Macros

Options
I really need help setting my macros. I've read so many different things that I just don't know what to do. I've had them at 45% carbs 20% fat 35% protien for over a month and my weight hasn't moved. I am 5"1' 121lbs and I've had my calories anywhere from 1100 to 1250. When they are at 1250, I can still meet my macros, but I have a hard time meeting the calories. I lift weights 5 times a week for 35-45 minutes, and do vinyasa/ashtanga yoga 5 times a week as well. I teach yoga 2 times a week.

So, with all that info, my goal is to lose fat and gain muscle. Help!!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Very Low fat diet. Hmm. Protein is at the upper end so I would be tempted to swap 10% from carbs to fat and it's still low fat.

If no change after 2 weeks then eat less.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your weight isn't moving, it's because of the calories you're eating -- not because your macros aren't set right. Have you tried just going with the default macros and MFP's suggested calories (with a reasonable goal like .5 a week since you don't have much to lose)?

• dannapearsall
    dannapearsall Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If your weight isn't moving, it's because of the calories you're eating -- not because your macros aren't set right. Have you tried just going with the default macros and MFP's suggested calories (with a reasonable goal like .5 a week since you don't have much to lose)?

So, what do you suggest for calories? Everyone seems super opposed to eating fewer than 1200 calories a day, so what should I do?
  • vitty1
    vitty1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    First off,

If you are "lifting" 45 minutes 5 times a week plus yoga (nevermind everything else in between), you are not eating enough calories.

I was in the same position as you were, and was eating 1200 calories a day and spinning my wheels for nothing. My body held onto everything because it didn't know when it was going to eat again (causing water retention, delay in muscle growth, etc). Upped my calories to 1577 a day and am lifting heavier than I ever have and muscle is building and weight is dropping slowly (fat mass). I know its the hardest thing to wrap your mind around, upping calories (especially someone like me who is terrified on gaining weight), but it works wonders when you actually feed your body what it needs in order to grow. To grow muscle you need nutrient dense foods and lots of it, your muscles will not grow on 1200 calories a day.

I recommend first buying a HR Monitor (Charge HR) to see your true calorie burn, measure everything you eat and lastly lift as heavy as possible...and invest in this book Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews, gives you a step by step on everything and is my "Bible".

good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

So, what do you suggest for calories? Everyone seems super opposed to eating fewer than 1200 calories a day, so what should I do?

If you are currently logging 1200 and not losing...chances are you are eating more than you think.

Do you use a food scale and log accurately and consistently?
  • dannapearsall
    Options
    vitty1 wrote: »
    First off,

If you are "lifting" 45 minutes 5 times a week plus yoga (nevermind everything else in between), you are not eating enough calories.

I was in the same position as you were, and was eating 1200 calories a day and spinning my wheels for nothing. My body held onto everything because it didn't know when it was going to eat again (causing water retention, delay in muscle growth, etc). Upped my calories to 1577 a day and am lifting heavier than I ever have and muscle is building and weight is dropping slowly (fat mass). I know its the hardest thing to wrap your mind around, upping calories (especially someone like me who is terrified on gaining weight), but it works wonders when you actually feed your body what it needs in order to grow. To grow muscle you need nutrient dense foods and lots of it, your muscles will not grow on 1200 calories a day.

I recommend first buying a HR Monitor (Charge HR) to see your true calorie burn, measure everything you eat and lastly lift as heavy as possible...and invest in this book Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews, gives you a step by step on everything and is my "Bible".

good luck!

I have read that book and am currently on the "year one" challenge I'm following his workouts 5 times a week.

Just curious, why "lifting" in quotations?
  • dannapearsall
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

If you are currently logging 1200 and not losing...chances are you are eating more than you think.

I do. To the gram.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    okay open your food diary please. using a food scale is great and helps a lot but choosing correct entries and logging consistently is as important.

I've seen people log 100 grams of chicken at 41 calories....
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Why not change your MFP goal to 0.5-1 pound loss per week and see what happens? Chances are you are not eating enough for your activity level.
  • dannapearsall
    Options
    I didn't know it was closed. Open now.
  • des0123
    des0123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Increase protein and lower carbs. Fat% should always be at 30% in my opinion. The more protein the more you burn fat and increase lean muscle
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I do. To the gram.

I see lots of "not grams" measurements just looking at the past week.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

no worries...and yes what I suspected is true.

You may use a food log but your diary doesn't reflect it. Choosing entries in grams etc is important to get a real value for the calories. When searching for entries to choose use USDA entries and choose those with measurments in grams and double check against USDA website.

For example

you have 328 grams of watermelon logged at 98 calories....that is a good entry

but the chicken breast roasted...is that skinless?
    with skin USDA says 167 calories with skin for 85grams (yours is in oz)
    no skin usda says 140

but then you have an entry for Grilled chicken 3 oz 98 calories...???

Most of your entries don't reflect a weight...most of pieces, cups etc.
    cathipa wrote: »
    Why not change your MFP goal to 0.5-1 pound loss per week and see what happens? Chances are you are not eating enough for your activity level.

and this is a good though too? What is your weekly weight loss goals?

• dannapearsall
    Options

I do. To the gram.

Okay, I just don't understand how a couple of ounce measurements as poised to grams are going to cause me to plateau. I pick grams whenever possible, but sometimes MFP doesn't have that as an option. When I chose oz, I use decimals (3.2oz, for example) and any "cup" measurements are taken from scanning barcodes.

Also, how is a person supposed to know when MFP has accurate info and when it doesn't? For example the watermelon/chicken cited before - both were entered from MFP and one is accurate and one is not?

From what you guys seem to be saying, MFP is completely worthless and I have to look up each and every food item? Do you do that?
  • dannapearsall
    Options

You may use a food log but your diary doesn't reflect it. Choosing entries in grams etc is important to get a real value for the calories. When searching for entries to choose use USDA entries and choose those with measurments in grams and double check against USDA website.

For example

no skin usda says 140

Well, losing any fat at all would be great at this point. I'm petite, and already near my goal, so to lose even .5-1lb a week would technically put my daily calorie intake at way less than 1200 calories if we are looking at 3000 calories per pound of fat lost.
  • pcpop7
    Options

I do. To the gram.

Okay, I just don't understand how a couple of ounce measurements as poised to grams are going to cause me to plateau. I pick grams whenever possible, but sometimes MFP doesn't have that as an option. When I chose oz, I use decimals (3.2oz, for example) and any "cup" measurements are taken from scanning barcodes.

Also, how is a person supposed to know when MFP has accurate info and when it doesn't? For example the watermelon/chicken cited before - both were entered from MFP and one is accurate and one is not?

From what you guys seem to be saying, MFP is completely worthless and I have to look up each and every food item? Do you do that?

Well 3oz to 4oz Can be an almost 30% difference multiply that over all your measurements and kiss your deficit goodbye. As has been said pick the USDA entries in grams as users can enter any old entry they want.

Don't blame the tools for your inaccurate logging and you might see some results.

Good luck
  • dannapearsall
    Options

For example

no skin usda says 140

Yes, skinless chicken. It isn't like I'm trying to just arbitrarily make up calorie amounts, I'm using MFP for its intended purpose, which you've told me is basically a ludicrous notion. I type in foods and look for the most suitable match. Or I scan Barcodes.
  • dannapearsall
    Options

I do. To the gram.

Well 3oz to 4oz Can be an almost 30% difference multiply that over all your measurements and kiss your deficit goodbye. As has been said pick the USDA entries in grams as users can enter any old entry they want.

Don't blame the tools for your inaccurate logging and you might see some results.

Good luck
    Wow.
  • pcpop7
    Options

For example

no skin usda says 140

Yes, skinless chicken. It isn't like I'm trying to just arbitrarily make up calorie amounts, I'm using MFP for its intended purpose, which you've told me is basically a ludicrous notion. I type in foods and look for the most suitable match. Or I scan Barcodes.

For example

no skin usda says 140

I totally understand your frustration at what could be bad database entries but if you want accuracy your gonna have to take ownership of the data you enter in your diary and if you do it will all work out.
  • vitty1
    vitty1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Because "lifting" means many things to many people.

Some people use lighter weights and aren't using maximum energy throughout their workouts and leave the gym without any potential for gains. To me lifting, means lifting, exhaustion, pushing yourself.

Im glad you have read the book, its worked very well for me so far.