exercising but no movement on scale...anyone else

Options
gpies
gpies Posts: 56 Member
Hi all - I lost about 20 lbs via weight watchers 9 years ago and have kept it off since then - even after 2 more children (5 all together). I have recently seen the scale creep up just a few lbs 3-4, but enough to have me concerned. Ever since I had gone to WW, I consider my eating habits to be positive with treats here and there. I have been exercising 4-5 days/wk. for the past few months. Anywhere from 330-500 cals burned. Running is most of my routine with bike riding and videos in between. I have not seen one lb come off the scale. I do not have a large amount of weight to come off - I am only 5 ft however so am looking to be at 115(ish). I am at about 121. Is it really possible that this is muscle developing - or am I really doing something wrong.

Meals typically go as follows: Bfast - oatmeal with blueberries/strawberries, lunch = salad. Snack = greek yogurt and/or dark chocolate piece/ Dinner = veggies, rice (or a starch), chicken, fish, or something such as pork or tips (pasta 1x a week or so).
sigh... has anyone seen success without much movement on the scale? Please say yes!! and I'd love to hear what that success has been - thank you :smile:

Replies

• jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    YES. and it can be frustrating! sometimes you have to go by the mirror/how your clothes are fitting. this is why i have had my scale hidden recently lol

good luck!
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm stuck at 121 as well and am trying to get to 115! Try zig zagging your calories :)
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I could punch the scale. Or cuss it. Or throw it out the window. Instead, I put on my clothes, note the bagginess and thumb my nose at the worthless P.O.S.

Numbers aren't everything. :-D
  • LaneDraven
    LaneDraven Posts: 13
    Options
    Have you tried measuring yourself? You might be able to detect changes in your waist, hips and thighs that way!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    This is part of why I have a goal size as well as weight. Im tempted to toss my scale once I get there (or atleast hide it at a friends house) so I dont obsess unless my clothes get tight
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    make sure you are taking your measurement. I started my journey in March of 2010 and by Oct I had lost 50 lbs but I have been stuck since Nov of 2010. fluctuating between two numbers. I took my measurements in March of 2011 and again in May of 2011, I had lost 12 inches total over my body!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked!!!!!!! but the scale never did budge. So make sure and take your measurements. The numbers on the scale aren't everything! :) Good luck!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm at a 113-115 range right now (working towards 110 from 120), and I look and feel better than I did when I spent a year around this weight range a couple of years ago, because of the consistent exercise I get now. I'm trimmer and more toned, but the same weight as I was back then when I felt fatter.
    My routine is different, though, which is what makes the difference in how I look feel at the same weight.

Since your routine is the same, maybe it has something to do with your age difference? I hear that the body goes through many changes as we go through different age ranges -- maybe weight is one of those things?

The main question is whether or not you are happy with how you look and feel! Don't focus too much on the numbers :)
  • stephferg
    stephferg Posts: 4
    Options
    I always go through standstills. If anyone tells me there is a science to losing weight, I never believe. For three weeks I have lost nothing, and I have been working out so hard, I feel like I am going to black out, then all of a sudden this week, out of nowhere, I lost 3 pounds over night. I don't know how or why. Hoping this sight will help, because I can really track eating and exercise, maybe I will be able to tell then.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same height and weight range as you, similar activity/exercise level and age, and if you are not losing, then it is your diet. Without seeing your diary, it's really hard to help you. I've seen a ton of people who say they are doing things right, and then you look at their diaries and it couldn't be further from the truth. And you said typical so that means there are probably days where you don't follow that plan, and when you are short, deviations from a healthy plan will mess things up and have a much larger impact than on larger people. For me, I lose great if I aim for 1100 calories a day base, maybe a little more when I run, protein at each meal, lots of veggies, moderate amounts of fruit, and very limited products with refined white flours and/or sugars (about .5-1 pounds/week). If I eat out more than once a week it will stop me from losing weight that week, and I'll maintain. Just looking at your typical diet, I wonder if you are getting enough protein? A personal trainer told me that as we get older, we need to shift to higher protein, lower carb consumption, which really fits for me, so you may want to look at that.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yes this happen to me also; plus i use to go to weight watchers. I think u might not be getting enough calories in; and yu are building muscle. try to up some calories so u have more to burn when exercising. hope this works.:smile:
  • gpies
    gpies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input. I will have to take a good hard look at what I am doing/eating - maybe more than I have been "thinking" I'm doing and see what I can notice and improve upon. I appreciate the feedback. Keep you posted...:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!