Leg Day Routine Critique

Options
Was wondering if anyone could help me with my “leg day” routine? I kind of threw together my own routine based on what equipment is available in my gym, but I’m wondering if I’m utilizing my time appropriately.
My gym doesn’t have a power rack – or really any barbells at all – so I’m limited in what I can do. Currently using 40 minutes 3x/week to focus on legs, and doing upper body 2x/week.

Current routine:
Romanian deadlifts w/ 40lb dumbbells (10x 2)
Box step-ups holding 20 lb dumbbells (10x/leg, 2 sets)
Goblet squats w/ 40 lb kettlebell (10x 2)
Leg abductor/adductor machine – 70lb (10x 2 each)
Elliptical or run (depending on day) – 15 minutes

Thoughts? My goals right now are purely aesthetic and health – not currently focusing on gainz.

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curl
    Sumo squat
    Lunges
    Box jumps

My opinion, you should not train any muscle group more then twice a week.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You've listed the exercises and weights. Are those current weights that you have progressed to. Or are you repeating the same sets/reps/weight every time?

I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with what you've got there: A hinge, a unilateral lunge pattern, a squat pattern. I'm not sure the good girl/bad girl machine adds anything though. You might want to incorporate some calf work, for instance, if aesthetics are on the table. You may want to include some additional volume work for any part you may feel is "lagging", too. It all depends upon your individual needs, wants and weaknesses.

You really need to think about how you're going to progress those weights though. Unlike bar lifts, dumbbells tend to jump at set intervals and often require a more thoughtful approach to progressing them (i.e. add reps each session until you hit some kind of upper bound -say 15 reps - and then go up a dumbbell and drop the reps back to some lower bound - say 8 reps - and rinse and repeat.)

Edited to add: you may want to rotate the main lift the next session: so start with a heavier/more challenging squat variant, then move to a lighter/volume deadlift variant and then finish up with a different unilateral leg movement. Also: these hardly "any barbells at all", if you've got a loadable barbell, I strongly urge you to learn to clean it. Then you can also have power cleans for your hip hinge in your toolbox, front squats for your heavy squat movement, even front rack reverse lunges/step ups/bulgarians.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    How about considering, bulgarian Squats, straight leg dead lifts, parallel squats, stiff leg dead lifts, alternating lunges, step up reverse lunges or instead of lunges do leg curls, leg extensions.

Why do legs more than twice a week? Why not split upper body into three days like back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders or something like this.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    You've listed the exercises and weights. Are those current weights that you have progressed to. Or are you repeating the same sets/reps/weight every time?

I mean, there's nothing inherently wrong with what you've got there: A hinge, a unilateral lunge pattern, a squat pattern. I'm not sure the good girl/bad girl machine adds anything though. You might want to incorporate some calf work, for instance, if aesthetics are on the table. You may want to include some additional volume work for any part you may feel is "lagging", too. It all depends upon your individual needs, wants and weaknesses.

You really need to think about how you're going to progress those weights though. Unlike bar lifts, dumbbells tend to jump at set intervals and often require a more thoughtful approach to progressing them (i.e. add reps each session until you hit some kind of upper bound -say 15 reps - and then go up a dumbbell and drop the reps back to some lower bound - say 8 reps - and rinse and repeat.)

Edited to add: you may want to rotate the main lift the next session: so start with a heavier/more challenging squat variant, then move to a lighter/volume deadlift variant and then finish up with a different unilateral leg movement. Also: these hardly "any barbells at all", if you've got a loadable barbell, I strongly urge you to learn to clean it. Then you can also have power cleans for your hip hinge in your toolbox, front squats for your heavy squat movement, even front rack reverse lunges/step ups/bulgarians.

Thanks so much for the advice.
    Those are my max weights for now based on 1 month of this program. I just stopped Crossfit (lots of barbell work) due to scheduling, so I'm trying to make it work at the gym.
    There are no REAL barbells... only a Smith machine and some rubber-type bars that only go up to 30 lbs :( I think I may have to try to find another gym. This one is super convenient (it's at my work) and cheap, but it's mainly geared towards cardio machines.
    Good thoughts on progressing. My concern is that my grip strength is awful, and that is what's going to limit me on the deadlifts before anything else. But I'm hoping my grip will improve as I try to progress.
  • deluxmary2000
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    How about considering, bulgarian Squats, straight leg dead lifts, parallel squats, stiff leg dead lifts, alternating lunges, step up reverse lunges or instead of lunges do leg curls, leg extensions.

Why do legs more than twice a week? Why not split upper body into three days like back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders or something like this.

I will look into those (not sure what they all are) - thanks!
    And honestly - I haven't split upper body because I feel like I don't know a large enough variety of exercises that I could target only 2 muscle groups per day. And I read a BB.com article that said beginners were better off targeting more of a full-body routine than individual splits. Does that make sense?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Leg press

don't tell the russians that!!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think it actually looks pretty good. I would probably add glute bridges or hip thrusts. You could drop the abductor/adductor if it makes you short on time. Single leg versions of both exercises can be challenging. Then you could move to elevated single leg. You can also add weight with a dumbbell since you don't have access to a barbell. I think Nick Tumminnello has a video showing how to add the dumbbell.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curl
    Sumo squat
    Lunges
    Box jumps

I train full body 3x a week and squat and train back on all three.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curl
    Sumo squat
    Lunges
    Box jumps

I train full body 3x a week and squat and train back on all three.

Like I said, my opinion.
  • cgvet37
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Leg press

Am I supposed to be concerned with what the Russians think?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    It's fine if you're just trying to maintain and keep what you got.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curl
    Sumo squat
    Lunges
    Box jumps

I hit my muscle groups 3x weekly. It's fine. My opinion is that too many major in the minors and embrace mediocrity.

OP - don't write you're own programming. Figure out your goals, find a program that will help you get there, and use a properly equipped gym. 40# RDLs are going to do nothing for you.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Leg press

Am I supposed to be concerned with what the Russians think?

#Smolov

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curl
    Sumo squat
    Lunges
    Box jumps

Definitely leg press, sumo (or pliet) squat and lunges!

For the leg press, do three variations - regular foot positioning, both feet together at the top to target hams and glutes, and then position yourself sideways on the machine - one leg at a time to get the outer glutes
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curl
    Sumo squat
    Lunges
    Box jumps

I hit my muscle groups 3x weekly. It's fine. My opinion is that too many major in the minors and embrace mediocrity.

OP - don't write you're own programming. Figure out your goals, find a program that will help you get there, and use a properly equipped gym. 40# RDLs are going to do nothing for you.

Agree, agree and agree. Power rack and barbells are crucial.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curl
    Sumo squat
    Lunges
    Box jumps

You mean 80# RDLs right? 2x40# unless my maths is broken....

... and plus, don't be one of those "you should be lifting X#" people. She says this is currently her max weights and she's looking to steadily increase them.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lifting without a barbell or rack is fine.

There are tons of variations of so many different exercises. It doesn't make sense to say that she has to have a barbell. She could do single leg RDLs with one dumbbell or two dumbbells as she progresses. Don't be small-minded.

OP, does your gym only have 20 and 40 lb dumbbells or are those just the ones you've chosen to use right now?
  • jimmmer
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Lifting without a barbell or rack is fine.

There are tons of variations of so many different exercises. It doesn't make sense to say that she has to have a barbell. She could do single leg RDLs with one dumbbell or two dumbbells as she progresses. Don't be small-minded.

OP, does your gym only have 20 and 40 lb dumbbells or are those just the ones you've chosen to use right now?

Amen!

It's possible to great results from all kinds of training tools. Orthodoxy on these forums would have you believe that if it doesn't have 5x5 on the tin and include a barbell - it can't possible be any good.

Sure it's less straight-forward to make progress without such an easily incrementally loadable tool as a barbell, but it also forces you eventually to pursue unilateral training to keep progressing and to derive great benefit from it.

• deluxmary2000
    Options
    Correct, deadlifts are currently 80#. I can and will go up a little but will quickly max out grip strength.
    There are all size of dumbbells - those just happen to be where I'm at now.
    And I don't understand what's so bad about making your own program if the fundamentals are there (which is what I'm asking). It's hard to find a one-size-fits-all program that will cater to the equipment I have available, andd other limitations. For instance, I have a lot of trouble keeping my balance doing lunges so I do step-ups instead.
    Thanks again to everyone for your advice! I'm going to look into some of the other exercises that were mentioned, and will also try out the leg press.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Correct, deadlifts are currently 80#. I can and will go up a little but will quickly max out grip strength.
    There are all size of dumbbells - those just happen to be where I'm at now.
    And I don't understand what's so bad about making your own program if the fundamentals are there (which is what I'm asking). It's hard to find a one-size-fits-all program that will cater to the equipment I have available, andd other limitations. For instance, I have a lot of trouble keeping my balance doing lunges so I do step-ups instead.
    Thanks again to everyone for your advice! I'm going to look into some of the other exercises that were mentioned, and will also try out the leg press.

I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with making your own program provided one has the knowledge to put one together...I don't know what your background is really, so I can't comment. But often times I see people writing their own programs and they tend to skip certain things that they just don't like...left to my own devices, I'd never do step ups or box jumps...but if I skip them, my trainer will give me the stink eye from across the gym regardless of whether I'm training with him or not that day...he knows what I'm supposed to be working.

Beyond that, I see a lot of people get into trouble with muscle imbalances due to certain preferences, etc...in my observations, it seems like a lot of people shy away from working their posterior chain in general and then they just look kind of goofy with this big chest that's pulling everything forward because they have no back.

Just make sure you're hitting everything.