more weights vs more sets

Options
Curious
What is the benefits to more weights vs more sets?
Nobody has been able to give me a straight answer...
Example if I do 4sets of 10 @ 25lbs vs 2 sets of 10 @ 50lbs.
Both will be a total of 1000lbs what is the difference and what will give me the best results?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Well 10x50 lbs is much harder than 10x25 lbs and will make you stronger. If you can do 10x50 lbs with proper form there isn't much point in doing 10x25 lbs unless you are deloading.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    please to define what "best results" means to you
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you are lifting the correct amount of weight for those different size sets, IE you are struggling with the last one or two reps, you will be training your muscles differently depending on the size of the sets. Lower sets generally build strength, mid size sets generally build size, and higher sets generally build endurance.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Heavier weights + less reps = strength gains (powerlifters)

Less weight + more reps (10+) = hypertrophy
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    •1-5 Reps Per Set = Mostly Strength
    •5-8 Reps Per Set = Strength AND Muscle Equally
    •8-10 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Strength
    •10-12 Reps Per Set = Muscle With Some Endurance
    •12-15 Reps Per Set = Endurance With Some Muscle
    •15-20 Reps Per Set = Mostly Endurance

I remember seeing this on these forums from someone who knows their stuff....copied it for times like these.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    but if you can lift 50 lbs for 10 reps, lifting 25 lbs for 10 reps won't do much
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

This.

Plus, I think that this article gives a good overview if you're looking for hypertrophy. Note this section and the chart:
    Now, before jumping in, I will note that the assumptions about lower reps/higher weights building more strength and higher rep/lower weights building more strength endurance have largely been validated. You can still gain strength with light weights/high reps and moderate weight/moderate reps, but strength gains are generally better with heavy, low-rep training.

12752057_10153492667389016_1119053659_o-593x1024.jpg

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I personally don't just stick with one rep and set range. As I don't stick with one routine or program for an extended period of time. I came off of doing 4 sets of 10 reps. The program I'm on now, the rep and set range change every week. For me personally, I have had the best results by changing such often. Compared to sticking to one method for an extended period of time. That said, it really depends on your goals. I used to plateau pretty quickly when sticking with one set and rep range for long periods of time. Now, I like having a mix of strength and endurance focused workouts. Again, this is my personal experience. The best you can do is figure out what you are looking for and wanting. That's going to be the basis for what method you use to obtain that.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    but if you can lift 50 lbs for 10 reps, lifting 25 lbs for 10 reps won't do much

that would just be a warm up set, or a maybe a drop set if you are exhausted.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

1. Definite "much"
    2. I suspect the OP meant for those numbers to be an example of the concept, not an absolute.
    3. If I took me 3-5 minutes to recover from the set with 50 pounds, but I could do all four sets with 25(ish) pounds with 30-45 seconds or less of rest, that might be exactly what I'm for in a search for hypertrophy.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »

This.

Plus, I think that this article gives a good overview if you're looking for hypertrophy. Note this section and the chart:
    Now, before jumping in, I will note that the assumptions about lower reps/higher weights building more strength and higher rep/lower weights building more strength endurance have largely been validated. You can still gain strength with light weights/high reps and moderate weight/moderate reps, but strength gains are generally better with heavy, low-rep training.

12752057_10153492667389016_1119053659_o-593x1024.jpg

I JUST got done reading that article! Love his stuff.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert on strength training, and I am going back this week after taking 4 months off because my schedule has been too full to make it to the gym. However, I lifted high reps (as many as 50 for some lifts) and am going back to high reps. The reason I'm lifting anyway is to build muscles for climbing, so I'm also not doing lower body. Is that wrong?! No. It is right for me. The first question you need to ask yourself is, "Why am I lifting weights?" My plan was designed for a newbie rock climber. Your plan should be designed to your answer.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would think you would want to focus on strength if you were a rock climber. Without adding size of course. Why not go heavier with lower reps? Not sure what your goal is with reps or 50...

I won't address the lack of leg training.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I would think you would want to focus on strength if you were a rock climber. Without adding size of course. Why not go heavier with lower reps? Not sure what your goal is with reps or 50...

My guess - and I'm just guessing - is that rock climbing requires many many many repeated raises and pulls. So the higher rep is to help the muscle endurance, to allow you to keep raising your hands over your head and pulling yourself up?

But, yeah - it would seem that a mix would be in order, as it doesn't matter how many times you can lift your hands up, if you can't support the weight you're pulling up.

And regarding legs, I'd think you'd also want to work those, as you use legs to help stabilize and push yourself up.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

My guess - and I'm just guessing - is that rock climbing requires many many many repeated raises and pulls. So the higher rep is to help the muscle endurance, to allow you to keep raising your hands over your head and pulling yourself up?

But, yeah - it would seem that a mix would be in order, as it doesn't matter how many times you can lift your hands up, if you can't support the weight you're pulling up.

And regarding legs, I'd think you'd also want to work those, as you use legs to help stabilize and push yourself up.

My legs are already strong enough to push up the rest of my body. As to strength, I was increasing weights gradually last time. It may not have been what others who lift heavier weights do (so I do not add 5 lbs. to every session), but as it got easier, I was adding weight. After a few months, I still wasn't quite to lifting my body weight (except pull-up retractions, which was reps of 25), but I was still gaining strength while focusing on endurance. The plan I'm using was made by someone who trains climbers, so I can't really argue with it too much.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I personally don't just stick with one rep and set range. As I don't stick with one routine or program for an extended period of time. I came off of doing 4 sets of 10 reps. The program I'm on now, the rep and set range change every week. For me personally, I have had the best results by changing such often. Compared to sticking to one method for an extended period of time. That said, it really depends on your goals. I used to plateau pretty quickly when sticking with one set and rep range for long periods of time. Now, I like having a mix of strength and endurance focused workouts. Again, this is my personal experience. The best you can do is figure out what you are looking for and wanting. That's going to be the basis for what method you use to obtain that.

I agree with this. This is what I do as well, but that's because it suits my goals, so OP, as everyone else has said please define your own personal goals first and then find a suitable program.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I definitely agree that a strength and endurance combo is ideal, I still question only endurance work unless @midwesterner85 is already strong enough to pull himself up repeatedly already.
  • goofypest24
    goofypest24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses.
    Though I'm more confused than ever I appreciate the feedback.

I guess my original question wasn't clear enough.... Well because I'm confused about what I want as the end result....

What I want to do is to firm up and tone areas that need work. I'm wondering if by doing more sets for endurance will give me the results or should I be doing shorter sets but more weights?

I usually follow up my strength work with some cardio sessions but if I go for higher weights on the strength vthen I have nothing left for the cardio. If I go for endurance then I don't feel like I've done enough.
    I seem to be at a plateau again and finding it frustrating some days when I don't see the difference

Thanks again for the replies
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert on strength training, and I am going back this week after taking 4 months off because my schedule has been too full to make it to the gym. However, I lifted high reps (as many as 50 for some lifts) and am going back to high reps. The reason I'm lifting anyway is to build muscles for climbing, so I'm also not doing lower body. Is that wrong?! No. It is right for me. The first question you need to ask yourself is, "Why am I lifting weights?" My plan was designed for a newbie rock climber. Your plan should be designed to your answer.

Climbers never use their legs. All dynos are arms only.
  • SonyaCele
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses.
    Though I'm more confused than ever I appreciate the feedback.

I guess my original question wasn't clear enough.... Well because I'm confused about what I want as the end result....

What I want to do is to firm up and tone areas that need work. I'm wondering if by doing more sets for endurance will give me the results or should I be doing shorter sets but more weights?

I usually follow up my strength work with some cardio sessions but if I go for higher weights on the strength vthen I have nothing left for the cardio. If I go for endurance then I don't feel like I've done enough.
    I seem to be at a plateau again and finding it frustrating some days when I don't see the difference

Thanks again for the replies

I am gonna give you my wise old lady suggestion. Start a program like stronglifts 5x5 , its a 3 day a week nice lifting program and you can do cardio on the days in between . Do this for a while, like for several months and get to know your body. You'll firm up and also figure out what you enjoy doing. Strength and/or endurance is all good for your body, but whats important is finding a mix of the two that you enjoy and will continue doing forever.