Love Handles

Options
What are the best exercises to get rid of my love handles?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Losing the weight, bruh.
  • katiealice16
    katiealice16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    JayHale16 wrote: »

^wow, seriously helpful answers haha.
    I'd say Russian twists using a medicine ball... planking on your side- also incorporate crunches whilst in that position if your balance is good! I'd say 'superman planks' also help your core in general- where you go from planking on your arms to your hands and so on...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I'd say Russian twists using a medicine ball... planking on your side- also incorporate crunches whilst in that position if your balance is good! I'd say 'superman planks' also help your core in general- where you go from planking on your arms to your hands and so on...

You do realise that love handles are fat and fat cannot be exercised?
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above if you really start gaining muscle in the abs without reducing the fat there it will literally make your love handles bigger.. calorie deficit is everything for those bad boys
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    You can't target specific body parts for fat loss. Just have to get low enough in body fat % for those guys to leave you. I've seen people who weren't overweight who still had love handles but not low enough % for them to go away. For me my lower stomach area seems to be one of the last places I lose weight at, specifically the love handles.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Without an energy deficit, none of this will help you get rid of love handles...
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree that you cant spot lose love handles, and katiealice may want to exercise off the attitude lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Fork put-downs and table push-aways.

It's not possible to spot reduce. Keep losing fat and eventually you'll be rid of them. For most men, love handles are often the last place the fat comes off. Core/ab exercises will help build/strengthen the musculature beneath the fat, but fat itself is inert and can't be exercised.

Do all the Russian twists, planks and crunches you want - you may end up with some fabulous core muscles, but until you lose the fat (via calorie deficit) they'll still be buried beneath a layer of chub.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

If exercises reduced fat then Id have a shredded 8 pack year round. Deadlifts work you're entire body. I do them 1-2 times a week, yet I still have fat deposits. If you'd care to explain that one.

A calorie deficit is the only way to reduce body fat levels. Many of the people on here periodically do bulk and cuts through out the year. We know how to reduce fat as effectively as possible.

• AnthonySoares
    AnthonySoares Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To say that spot reduction is an impossibility, is slightly naive in my humble opinion. As many others have stated, calorie deficit is the EASIEST way to reduce this fat. Unfortunately we all store fat differently, and the only easy way to get rid of it is to eat less and remove it from your body.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    To say that spot reduction is an impossibility, is slightly naive in my humble opinion. As many others have stated, calorie deficit is the EASIEST way to reduce this fat. Unfortunately we all store fat differently, and the only easy way to get rid of it is to eat less and remove it from your body.

It is not naive, it is a fact...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Which is exactly what most everybody else has already said. Only difference being that you apparently (and naïvely) believe it's possible to spot reduce.

Any trainer worth their salt (and for that matter, anybody with the most rudimentary knowledge of physiology) will tell you that's not the case. Fat can't be exercised - adipose tissue doesn't have contractile properties, and working the muscles in a particular region doesn't correlate to reducing the fat adjacent to them/over them. You can start with this study as proof: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21804427
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess that's that.