Just have to rant...

Options
Weight loss is the most exasperating thing!! I yo-yo back and forth between the same 2-3 pounds for about 3 weeks before the scale loses it forever. I know I should be used to it, but it is so frustrating, especially because I eat at or below my calorie level every single day. It is not hormonal because I went through menopause 3 years ago, unless that is still an issue for post-menopausal women. I have everything set to lose 2 pounds per week and my average is close to that, but it still drives me nuts!!!

I know that I am losing, and I definitely weigh and log everything I eat, but up and down, up and down really makes me dizzy!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I peeked at your diary.
    1. I think once you quit Nutrisystem you will lose weight.
    Those programs do not teach you how cook and eat right for life.
    I like the Medterinenian Diet and the Mayo Clinic Heart Healthy eating plan.
    2. Are you getting enough calcium and magnesium?
    Gummies often do not have any minerals. I consider them just candy. Check that label.
    http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/vitamin-deficiency-and-obesity
    Plus your body could use some to help prevent osteoporosis.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    That's what weight does. It fluctuates. 2-3 pounds isn't all that much, and you can't expect to weigh exactly the same, day after day, or lose in lockstep with an equation that doesn't take water weight or hormonal fluctuations into account (yes, you do still have hormones circulating in your bloodstream, even after menopause.)

Adjust your expectations to something more in line with the way the human body works and you'll be a lot happier.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it is very normal, you could always just weigh yourself once or twice a month. Then you would see less fluctuations.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I hate that too!
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you! By the way, Nutrisystem has worked really well for me. Look at my profile picture. Three years ago I lost 70 pounds on it. It actually did teach me to eat in regards to serving sizes and macros. I use it now because I live alone and the frozen foods are excellent!! I did gain a little back, but have since then lost that and more. I never reached my original goal weight and would really like to this time around.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Some people really do just lose their weight through ongoing stalls and whooshes. I've only experienced one (thankfully, because it was fracken frustrating). It could just be the way it's going to work for you. It has something to do with your body retaining water as you are losing and then one day, just letting the extra water go. Rinse and repeat. Congratulations on your losses!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary.
    Gummies often do not have any minerals. I consider them just candy. Check that label.
    http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/vitamin-deficiency-and-obesity

Different people have different ways of losing weight, what works for one may or may not work for another. What works for you may or may not work for another as well. :)

On topic though, weight fluctuates daily at least 1-3 lbs for me, which is why I try not to weigh myself every day. Its a hard habit to get rid of, but I noticed it was driving me nuts as well. :)
  • Pam_1965
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    (yes, you do still have hormones circulating in your bloodstream, even after .

So good to know! Thanks!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You might think about weight less frequently if the daily fluctuations are giving you fits.
  • Kassi81
    Kassi81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    Thank you! It's nice to hear that other people have the same issues with the stupid scale. Here is something awesome... I have been exercising a ton. I have been walking 5.5 miles on a loop around a hilly golf course 6 days a week for the past month and half. Last Saturday I decided to try running part of it. I was flabbergasted that I was able to run 4 of the miles and just had to walk the hill at the end (I do the 2.75 loop twice). Today I ran even faster. I was feeling so great that I came home and tried on some old clothes that haven't fit for 1.5 years. I was able to fit into my size 4 jeans!! A month ago I couldn't even get them up over my hips.4 years ago I was wearing a size 16! Now, I won't be wearing them to work quite yet because I have a bit of a muffin top, but what progress!! Forget about the scale!

Wow! Those victories are much more meaningful than anything the scale could tell you! Go you!!!
  • m2marsh
    m2marsh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary.

I used Nutrisystem, lost 45 pounds, and have kept it off for 8 years. You lose weight on it if you follow the plan. You don't gain it back if you are focused on continued healthy eating and proper portions.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if it's stressing you out, weigh less often.
    my weight will get stuck for a month and lose a few after my cycle.

and as it was mentioned you still have hormones. and they will stay fluctuate
    plus there is water/sodium fun
  • Pam_1965
    Options
    m2marsh wrote: »

I used Nutrisystem, lost 45 pounds, and have kept it off for 8 years. You lose weight on it if you follow the plan. You don't gain it back if you are focused on continued healthy eating and proper portions.

Hi, M2Marsh!
    I remember you from the NS boards! Nutrisytem is fantastic! I did a great job keeping the weight off, and the little bit I gained back is off again and then some. Nice to see you!
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Its water! Only weigh yourself once a week in the morning, either wearing the same thing or nothing at all. If i weigh myself in the middle of the day i'm 2lb heavier because of liquid and food. And depending on what you have eaten the day before you can carry water, such as foods with a higher salt intake. I weigh myself everyday, but i only log it in my diary at home every Thursday morning. i only consider that weight my 'real' weight.