Wear gloves when lifting weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for over 1 year and I have small hands and I have no problems with callouses. I don't think anyone would think I lift weights based on my hands. Gripping the bar right and chalk will go a long way in reducing wear and tear on your hands.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I tried them, and threw them out. I didn't like the negative effect on my grip, especially during deadlift. I just file my calluses with a pumice stone once in awhile after my shower. I haven't had any issues.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    I also play a lot with kettlebells, mine are all cast iron....Snatching 36lbs of rough cast iron definitely requires gloves - nothing to do with grip there....

I haven't had a need for them doing the same said movement.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I used to when I first started, and I had some cool ones. Then I started to Spin 3 times a week and my wrists got really weak so I needed to wear wrist supports, and it got to be too much stuff to wear so I don't wear anything any longer !!!!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves for weightlifting. I don't find that my hands get very callused from weightlifting but they do from high volume gymnastics movements (pull-ups, muscle ups etc.). Daily hand maintenance is my savior. I use a ped egg to shave them flat and I make sure to keep them moisturized; between that combo I rarely have issues anymore.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    astrampe wrote: »
    I also play a lot with kettlebells, mine are all cast iron....Snatching 36lbs of rough cast iron definitely requires gloves - nothing to do with grip there....

I haven't had a need for them doing the same said movement.

Me, either.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I did. And I will once I return to weight lifting.

First couple of weeks I didn't and as my skin is quite sensitive I ended up with horrible painful calluses.
    I did go through 2-3 pairs of gloves until I found the "right one" - fit properly, was comfortable, gave me good feel of the bar, and was able to protect my palms.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do, I get callouses doing housework though and blister very easily! I have tried several pairs of gloves and have a favourite so if you do wear them bear that in mind, they can make a huge difference in your ability and comfort if they are not right. They also have slightly padded palms which for me makes push ups etc more comfortable. I am about the only one in my gym that does though!
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    No. What's better are wrist wraps for support, especially if you are using heavy weights and especially heavy dumbbells.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I don't, mainly because I'm proud of my calluses. It's your body adapting to the hard work you're putting in. You can use gloves if you'd like too, but they are known for putting uneven pressure across your hands which could mess with stability. Same as using a bar pad when squatting.