Thinner Leaner Stronger - Mike Matthews

Options
Has anyone read the Thinner Leaner Stronger book by Mike Matthews, Muscle for Life? I've just started to follow his 5 day a week training plan and really liking the format!

Replies

• saraheve42
    saraheve42 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read his book in December and started the 'year one challenge' workout journal 4 weeks ago. I love it! I'm also tracking macros and am following his recommendations. I'm also hooked to the muscle for life podcasts that he does. The science behind lifting and food fascinates me. Are you still following the thinner, leaner, stronger workouts?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes. The carbs and protein were too high for me, so I went back to the Rosedale diet which has worked the best for me.
  • Hannah220190
    Hannah220190 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    saraheve42 wrote: »
    I read his book in December and started the 'year one challenge' workout journal 4 weeks ago. I love it! I'm also tracking macros and am following his recommendations. I'm also hooked to the muscle for life podcasts that he does. The science behind lifting and food fascinates me. Are you still following the thinner, leaner, stronger workouts?

I've developed my own workouts using his as a guide! Feeling like his work, agreed pod casts are fab too!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Excellent program based on common sense and science. I have made great strides in the last 6 months on it. Lost 30 pounds with about 35 being fat and added about 5 pounds of muscle. My fiancé and I are both doing it.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Reading New Rules for Lifting and will start their routines when I finish. Library didn't have NRFL for women. Hard to wait--read faster! Love weights!!
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    AWESOME, I'm totally going to check out the podcasts!
  • nakis623
    nakis623 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Reading New Rules for Lifting and will start their routines when I finish. Library didn't have NRFL for women. Hard to wait--read faster! Love weights!!
    I read New Rules For Women Lifting last Month, and I am about a month into the Program ( Week 4).
    A lot of these programs are very similar or overlap one another.
  • nakis623
    nakis623 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I've developed my own workouts using his as a guide! Feeling like his work, agreed pod casts are fab too!
    After seeing this post, I bought M.M book for my son's kindle fire, so I can read it.
  • CasperNaegle
    Options

What does your workout look like?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I read the men's version... Bigger, Leaner, Strong I believe is the title. He basically centers his approach on nutrient/calorie timing. You'll get a lot of mixed review on that idea, mostly because no one knows or provides enough context to have a meaningful conversation about it. Ultimately, IMO, nutrient timing has it's place, but it's relatively insignificant compared to other factors. But if you've got the basics down and want to hone in you efforts for more optimal progress/results, I think nutrient timing becomes a valid next step.
  • CasperNaegle
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I read the men's version... Bigger, Leaner, Strong I believe is the title. He basically centers his approach on nutrient/calorie timing. You'll get a lot of mixed review on that idea, mostly because no one knows or provides enough context to have a meaningful conversation about it. Ultimately, IMO, nutrient timing has it's place, but it's relatively insignificant compared to other factors. But if you've got the basics down and want to hone in you efforts for more optimal progress/results, I think nutrient timing becomes a valid next step.

I honestly didn't take from him that timing was all that important. Maybe I didn't read it properly, but more just the used of tracking your macros, getting enough protein in a deficit, and the lifting and how to do that to make a difference. Yes I read the Men's version and my fiancé is using the women's, but they are very similar.
  • lassisar
    lassisar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started thinner leaner stronger. I am having a hard time getting enough protein in while keeping the overall calories down other than more protein powder any suggestions?
  • Hannah220190
    Hannah220190 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You
    lassisar wrote: »
    I just started thinner leaner stronger. I am having a hard time getting enough protein in while keeping the overall calories down other than more protein powder any suggestions?

you don't need to worry about protein, trust me just aim for 1g per pound of body weight