Chocolate Cravings?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
I am horrible when it comes to chocolate, and I know I am not the only one. I'm home from college this summer and it's actually easier for me to be healthy when I am up at school compared to being home. At school I have a granola bar as a dessert each night, and one night a week I get frozen yogurt, and another night I get a smoothie. At home, however, my mom buys so much junk food! Normally I can resist, but sometimes I give in when it comes to chocolate.

For example, night before last she had leftover brownies she had to make for work, so I had two, and last night she had leftover cookie cake from a party, so I had a slice. And then today my friend gave me a Coconut Twix bar.

How do you resist chocolate cravings? And if you can't, what's a "healthy" option?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    try in moderation, it's very hard to do that when you are home because of mom's cooking. Instead of having two brownies, have half of one, a small sliver of cake, etc. As for friends, just say thank you for the candy bar but I am trying to eat healthier.
  • wishing_well
    Options
    I'm a chocolate lover, too. Don't deprive yourself completely, allow yourself a treat or reward every so often! Skinny Cow ice cream treats are great! Lower calorie than normal ice creams, and there are a lot of options. Also Healthy Choice premium fudge bars are 100 calories and taste amazing! Very chocolate-y. :)
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    If you are working out then try chocolate protein bars or shakes
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i don't resist them *S*
    every night i have a few little square of the best quality dark chocolate... (my fave is not even an expensive one, the brand is Green & Black organic dark chocolate)
    i take tiny nibbles and let each nibble melt n my tongue, filling my mouth with the rich slightly sweet flavour i love.

all that pleasure (and i can make those nibbles last a good 15 minutes *L*... for just 55 calories, 3g fat and 2 mg sodium? oh yeah.. works in perfectly *S*
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I am horrible when it comes to chocolate, and I know I am not the only one. I'm home from college this summer and it's actually easier for me to be healthy when I am up at school compared to being home. At school I have a granola bar as a dessert each night, and one night a week I get frozen yogurt, and another night I get a smoothie. At home, however, my mom buys so much junk food! Normally I can resist, but sometimes I give in when it comes to chocolate.

For example, night before last she had leftover brownies she had to make for work, so I had two, and last night she had leftover cookie cake from a party, so I had a slice. And then today my friend gave me a Coconut Twix bar.

How do you resist chocolate cravings? And if you can't, what's a "healthy" option?

Thanks! :)

I don't resist. I work them in to my day and have chocolate as my evening snack. I prefer dark chocolate over milk chocolate... so at least it's healthier. :) I recently did an experiment last week to see what would get me off a 6 week plateau. It was adding chocolate to my day and I lost 2.4 lbs in one week. Don't write off chocolate just yet... but practice portion control!

Edit to add link to my chocolate experiment: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/plateau-vs-chocolate-who-won-116497
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I really like the nature valley oats n dark chocolate granola bars. I eat them for either a snack or for breakfast if I am running late. The chocolate tastes really yummy and it is 190 cal/8 g fat/3g dietary fiber/4g protein for the 2 bars in the package. It isn't super healthy, but it is a better option for me.

Ooh, and skinny cow is good tasting too, for more of a desert chocolate
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    4 words: No Pudge Fudge Brownies!!! They're fat free and DELICIOUS!!!
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    Options
    Either high quality chocolate, SAVORED, or I also like Vitamuffins and Vitabrownies - they have 100 calories each and are pretty tasty. They're not that easy to find, but luckily more grocery stores are carrying them. You heat them in the microwave or toaster, so they are warm and delicious.

Whichever, ENJOY it and don't deprive yourself - if you're like me, you'll just binge later! :P
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to make the investment, instead of eating the food in your mom's kitchen, you can buy a bar of nice, high-quality dark chocolate and eat one square (i.e. 1/4 of a serving) as your dessert per day. It will satisfy your craving while being lower in calories than baked goods (probably about 50 depending on the brand) and high in antioxidants. Since it's borderline expensive, you hopefully will want to ration it and therefore won't eat more than you intend to. Hope this helps!
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I keep a tin of Godiva Dark Chocolate Pearls.. Love them and I just try to savor each one.
  • nelli20
    nelli20 Posts: 7
    Options
    It might seem strange but I snack on cocoa puffs, put a cup in a bowl or get a bag of chocolate morsels and preportion them out.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate almond milk.:drinker:
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Have your mom buy you some Fiber One Chocolate bars. They are delicious, nutritious and will help with the chocolate craving. Also, try putting the brownies in container that you can't see thru or better yet, ask your mom to do it, so that you're not tempted to eat them. This way, out of sight, out of mind.
  • catie224
    catie224 Posts: 50
    Options
    Try SEES lollipops!! They're absolutely amazing. The normal size are around 90 calories, but the minis are only 15 calories a piece. By the time they dissolve, the craving will likely have passed.

Here's a link:
    http://www.sees.com/prod.cfm/pops_and_candies/Little_Pops
  • ljsmamma07
    ljsmamma07 Posts: 30
    Options
    i will actually grab a small handful of mini chocolate chips. sometimes it helps, sometimes i need a few more handfuls. lol. but i just try to stay away from it in general. take you water and go for a walk and tell your mom to hide it or give it to the neighbors while you are gone or something.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options

magnesium citrate, about 800 mg a day. I am a chocoholic, to be sure, but magnesium tames my "MUST HAVE!" into "Meh."
    And it's no wonder. Chocolate is rich in magnesium among other things. So either your body is either after magnesium or sugar. See if taking some magnesium citrate for a few weeks helps at all.
  • enlarsh
    enlarsh Posts: 67
    Options
    I LOVE chocolate. I have found that I like Jello Sugar-free Fat Free chocolate pudding: 1/2 cup is less than 100 cal. Also, you can find lots of ice cream bars that are low cal--just keep an eye out for High Fructose Corn syrup in the ingredients b/c that will sabotage your efforts no matter how few calories are in them!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Isn't the real purpose of losing weight and getting healthy, to gain control of our lives and the food we eat? Given that viewpoint, why can't you eat chocolate... IN MODERATION. Pick your fav treat, measure and weigh it out, log it in your food calorie and eat it slowly. Enjoy every molecule of chocolatey goodness. If you deprive yourself, you'[re going to go on a binge. If you allow yourself measured treats, you won't feel like you're missing anything, and won't go off your daily caloric plan.
  • Viewparadise
    Options
    I LOVE the ideas here!! One more for ya, M%M's pretzel variety are 150 cals for a bag (the size they have at the check-out aisle) and I have found that if you suck on them, don't eat, but let them melt in your mouth, a little bag can last long enough to deal with a craving and be pretty satisfactory. And you get the nice salty crunch in the middle.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    this might sound sucky, but the only way I can resist chocolate (and sweets like cookies, cake, etc) is by throwing them away or ruining them in some way. I know it's a waste, but i have literally put soapy water on brownies so there would be NO way I would want to eat them. If I'm in a situation where I'm the only one who really doesn't want to be eating that stuff, I make the other people hide it. I'm living at home until my lease starts in september, and my sister made red velvet brownies. I ate a piece of one, and then made my mom hide them and told her I'd throw them away if i found them (I haven't found them, but I haven't looked).

I absolutely love chocolate. Sometimes, it's okay to eat a little bit every now and then, but I really just try to avoid it all together. You could ask your mom to hide the stuff after she makes it so you're not tempted?

Alternatives-
    Chocolate version of 100 calorie packs
    Trader Joe's 100 calorie chocolate bars
    Dark chocolate [covered cherries]
    Emerald Nuts Cocoa Roast Almonds (100 calorie packs)- THESE are delicious and taste like oreos to me! Highly recommend.
    Goldfish Chocolate Grahams (very good as well 50 pieces have 130 calories)
    Chocolate Teddy Grahams (same as goldfish but 25-30 pieces have 130)
    Chocolate fiber one bars
    Chocolate nature valley bars
    Bear Naked Chocolate Granola (REALLY good, forget the serving size (3/4 cup?) , but it's 120 calories)
    Jello Sugar Free DARK chocolate pudding is SO good
    Jello Sugar Free Chocolate and Vanilla swirl pudding
    Jello Mousse Temptations
    Werther's Chocolate Caramels (35 calories a piece)

lol I have a big list...... i'll stop.

I go for the chocolate goldfish over the teddy grahams bc i'd rather have 50 than 25-30, but I think it's the same weight, but the teddy grahams are bigger.

ALSO- i have rationed out a hershey's chocolate bar before. i would eat 2 pieces every day (54ish calories)