Re-occuring Tonsil Stones are making me feel tired and weak

Options
I had this issue last night. For a few days now i've been feeling weak with the chills now and then. I still went to the gym yesterday. I am wondering if i should still go to the gym, even though my tonsils feel a bit swollen, and I feel weak and tired a bit. Usually, I feel worse, but today isn't as bad, i just don't know if working out will make it worse or not?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Tonslliloliths or chronic cryptic tonsillitis can be aggravated by an increase in activity. I highly suggest having your tonsils removed. The tonsil stones will continue to get worse over time, causing your tonsils to get larger. This impacts breathing (especially at night) and can cause infections.
  • Melissapaige1
    Melissapaige1 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. I ended up not going to the gym, and having a 4 hour nap during the day, which i never do. This morning I woke up and pushed myself to get to the gym. I came back feeling refreshed, yet still feel post nasal drip going into the tonsil. I guess I need to bite the bullet, and just get them taken out, as you have suggested, doctors have also recommended that i have them removed. Thank you.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Have them removed. Gives you an excuse to use all your daily calories on ice cream :wink:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Tonslliloliths or chronic cryptic tonsillitis can be aggravated by an increase in activity. I highly suggest having your tonsils removed. The tonsil stones will continue to get worse over time, causing your tonsils to get larger. This impacts breathing (especially at night) and can cause infections.

DO THIS. You'll hear every homeopathic lunatic out there recommend you keep them because reasons, but I will seriously never forgive my mother for not letting the doctor cut these stupid things out when I was young. They've been nothing but trouble and it NEVER goes away. Now I don't have the money. It would have been dam near free when I was 12. Thank Chuck her anti-western-medicine kick ended before my sister's went bad. Lucky kid.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. I ended up not going to the gym, and having a 4 hour nap during the day, which i never do. This morning I woke up and pushed myself to get to the gym. I came back feeling refreshed, yet still feel post nasal drip going into the tonsil. I guess I need to bite the bullet, and just get them taken out, as you have suggested, doctors have also recommended that i have them removed. Thank you.

I had to suffer through it for a few years before the doctor finally took mine out. I couldn't sleep at night with them in and I was always run down. After getting them out my quality of life improved dramatically!
  • Melissapaige1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Aww, im so sorry to hear this. Health care should be a right, not a privilege. Im thankful its our right where i live. I am just so scared to be put under. I have never had surgery that i can recall. The last time i had surgery was when i was very small, and the doctors took my adniods out. Im annoyed too, that they didnt remove my tonsils as well. They are both connected after all.
  • Melissapaige1
    Options
    i just got back from the gym, and im starting to feel tired again and i can feel something in my tonsil. geez this is annoying, especially the tiredness and weakness that comes along with it.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Being put under is just like sleeping. You'll think you just took a nap. I'm having surgery on my mouth in a few months and they want to put me in a conscious sedation. I'd rather be put under but I understand the issues with it.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Ha. At least your doctor has heard of them. When I mentioned having tonsil stones to mine, she said she had never heard of them before. Just last night, my son was being checked for a sore throat and a very swollen right tonsil(white spots all over that I thought might be tonsil stones) and my son asked about tonsil stones and the nurse had never heard of them either.
  • Melissapaige1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ptsmiles wrote: »
    Ha. At least your doctor has heard of them. When I mentioned having tonsil stones to mine, she said she had never heard of them before. Just last night, my son was being checked for a sore throat and a very swollen right tonsil(white spots all over that I thought might be tonsil stones) and my son asked about tonsil stones and the nurse had never heard of them either.

Oh my! Time to get a new doctor/nurse! Sounds like they got their schooling from a cereal box. That drives me mad when i hear things like that. I know it really makes me mad when they ask "Do you have a sore throat?" "Maybe it's strep throat?" It is not at all a soar throat for me, it is just tonsil stones, that make my tonsils swell up, and cause me chills, and fatigue. Some people do get soar throat with it. Also, it's my TONSIL not my throat Dr. lol. Geez. Yes, that is definitaly tonsil stones! Nothing more nothing less.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I used to have tonsil stones for 3 years, it got so bad that I had to figure out what it was from. Turns out it was due to the amount of calcium i was consuming. I was drinking about 9 glasses of milk every day!!!!!!!!! I stopped drinking so much milk and my tonsil stones have gone away. Our cases seem different though...
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Oh my! Time to get a new doctor/nurse! Sounds like they got their schooling from a cereal box. That drives me mad when i hear things like that. I know it really makes me mad when they ask "Do you have a sore throat?" "Maybe it's strep throat?" It is not at all a soar throat for me, it is just tonsil stones, that make my tonsils swell up, and cause me chills, and fatigue. Some people do get soar throat with it. Also, it's my TONSIL not my throat Dr. lol. Geez. Yes, that is definitaly tonsil stones! Nothing more nothing less.

I think a lot of that misinformation or lack of information comes from the fact that most doctors who see adults never see them WITH tonsils. They take them out so frequently in childhood when they're messed up that problems with them aren't usually seen in adults (cause if they were gonna have problems, they typically did so and got cut out ages ago). If they never have to deal with it it's not surprising they don't know anything about it.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Perhaps there is an infection, I never had symptoms of my tonsil stones until I got an infection and had them removed. I had many huge awful stones, doctors always joked my tonsils looked like raw hamburger because they were never normal and had a bunch of holes and stuff. I'd see a doctor if I were you.
  • Melissapaige1
    Options
    Ha. At least your doctor has heard of them. When I mentioned having tonsil stones to mine, she said she had never heard of them before. Just last night, my son was being checked for a sore throat and a very swollen right tonsil(white spots all over that I thought might be tonsil stones) and my son asked about tonsil stones and the nurse had never heard of them either.[/quot]

I think a lot of that misinformation or lack of information comes from the fact that most doctors who see adults never see them WITH tonsils. They take them out so frequently in childhood when they're messed up that problems with them aren't usually seen in adults (cause if they were gonna have problems, they typically did so and got cut out ages ago). If they never have to deal with it it's not surprising they don't know anything about it.

The doctors should know what tonsil stones are. It's fairly common among adults, and isn't the reason why they take them out at a young age is to avoid having tonsil stones as an adult? Sorry, im not trying to debate this with you, im concerned that a health care provider should fully be aware of what tonsil stones are.
  • Melissapaige1
    Options
    I used to have tonsil stones for 3 years, it got so bad that I had to figure out what it was from. Turns out it was due to the amount of calcium i was consuming. I was drinking about 9 glasses of milk every day!!!!!!!!! I stopped drinking so much milk and my tonsil stones have gone away. Our cases seem different though...

Thank you. Yes, I have heard that before. I don't consume a lot of dairy though. I rarely drink milk.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ...... It would have been dam near free when I was 12. Thank Chuck her anti-western-medicine kick ended before my sister's went bad. Lucky kid.

Is that Chuck Norris ?
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I had tonsilitis several times a year, with tonsil stones (ugh!!) until I finally had them out in my 20s. Now it's not nearly so debilitating to have a cold - I used to be so miserable, couldn't breathe, couldn't sleep. Now it's just 4-5 days of feeling lethargic instead of insane pain and swelling in my throat.

I will say the recovery was NOT a snap. I lost my voice for almost 2 weeks. Meanwhile, a little girl who had the surgery the same time as me was jumping around immediately afterwards like she just woke up from a nap. As an adult, your tonsils are much bigger and so the recovery will take longer. Still, totally worth it. SO worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    ...... It would have been dam near free when I was 12. Thank Chuck her anti-western-medicine kick ended before my sister's went bad. Lucky kid.

Is that Chuck Norris ?

I hope its chuck from supernatural.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Same here- Sadly, my doctor informs me that now that I have insurance and can afford it, it's far too risky to have them removed. I get to live with it. Fortunately, great nutrition and improved fitness means I'm having far fewer problems.

As to your original question- If you aren't feeling well, don't work out. It's an infection and your body is fighting it. Give yourself a couple days to recover.
  • Melissapaige1
    Options
    Same here- Sadly, my doctor informs me that now that I have insurance and can afford it, it's far too risky to have them removed. I get to live with it. Fortunately, great nutrition and improved fitness means I'm having far fewer problems.

As to your original question- If you aren't feeling well, don't work out. It's an infection and your body is fighting it. Give yourself a couple days to recover.

The doctors told me to get them out, even though it's a bit risky. I am in my early 30's. I hope it's still ok for me to get them out?

On a side note, I am feeling a bit cold then very warm. I did 1 hour of cardio first thing this morning. I don't have much of an appitite, and my body is tired. I feel guilty for not doing anything today. I have energy, just not the same energy as i would not having this issue for the last few days. Should i just take another nap today?