Question about protein shakes

Options
Good Evening! I want to try the protein shakes in the morning but I am having some questions. I am trying to loose weight because according to my doctor. I get very hungry during the day, some people recommended the protein shakes but some others said that I will gain weight if I have the protein shakes. This is my questions: Is any specific type of protein powerd that I have to avoid in order to loose weight? Did any one tried the protein shakes before? It is any brand recommended to loose weight?

Thank you everyone for your time and help
Patty =)

Replies

• BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The only way you'd gain weight from a protein shake is if you made a 3500 calorie protein shake. Otherwise, it's just like any other food: measure it out, log the calories, stay in a deficit for the day/week.

So, no there isn't a specific type to avoid in order to lose weight. But there's also not any specific kind to choose to lose weight either. Shakes are not going to make you lose weight. They may keep you full longer and therefore aid you in keeping your calories in check. I have tried several different powders, and am partial to Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. Nothing special about it, I just like it :)

• patyjara
    patyjara Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it =)
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Of course :) Best of luck on your journey!
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I Like the Premier Protein shakes, I get them at Costco, but you can find them anywhere. They are 160 calories, 30 protein and the sugar is low. I drink them 3-4 times a week for breakfast.
  • ryker555
    ryker555 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the premier protein shakes and the slim fast protein shakes are good also :)
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    FYI I measured the amount of oz in the Premier Protein shake and is 12 not 11 which makes it 175 calories not 160.
    I drink them a lot so I needed to be sure the calories listed on the container is correct; it's not.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I only use organic Orgain protein shakes. Created by s physician who had cancer and is now in remission. After reading every label of every protein shake he could find he became very concerned with the artificial and harmful ingredients added to protein shakes which he believes adds to the risk of developing cancer. He began his own company that makes protein shakes for adults and also has them available for kids. I love the vanilla bean and chocolate fudge. The best I have ever tasted. And safe. All organic. Look up Orgain protein shakes. Healthy and delicious. A great start of your day.
  • MSOLISSCHMIDT
    MSOLISSCHMIDT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ChocoLITE PROTEIN powder you can buy at Jewel or mejer works get 24 grams protein 1 gram of sugar I've made it w milk n water they taste awesome I've been on them for yrs on n off n helps I've lost 100+ also their is another brand but it is very expensive if like pm n I can give u tips good luck n ps these shakes w ice taste just like a real milk shake have turned many people on to them was just my own find hit miss type of deal !
  • patyjara
    patyjara Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your answers! I really appreciate it!!
  • ComBrokerCEO
    ComBrokerCEO Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm BIG on protein shakes. Take a look at my diary for today- see my lunch shake. I'm a BIG FAN of this brand of shake from Costco because it is all organic vegetable protein instead of whey (animal based) protein, and because it is veggie based it is very savory and full of fiber which really keeps you full longer. It's also very affordable from Costco.
  • debbiehall1974
    debbiehall1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use high protein shakes, and I have different ones depending on what I'm eating for the rest of the day. I like the slender blend shakes from protein world, because mixed with unsweetened almond milk, they are creamy and filling and they are under 200 calories. I cannot drink a whole 400ml in one go, so I have them in 2 halves. Mixed with water they are even less calories, but I find them not quite as filling (probably mind over matter as they aren't as creamy). The negative with these is the fibre is very low and I need to make sure I am eating plenty or fibre for my other meals.
    I also use lighter life meal 5/2 fast shakes, I don't fast, I just swap a shake for either breakfast or lunch if I'm in a rush, or I'm having a big meal out for dinner etc (these have a good fibre content). I also use slim fast shakes occasionally.
    I don't know much about nutrition though, so I don't know if these are good or bad shakes, they just work for me as they are convenient, and I like the taste :)