Im a food addict

Options
I don't have many people in my life that understand food is my addiction. I have little self control when it comes to eating. Is there anyone else that feel this way?

Replies

• mjburgoyne
    mjburgoyne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Five days ago I went to the doctor begging for help because I felt like I had absolutely no control of my body. I was eating all day long. So much so that I would feel absolutely sick like my stomach was going to burst and I would still eat. They gave me a prescription that not only curbs my hunger pains but also removed the desire to snack or crave sweets. You're not alone but it is up to you to conquer your addiction. All addiction recovery is hard and takes a conscious effort for the rest of your life.
  • LeoZandi
    LeoZandi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    mjburgoyne wrote: »
    Absolutely! Five days ago I went to the doctor begging for help because I felt like I had absolutely no control of my body. I was eating all day long. So much so that I would feel absolutely sick like my stomach was going to burst and I would still eat. They gave me a prescription that not only curbs my hunger pains but also removed the desire to snack or crave sweets. You're not alone but it is up to you to conquer your addiction. All addiction recovery is hard and takes a conscious effort for the rest of your life.

Hiiii could you please tell me what the doctor gave you? :)
  • lisa_roberts
    lisa_roberts Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from I also have a food addiction. It's the hardest addiction to have in my opinion, because you can't just stop eating. If you need support I am here I know how hard it is to stay on track. Support of others is a great tool when controlling what you are eating x
  • Cooksonlove91
    Cooksonlove91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes food is going to be a part of life always! You cant just avoid it. I have gone 2 months now without going to a fast food place. Which was a huge issue! Now I find myself eating when I'm home alone and then hiding it so I can eat again. I am trying to stop. I want to stop. Having something necessary for life be something that rules your life is horrible! Which medication was it? My doctor said she wants me to hold off and try on my own first before medication.
  • RegainFiks
    RegainFiks Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am in similar situation, I am able to control my eating during the week but on weekends when I am alone I eat like the is no tomorrow . I really want to stop because I am stuck on the same weight.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to avoid using the word "addiction", but today it seems accurate. The least little stress and I'm back in the kitchen looking for something to feed my face and soothe my feelings. If I manage to force myself to stay out of the kitchen, I fly off the handle at the least little thing. That's not fair to my husband or granddaughter. I feel trapped.
  • Mickeyg1051
    Mickeyg1051 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mjburgoyne, can you please tell us what mess you got?
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've been reading some old research about amino acid depletion, particularly Tryptophan, which when eaten often gets used to synthesize B vitamins instead of create Serotonin. When the brain doesn't get the chemicals it needs it sends out distress signals that are impossible to ignore. The big aminos in play with the brain are, L-Glutamine (if you're low on this you often have IBS stuff wrong or GI tract issues), L-Tryptophan (if you're short on this you probably also don't sleep well), and L-Tryosine (if you get super stressed out all the time and need a lot of coffee you could be short on this...)

Not to push snake oil on anyone. In the 70's and 80's they used to use aminos to treat eating disorders including anorexia. But then a problem with a bad batch of tryptophan occurred. Quite a few regular meds are based on amino therapy.

I had serious anxiety to the point I was on a really high dose of Clonezepam and had trouble even leaving my house. Clonezepam is not for long term use and has serious side effects for the brain. So I went off of it and a year later started on L-Tyrosine in the morning and GABA at night. It has worked a miracle for me, BUT -- everyone is so different and there are so many different variables. (I was on Zyprexa at one point for my inability to sleep - I gained a ridiculous amount of weight very rapidly).

I really think my struggles with eating were rooted with anxiety and not getting nutrients I needed, so guess that is how I've been tackling it. I've slowly dropped 30lbs, and am working on the other 30. ((Hugs))

If you have questions or need links, send me a msg.

Again, sorry to push any sort of "Woo" or anything -- for me it's science and I just had to find SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to help. But I'm not saying it would work for everyone or is a miracle cure... *Cheers from Oregon*
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Counting calories occasionally really helps me see what I am putting in my mouth. Getting control of it is another thing all together. Knowing and being honest with myself is a start.
  • pika67
    pika67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Addiction is the right word!! I know the feeling of being so out of control. It is hard to explain to others who don't get it, suggest portion control or say to 'just get out more'.
  • pika67
    pika67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OregonRunner5- can you share details on the research? Links or something??

• greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    For me, it was about figuring out WHY I was overeating. Once I realized that it wasn't about the food itself, but the emotional aspect of it meant and how I used it to cope emotionally, I was able to work on the root of the issue. I no longer binge (which is what it sounds like you're doing), and I'm steadily losing weight AND gaining a healthier relationship with food.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yup. I know that feeling. I'm in a controlled phaseat the moment, but I dread losing control again.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    greentart wrote: »
    For me, it was about figuring out WHY I was overeating. Once I realized that it wasn't about the food itself, but the emotional aspect of it meant and how I used it to cope emotionally, I was able to work on the root of the issue. I no longer binge (which is what it sounds like you're doing), and I'm steadily losing weight AND gaining a healthier relationship with food.

This is a great approach. Lifelong tools for a lifelong problem.

Pills are just temporary.