Where can I find some information on breaking through plateauing

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    WSCHEREM wrote: »
    OK thanks for all the replies, except the few who have went past "I disagree" to bad cliches.

I have used MFP the same way as I always have, with the same accuracy and dedication. After the 40 lb loss, calories had to be limited to 1650, not, 1950.

That's all that changed. Maybe some more job stress too. Sleep went off the rails, bimodal pattern. No more long hikes, just long walks and some 30 to 76 mile bike rides.

The doctor said it could be cortisol and I would have to do even harder workouts

I am under 1650 with exercise. Already having I weak will, and the headaches after 66 mile bike rides, forces me to back some of that effort.

I am going back to my doctors advice... Hiking..with a 40 lb pack in the white Mountains In one weekend I can burn 8000 calories while just taking 1000 to 2000 in. At the end of day, you are truly exhausted. You don't have a appetite. For some strange reason the 560 calories in a mountain house freeze dried meal
    Is fine.,... I way too tired to wake up with a empty stomach.

I will open my stats and vitals

Actually, harder workouts may increase your cortisol

• Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2016
    Up your calories to maintence levels. Keep carbs high. keep fat low & for two days or more. You don't need complicated theory's like half of these people are trying to suggest to you. It's a hormonal inbalance & the last thing your body wants is to let go of any body fat. Leptin is a hormone that controls your metabolism if you stay in a caloric deficit for too long & low carb your body does not like it. Because any "diet" or calorie deficit goes against the very purpose of burning fat. Your body is trying to survive by holding onto its fat because the purpose of fat is a survival gland and that's it's survival mehacnism to hold onto it to protect you from starvation. Stop all cardio & any other high energy output excercise & go for a relaxed long walk in nature and be at peace. It's certainly a time for you to destress & chill out. It will workout for you, just relax more and start slowly introducing carbohydrates again to your diet perhaps even stregically every 5-6 days have a higher carb intake while switching back to a caloric deficit and you'll burn fat. Be good to yourself & love your body, it's a time of nourishment and healing. I hope you take care of yourself :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Are you tracking every bite and drop that you consume? Weighing food?

Are you tracking calorie expenditure? How? With an HRM? Are you eating back exercise calories?

What is your activity level set to? Have you re-calculated calorie needs as you lost weight?

Assuming that you are tracking calories in and calories out accurately and that you are at the correct calorie level on MFP and have been for 6 months, and you still are hovering around the same weight on the scale, then you might actually be in a plateau. Some don't believe it is possible, but I've been there myself.

The next step is to cut calories further. If you still are not losing after a few weeks, then try adding calories (to what you think would be a surplus -in my case during my first long plateau, I went with a 7,500+ calorie surplus every other day for about 6 weeks - if you do that and don't gain any weight still, then you can be sure you are really in a plateau.

OK, so let's say you've made it this far and you have confirmed without a doubt that you are in a plateau. Here is the bad news: There probably isn't anything you can do to force it to stop. Once, I was able to end a plateau by eating nothing but protein powder for 10 days. Other times, not so much. The good news is that plateaus end in a "whoosh" if you don't destroy your total deficit. So let's say your plateau lasts for 9 months and you should have lost 18 lbs. during that time (about 1/2 lb. / week after the surplus days) - whenever the plateau ends, you will have a "whoosh" where you will lose an incredible amount of weight (18 lbs.) over about a week or less.

Can you clarify please. Did you eat over 7,500 calories over maintenance every 2nd day for 6 weeks and didn't gain any weight? I'm not sure if I'm reading this right..

During part of that time, yes. The first 4 weeks were more like 8K-9K calories over maintenance, then dropped off to end the 6 weeks at only 3K over maintenance every other day (with 5K and 6K in between... so average out to 7.5K). I did not gain weight during that time. Prior to that, for 2 months, I had not lost any weight despite eating at a 500 calorie daily deficit.

This is exactly what a plateau looks like - weight does not change (aside from ups and downs from water weight) no matter how much or how little one consumes or expends. The term "plateau" is often used incorrectly. If someone is eating at maintenance (whether they know it or if they just are not logging well enough to know it) and not losing weight, that is not really a plateau. Real plateaus are rare, but some of us actually encounter them. They are incredibly frustrating, to the point that it can lead people to completely give up. After all, if I can't lose weight anyway, I may as well eat as much as I want.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Are you tracking calorie expenditure? How? With an HRM? Are you eating back exercise calories?

What is your activity level set to? Have you re-calculated calorie needs as you lost weight?

Assuming that you are tracking calories in and calories out accurately and that you are at the correct calorie level on MFP and have been for 6 months, and you still are hovering around the same weight on the scale, then you might actually be in a plateau. Some don't believe it is possible, but I've been there myself.

The next step is to cut calories further. If you still are not losing after a few weeks, then try adding calories (to what you think would be a surplus -in my case during my first long plateau, I went with a 7,500+ calorie surplus every other day for about 6 weeks - if you do that and don't gain any weight still, then you can be sure you are really in a plateau.

OK, so let's say you've made it this far and you have confirmed without a doubt that you are in a plateau. Here is the bad news: There probably isn't anything you can do to force it to stop. Once, I was able to end a plateau by eating nothing but protein powder for 10 days. Other times, not so much. The good news is that plateaus end in a "whoosh" if you don't destroy your total deficit. So let's say your plateau lasts for 9 months and you should have lost 18 lbs. during that time (about 1/2 lb. / week after the surplus days) - whenever the plateau ends, you will have a "whoosh" where you will lose an incredible amount of weight (18 lbs.) over about a week or less.

Can you clarify please. Did you eat over 7,500 calories over maintenance every 2nd day for 6 weeks and didn't gain any weight? I'm not sure if I'm reading this right..

During part of that time, yes. The first 4 weeks were more like 8K-9K calories over maintenance, then dropped off to end the 6 weeks at only 3K over maintenance every other day (with 5K and 6K in between... so average out to 7.5K). I did not gain weight during that time. Prior to that, for 2 months, I had not lost any weight despite eating at a 500 calorie daily deficit.

This is exactly what a plateau looks like - weight does not change (aside from ups and downs from water weight) no matter how much or how little one consumes or expends. The term "plateau" is often used incorrectly. If someone is eating at maintenance (whether they know it or if they just are not logging well enough to know it) and not losing weight, that is not really a plateau. Real plateaus are rare, but some of us actually encounter them. They are incredibly frustrating, to the point that it can lead people to completely give up. After all, if I can't lose weight anyway, I may as well eat as much as I want.

I still am very dubious of this...to the point where I don't believe it at all.

Even in regular life when people are losing and hit a "stall" it's all due to not logging correctly or adaptive thermogenisis. Metabolic changes happen to us all but to the point where you can eat on average 7500 calories over maintenance for 6 weeks and not gain...

I remember watching my skinny 16 yo brother try to gain...for about 4 weeks he ate my parents out of house and home...all the while lifting, running, biking, swimming etc...he eventually gained using all the food and extra protein powder shakes because he just couldn't eat enough food to get there with all his activity...

again not really a plateau tho...

I say anyone who thinks they are in a plateau is in one of two camps...eating more than they think or not eating as much as they think for their activity...

out bodies (unless there is a medical issue) just doesn't work that way...it really is a machine.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    I spoke to my doctor about it and he said what I have to do is increase my workouts so that they are longer harder and more of a challenge

Doctors are not experts on training, nor are they on nutrition. It's easy to think they would be as both affect the human body. But nope, they are not.

Also, it sounds like 'plateau' is becoming the latest buzzword in regards to weight loss, or lack of. It gets used far too easily.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    @midwesterner85 It must have taken a long time to log the 10 to 11k! I'm currently on 3250 cals but the logging takes significantly longer than when I'm on a deficit (partially because there is more food to log but partially because there is a lot more variety to my food intake when bulking).
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Dear WSCHEREM, Since you asked for a book recommendation, the best one I've read in years is "Always Hungry?" by Dr. David Ludwig. He's an endocrinologist from Harvard and he really gets deep into the science of how our bodies use each gram of carb/fat/protein. Excellent read and apparently good solid science. Good Luck to you...

As far as the controversy raging in this thread, I prefer to do my thing and stay out of it. Thanks...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    @midwesterner85 It must have taken a long time to log the 10 to 11k! I'm currently on 3250 cals but the logging takes significantly longer than when I'm on a deficit (partially because there is more food to log but partially because there is a lot more variety to my food intake when bulking).

Not really. I ate a lot of high calorie food - logging a pizza with over 2K calories, for example, takes very little time. I would log things by the package or with higher quantities. It takes almost as long to log 12 donuts as it does to log 1 donut, for example.
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Even in regular life when people are losing and hit a "stall" it's all due to not logging correctly or adaptive thermogenisis. Metabolic changes happen to us all but to the point where you can eat on average 7500 calories over maintenance for 6 weeks and not gain...

I remember watching my skinny 16 yo brother try to gain...for about 4 weeks he ate my parents out of house and home...all the while lifting, running, biking, swimming etc...he eventually gained using all the food and extra protein powder shakes because he just couldn't eat enough food to get there with all his activity...

I say anyone who thinks they are in a plateau is in one of two camps...eating more than they think or not eating as much as they think for their activity...

out bodies (unless there is a medical issue) just doesn't work that way...it really is a machine.

Just because you don't understand it and have never experienced it yourself doesn't mean it can't and doesn't happen.
  • SezxyStef

Not really. I ate a lot of high calorie food - logging a pizza with over 2K calories, for example, takes very little time. I would log things by the package or with higher quantities. It takes almost as long to log 12 donuts as it does to log 1 donut, for example.

Just because you don't understand it and have never experienced it yourself doesn't mean it can't and doesn't happen.

I understand what you are saying...and I've seen (as I said above my brother go through not being able to gain) but there is always an reason...not really getting in the calories you think you are or being active enough that you are burning more than you think ....or weight gain/loss not being linear and like in weight loss "Woosh" there also can be weight gain "bams"

I firmly believe that any plateau is due to not logging properly (either in or out) or over/under estimating CICO equation...all the science backs that up...

albeit medical conditions throw a wrench into the situation...however the OP doesn't have a "known" medical condition....so that is a moot point and those with medical conditions causing issues shouldn't give their experience as what to do as there are things in their experience that cannot be replicated in others due to medical conditions.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    my goodness all these people constantly giving advise that isnt backed by science.
    It such a simple concept and if you use it it works. Science works! Look at my profile pic. It works!
    Your body expends energy, you give it energy. If you give it just as much as it expends/burns it will not need to go into stored reserves to get the additional energy it needs so you dont lose weight.
    Having said that if your not accurately logging the calories(energy) your taking in compared to what your expending(burning) you wont lose. You may need to lower calories as you weigh less/reduce fat/body mass as adaptive thermogenesis reduces your body's rate of energy(calorie) burn. No way eating more calories(energy) than your body expends(burns) will help your body use from energy reserves(fat) if it doesnt need to tap into energy reserves(fat).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

I understand what you are saying...and I've seen (as I said above my brother go through not being able to gain) but there is always an reason...not really getting in the calories you think you are or being active enough that you are burning more than you think ....or weight gain/loss not being linear and like in weight loss "Woosh" there also can be weight gain "bams"

I firmly believe that any plateau is due to not logging properly (either in or out) or over/under estimating CICO equation...all the science backs that up...

albeit medical conditions throw a wrench into the situation...however the OP doesn't have a "known" medical condition....so that is a moot point and those with medical conditions causing issues shouldn't give their experience as what to do as there are things in their experience that cannot be replicated in others due to medical conditions.

The bolded part is a plateau. It is when you eat at a surplus or deficit for a long period of time and the change resulting from that doesn't happen for a very long time. In my case, the plateau lasted more than 5 months and I had a "whoosh" at the end. The "whoosh" would have been larger if I hadn't eaten so much during those 6 weeks. My point is that, during a plateau, eating at a deficit or eating at a surplus will not cause losses or gains for a long time. Those gains/losses don't happen for months during a plateau.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

The bolded part is a plateau. It is when you eat at a surplus or deficit for a long period of time and the change resulting from that doesn't happen for a very long time. In my case, the plateau lasted more than 5 months and I had a "whoosh" at the end. The "whoosh" would have been larger if I hadn't eaten so much during those 6 weeks. My point is that, during a plateau, eating at a deficit or eating at a surplus will not cause losses or gains for a long time. Those gains/losses don't happen for months during a plateau.

again if it lasts longer than 4-6 weeks I go back to inaccurate logging (under/over esitimating CICO equation)

plateaus are from eating at maintenance for a variety of reasons.

What do you call it when the plateau ends and someone loses 8 lbs. in 3 days without any changes within the 4-6 week range as far as CICO?
  • SezxyStef

again if it lasts longer than 4-6 weeks I go back to inaccurate logging (under/over esitimating CICO equation)

What do you call it when the plateau ends and someone loses 8 lbs. in 3 days without any changes within the 4-6 week range as far as CICO?

is this with or without medical conditions in the mix?

I've seen fighters drop 15lbs in 72 hours...I've seen me drop 1lb a day for 7 days...but now that I am a bit more educated I know why.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

I've seen fighters drop 15lbs in 72 hours...I've seen me drop 1lb a day for 7 days...but now that I am a bit more educated I know why.

Which medical condition would cause normal weight loss, then plateaus that last for months as described, then a whoosh, then back to normal weight loss again?
  • WSCHEREM
    WSCHEREM Posts: 19 Member
    I would like to point out that if you eat less, your body can burn fat or your metabolism can slow down. Improper logging is a problem, but it does not explain everything.

I'm at 1650 Cal a day... Checked with the doc again and he reiterates to double the workouts.

• SezxyStef
    edited April 2016

Which medical condition would cause normal weight loss, then plateaus that last for months as described, then a whoosh, then back to normal weight loss again?

I ask if there was a medical condition in the mix....I suspect that there is....otherwise the answer would have been no. Not a question back.
  • Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Listen to your body. The body is always looking for a even balance. The entire essence behind burning fat/losing weight is dependent on hormones.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Tighten up the food logging, its amazing how often we actually consume more than we think.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

I ask if there was a medical condition in the mix....I suspect that there is....otherwise the answer would have been no. Not a question back.

The answer is that I have no medical condition that has been shown to cause what I experienced. Is there any medical condition at all that would?

It's really easy when someone has a medical issue (especially when you don't understand that issue) and some other experience you don't understand to just write it off and say "No, it isn't possible for anybody else, but it must just be that your experience is attributed to a disease of some sort... even though there is no evidence to show that such a disease would cause such symptoms."

If you are going to blame a medical condition, at least put some effort into understanding that condition. Don't just take that approach because it is an easy excuse.