Whichis better

Options
Looking for some guidance in creating a home gym space. I have a bad knee and hip. I already have a stationery bike, and I'd like to add either a treadmill or a rowing machine. Appreciate the input!

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine will be much softer impact on your joints, so I'd recommend that out of the two. I'd be pretty cautious using a rower though as obviously you are consistently bending your knee which may flair up your current issue but it will certainly be beneficial for recovery/strengthening the knee if you go about it properly.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Both are primarily for cardio endurance and so is the bike - so, what are you hoping to achieve by adding another piece of cardio equipment?

In your situation (assuming that you MUST fill the space and spend the money), I'd add equipment which meant that I could perform some strength training to complement the existing cardio training I was getting from the bike. But, if you are determined that it must be either a rower or treadmill, I'd agree with @JoshuaMcAllister and go for the rower.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Rower for bad knees?
    Isn't it actually bad for the knees?

Asking because I'm currently recovering from a knee injury (still fresh - 10 days), and I've got a rower at home, but I do not think of using it for at least 1-2 months until I strengthen my knee.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yivs_87 wrote: »
    Rower for bad knees?
    Isn't it actually bad for the knees?

Asking because I'm currently recovering from a knee injury (still fresh - 10 days), and I've got a rower at home, but I do not think of using it for at least 1-2 months until I strengthen my knee.

A knee injury is a little different from a bad knee.
    An injury needs to repair and a bad knee needs to strengthen.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    sunsqueak wrote: »
    Looking for some guidance in creating a home gym space. I have a bad knee and hip. I already have a stationery bike, and I'd like to add either a treadmill or a rowing machine. Appreciate the input!

Each person is different - what works for some might not work for others. Try getting a day pass to a local gym and trying both out. Use the elliptical machine too while you're there - that can sometimes be better than the other 2.
    From a functional perspective, walking/running is more useful. :+1:
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a rowing machine. Uses you upper body some too...roughly 75% lower body, 25% upper body is what I've read.

And I'm one of those problem knee people.

Also, as long as the weather is decent you can always walk/run outside. Most of us don't have a body of water and a row boat out the back door, but sidewalks and parks are fairly common.
  • sunsqueak
    sunsqueak Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm hoping to achieve some additional strength training by adding a machine. I typically have 'me' time to devote to working out in the late evening - which is why I'm focusing on adding to the home gym. Appreciate the input!
  • gordonfitlog
    gordonfitlog Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a bench and some free weights? A bench and a couple of dumbbells is a great start. Sooo many exersices become available. Just 2 handbars and some plates to start. Easy to add on to as you progress. You dont need to go heavy if you are not building.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Get the rower, then get a barbell and 160kg in assorted weights.