods have added sugar to keep a similar taste as their full fat counter parts......................so they are still consuming so many empty calories by eating those 100 calorie snack packs. I find them a total joke.

Give me a salad and some grilled chicken with full fat ranch dressing ANY DAY!!!!