Options
2»

Replies

• dannapearsall
    dannapearsall Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I didn't know it was closed. Open now.

no worries...and yes what I suspected is true.

You may use a food log but your diary doesn't reflect it. Choosing entries in grams etc is important to get a real value for the calories. When searching for entries to choose use USDA entries and choose those with measurments in grams and double check against USDA website.

For example

you have 328 grams of watermelon logged at 98 calories....that is a good entry

but the chicken breast roasted...is that skinless?
    with skin USDA says 167 calories with skin for 85grams (yours is in oz)
    no skin usda says 140

but then you have an entry for Grilled chicken 3 oz 98 calories...???

Most of your entries don't reflect a weight...most of pieces, cups etc.
    cathipa wrote: »
    Why not change your MFP goal to 0.5-1 pound loss per week and see what happens? Chances are you are not eating enough for your activity level.

and this is a good though too? What is your weekly weight loss goals?

Yes, skinless chicken. It isn't like I'm trying to just arbitrarily make up calorie amounts, I'm using MFP for its intended purpose, which you've told me is basically a ludicrous notion. I type in foods and look for the most suitable match. Or I scan Barcodes.

You may use a food log but your diary doesn't reflect it. Choosing entries in grams etc is important to get a real value for the calories. When searching for entries to choose use USDA entries and choose those with measurments in grams and double check against USDA website.

For example

no skin usda says 140

Why not change your MFP goal to 0.5-1 pound loss per week and see what happens? Chances are you are not eating enough for your activity level.

Yes, skinless chicken. It isn't like I'm trying to just arbitrarily make up calorie amounts, I'm using MFP for its intended purpose, which you've told me is basically a ludicrous notion. I type in foods and look for the most suitable match. Or I scan Barcodes.

I totally understand your frustration at what could be bad database entries but if you want accuracy your gonna have to take ownership of the data you enter in your diary and if you do it will all work out.

Well, to berate and belittle someone for an obviously unintentional and ignorant error is not the way I would go about "helping", but to each his own.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You misunderstand if you think I berate or belittle you. I do berate the bad database entries though. You got to watch out for them. I've entered my fare share of bad ones
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

For example

no skin usda says 140

Yep, this is spot on. Measuring cups and pkg portion sizes (ie a slice of bread for example), can be way off. And those few extra calories here and there add up quick. Plus, if you're exercising and overestimating calories burned at all (which is super easy to do), you're going to quickly cancel out the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. Especially if you're already a lower weight/don't have a lot to lose-the wiggle room for error is very small.

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If your weight isn't moving, it's because of the calories you're eating -- not because your macros aren't set right. Have you tried just going with the default macros and MFP's suggested calories (with a reasonable goal like .5 a week since you don't have much to lose)?

So, what do you suggest for calories? Everyone seems super opposed to eating fewer than 1200 calories a day, so what should I do?

If you are currently logging 1200 and not losing...chances are you are eating more than you think.

Do you use a food scale and log accurately and consistently?

I do. To the gram.

I see lots of "not grams" measurements just looking at the past week.

Okay, I just don't understand how a couple of ounce measurements as poised to grams are going to cause me to plateau. I pick grams whenever possible, but sometimes MFP doesn't have that as an option. When I chose oz, I use decimals (3.2oz, for example) and any "cup" measurements are taken from scanning barcodes.

Also, how is a person supposed to know when MFP has accurate info and when it doesn't? For example the watermelon/chicken cited before - both were entered from MFP and one is accurate and one is not?

From what you guys seem to be saying, MFP is completely worthless and I have to look up each and every food item? Do you do that?

Ha yeah, you bring up a good point with MFP's food database. Personally, I've started tracking off line because I got very frustrated with all the database errors (entered in wrongly by other users). I really wish there wasn't an option for people to add things to the database but unfortunately this hasn't been changed yet. I love MFP, but I think this is its biggest downside.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It isn't like I'm trying to just arbitrarily make up calorie amounts, I'm using MFP for its intended purpose, which you've told me is basically a ludicrous notion. I type in foods and look for the most suitable match. Or I scan Barcodes.
    It's not ludicrous but it definitely is flawed.
    It's a user updated database which means you have entries that are completely rubbish through to those that are accurate.

Once you start to pick good entries they appear in your frequent or recent foods and you can re-use them with confidence and simply adjust the weight.

Priority for weight loss isn't macros - it's calories.
    Would suggest moving away from fixed macro percentages though - very restrictive for no good reason.
    I much prefer to regard protein and fat as minimums and let carbs fall wherever they fall within your calorie goal.

I like 1g protein/1lb of estimated lean mass and fat at 0.4g/1lb of bodyweight but you don't need to be obsessive about the numbers.

You don't have much weight to lose so try to stick with a slow rate of loss.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

For example

no skin usda says 140

not sure where I said or even indicated it was ludicrous notion.

Most suitable match is the USDA entry or you create your own as MFP intended. YOu can edit entries to reflect the facts etc.

Scanning barcodes doesnt always cut it either...I've done that and the scan came up with a totally different food...not just a different brand or weight or serving size a totally different food.

If you look at my log you see I log what I eat in grams...if it's skinless chicken breast roasted that is what is logged...

perhaps this post will help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your weight isn't moving, it's because of the calories you're eating -- not because your macros aren't set right. Have you tried just going with the default macros and MFP's suggested calories (with a reasonable goal like .5 a week since you don't have much to lose)?

So, what do you suggest for calories? Everyone seems super opposed to eating fewer than 1200 calories a day, so what should I do?

After taking a quick look at your diary, I suggest that you begin weighing your food so you can establish if you're actually hitting your calorie goal or not. Using measuring cups can lead you to accidentally eat more than you think you are.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I really need help setting my macros. I've read so many different things that I just don't know what to do. I've had them at 45% carbs 20% fat 35% protien for over a month and my weight hasn't moved. I am 5"1' 121lbs and I've had my calories anywhere from 1100 to 1250. When they are at 1250, I can still meet my macros, but I have a hard time meeting the calories. I lift weights 5 times a week for 35-45 minutes, and do vinyasa/ashtanga yoga 5 times a week as well. I teach yoga 2 times a week.

So, with all that info, my goal is to lose fat and gain muscle. Help!!

Perhaps your body type doesn't respond all that well to that much protein. Try upping your carbs to 55% and fat to 27%. That leaves protein at 18%. Here's the source for those proportions http://www.livestrong.com/article/455388-dash-diet-proportions-carbohydrates-fat-protein/
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I really need help setting my macros. I've read so many different things that I just don't know what to do. I've had them at 45% carbs 20% fat 35% protien for over a month and my weight hasn't moved. I am 5"1' 121lbs and I've had my calories anywhere from 1100 to 1250. When they are at 1250, I can still meet my macros, but I have a hard time meeting the calories. I lift weights 5 times a week for 35-45 minutes, and do vinyasa/ashtanga yoga 5 times a week as well. I teach yoga 2 times a week.

Perhaps your body type doesn't respond all that well to that much protein. Try upping your carbs to 55% and fat to 27%. That leaves protein at 18%. Here's the source for those proportions http://www.livestrong.com/article/455388-dash-diet-proportions-carbohydrates-fat-protein/

body type is irrelevant...it's the amount of calories that matters...besides protein is only 4 calories per gram exactly like carbs.
  • dannapearsall
    Options

This kind of makes sense. I have lost weight easily before eating lots of fruits and veggies. I upped my protien to help gain muscle.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

This kind of makes sense. I have lost weight easily before eating lots of fruits and veggies. I upped my protien to help gain muscle.

you know protein and carbs have the same amount of calories per gram right??
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

So inaccurate logging elicits defensive response from you, but your body "not responding well to protein" makes sense to you? Sorry, but it doesn't actually work that way. Furthermore, if you're eating at a deficit, you eat protein to retain as much muscle as possible not gain it, because you're not going to gain muscle eating at a deficit like 1200 calories, especially as a woman.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Wrong question to ask. Here is how I succeeded at what you are doing: set your caloric goal (which is important; macros are not). I recommend a modest deficit of 10%-20% below your break even. Eat nutrient-dense, satisfying foods that fill you up. In my opinion ALL macros should be AT LEAST 20% of your overall calories; any macro break down where all 3 numbers are 20 or higher (as a percentage) should get the job done. Eating at a caloric deficit you'll need more fat than you think. My guess is, while I was losing weight and trying to preserve muscle, I was eating (approximately) 30% protein, 30% carbs, and 40% fat. The extra fat satisfied me and kept testosterone levels up. You may need a different breakdown. The thing is, listen to your body. The best diet is the one you will stay on.
  • dannapearsall
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

So inaccurate logging elicits defensive response from you, but your body "not responding well to protein" makes sense to you? Sorry, but it doesn't actually work that way. Furthermore, if you're eating at a deficit, you eat protein to retain as much muscle as possible not gain it, because you're not going to gain muscle eating at a deficit like 1200 calories, especially as a woman.

Being attacked for logging what I thought was accurate is what elicits a defensive response.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Being attacked for logging what I thought was accurate is what elicits a defensive response.

Logging errors are really common. The reason most of us point them out is because we've made them ourselves at some point.