Does my family want me to fail????

Options
2»

Replies

• cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I often ask myself that same question because I have family members very similar to yours. You tell them you want to eat healthier, and they're trying to shove pie, cake, potatoes, and all the things you love in your face. I am coming to grips with that I have a food addiction. I tell my family that "just a little bite" turns into me eating way more than I should, and yet, this does not stop them from offering. You may have to pull the "If you love me, you wouldn't.." card, but if you don't have the strength to do that or it doesn't help, you need to just plan ahead as to what you are going to eat when you go to these places. So many restaurants have their menus online now. When the bread comes out...look the other way. Texting has been a distraction for me, or just drinking water while the bread or desert is out and everyone is eating. You could also post here. Good luck!
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I often ask myself that same question because I have family members very similar to yours. You tell them you want to eat healthier, and they're trying to shove pie, cake, potatoes, and all the things you love in your face. I am coming to grips with that I have a food addiction. I tell my family that "just a little bite" turns into me eating way more than I should, and yet, this does not stop them from offering. You may have to pull the "If you love me, you wouldn't.." card, but if you don't have the strength to do that or it doesn't help, you need to just plan ahead as to what you are going to eat when you go to these places. So many restaurants have their menus online now. When the bread comes out...look the other way. Texting has been a distraction for me, or just drinking water while the bread or desert is out and everyone is eating. You could also post here. Good luck!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Look up the restaurants before you go and see their menu and plan it out.

This really saved me when my dad came to visit.

The only MFP cliche more annoying to me than "my journey" is "its a life-style change" but it really is true. If you want to keep the weight off once its gone you will need to keep your good habits or you'll be right back where you started again. Your mom will probably be visiting again someday or there will be other circumstances where you're going to eat out and here is your opportunity to start learning how to make it work for you!
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! My parents want so bad for me to slip up and just eat horribly again with them! I refuse! Don't give up! If anything sit her down and explain to her that it hurts that you're trying to make a healthy choice and she keeps making plans to go to unhealthy places.
  • skylaralyks
    Options
    No don't quit. See if you can find the menu's online and plan your meals that way.
    So True! Planning is THE BEST way. Trust me...I eat out at least 3 x a week? (not by choice -___-) planning before hand has helped me SO MUCH!
  • summerlee97
    Options
    I used to ask myself that many times. My husband is naturally skinny and loves all the things that make me gain weight. I love the MFP app on my phone. When we do go out to eat, I always ask for a nutrutional menu. It is great because not only do I see the calories involved, my hubby also looks at the information. Many times he even changes his menu choices once he realizes the meal he wants had 1300 calories alone. Even people who do not struggle with their weight sometimes need to be aware of what they are eating. Just because a person is skinny does not mean that they are healthy. They can have high cholesterol and blood pressure and not be aware of it.
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    a lot of times places can give a grill chicken and ask for a salad if they don't already have. And if you must have a starch go with a baked potato(No tops) and only eat half! Try to ask to not go to chinese places for dinner and its very difficult to make healthish choices.
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

The only MFP cliche more annoying to me than "my journey" is "its a life-style change" but it really is true. If you want to keep the weight off once its gone you will need to keep your good habits or you'll be right back where you started again. Your mom will probably be visiting again someday or there will be other circumstances where you're going to eat out and here is your opportunity to start learning how to make it work for you!

I so agree with this and ALL the post - this is a life style change so we have to be able to manage ourselves when we eat out...eating out once a week is not really bad if you plan you meal or box half and ask to have the fat removed before cooking (butter, special sauce etc etc etc)

We ALL know that eating out is what we ALL do from time to time, so enjoy yourself, increase your exercise and drink LOTS of WATER before your meal arrives - try eating a salad or some thing at home before leaving for the restaurant.

Remember your MFP Fam is here for your support - download the app to your phone that way you can better see what your are consuming!

Again ENJOY yourself and you can do that without OVER EATING!

Good luck.
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When I'm going to a restaurant, I fill up on healthy stuff beforehand. Then, I order better and eat less. And bonus, I take half of it home to have the next day. :)

Hang in there!!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I dont think you mom is trying to hurt your or do anything against you eating better. When someone says that to another person they may not think about it the same way you do. Unless you have explained how your making the choices you are they only go by what they think better choices are. Some people dont think eating mcdonalds is a bad choice for food some do. Try and keep positive your mom is trying to have a good time while she is visiting you dont let your new way of life effect that in a negative way.
    I have said this before and will say it now FOOD IS NOT THE ENEMY! Eating out isnt something that is a horrible thing to do. How we view food, what we eat on a regular basis, and how much we eat is what has gotten us here in the first place.
    It not like in life you are never going to go out to eat again, have junk food again or something sweet again. You can say you dont make good choices at a restaurant but that is a cop out, there is no time like the present to learn how to choose and MAKE better choices. Like many others have said PLAN PLAN PLAN. Look for the best choices you can. If you cant find out do a longer harder workout to adjust for extra calories. Drink water instead of pop or booze. Split the meal in half right away. Eat salad without dressing or dressing on the side. NO cheese will help cut back on cals. Eat lighter breakfast and lunch to balance the say. Chooce chicken and fish, try and cut carbs where you can ask for steamed veggies as a side.

YOU CAN LEARN< YOU CAN MAKE THE BEST CHOICES and when you cant its ok tomorrow is a new day one meal isnt going to ruin everything you worked for ENJOY YOUR VISIT WITH YOUR MOM THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    10 restaurants in 7 weeks is not more than once a week. I usually go out once a week - and while I might not be "perfect" on my diary, I am definately making better choices than I used to. Go out - make better choices. You have to learn how not to sabotage yourself!

Um, yes it is. It is 3 times more than once in a week. That is unreasonable.

If weight loss is not important to her, if having a healthy, happy daughter isn't important, tell her your cannot financially meet the obligation. Make up any other reason, since you've already given her the truth and that didn't satisfy.

You could also eat very obviously before you go. If you are full you can have a glass of unsweetened tea or a small side salad with no dressing and just tell everyone you came for the company and ate at home.

Good luck!
  • daniellerp
    daniellerp Posts: 21
    Options
    I know what you mean....my mom is the exact same way and she's so thin she's never worried about food.
    My parents eat out all the time and live right around the corner...my husband often works through dinner and they are always calling and asking me to go to dinner with them. Just tonight I was over there swiming and I caught them feeding my kids hot dogs and chinese food leftovers for dinner!
    Anyways, I found a GREAT website DWLZ.com it's "Dottie's weight loss zone" and she has a ton of restaurant menus broken down (very simply) and even includes Weight Watcher points. It's the best way to know exactly what you're eating to continue logging it.
    Good Luck!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I don't think she wants you to fail, it's just the problem with our society today. My parents know that I need to keep my weight down for my job and every time Igo home my mother wants to make a huge list of all these meals, every day she asks me what i want for dinner. It's like life revolves around food. I try and ask them to go hiking or walk around downtown instead but, sadly, life seems to revolve around food. Unless you have a very active family it's hard let them know you are serious about getting healthy. Another problem I've noticed is that my family may accept me for who I am (which is good yes) but in this acceptance they subconsiously seem to get in the way of my getting healthy and in shape. I wouldn't doubt if this were the same for many people on here, which is why this site is so vital for many people without a good support system at home. Just do your best with what you have, make good choices that you know you can handle and remember that no matter how hard it is, you're in charge and you have supporters. Hopefully one day she will appreciate what you are doing.
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I agree with all the post - this is a life-style change, so we all must learned to manage ourselves when eating out. Let's face it, eating out is what we do, and doing it once a week can be fine, if we make healthier choices. I agree review the menue before leaving, box 1/2, asked them to cook without adding the butter, special sauces etc etc etc.

Remember you MFP Fam is here for you...don't give up and remember how you got here! Increase your exercise for the
    week(s) that you will be eating out, EAT some thing HEALTHY prior to arrive at the restaurant and once there DRINK LOTS OF WATER before the meal arrives.

Don't hold yourslef hostage, relax and know you can manage yourself, and if you slip up, then be prepared the next day to get back on track. Heck we all trip up even when we don't eat out...(smile)

You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I understand - I have trouble being good at restaraunts a lot of times too. And when I'm on a roll and being consistent, I can get really cranky when something (or someone) changes things up fo rme. It's HARD for me to pass up the yummy stuff, and it's even harder for me to get back on track once I have something (even one thing) I wouldn't normally eat. So I get it!!

But.....looking from the outside in... try to remember that it's not only about you (I mean that in the nicest way possible - believe me, I have to tell myself that a lot :smile: ). Other people have needs too, and your mom is probably just doing what's normal for her - I doubt she wants you to fail. Most places have something that is either healthy or can be cooked in a healthier way. Just plan ahead. And if you want to eat something extra - just do some extra excercise to make up for it.

So try hard not to stress about it. And remember not to blame anyone else if you stray - what you put in your mouth is under your control. Try not to think of it as sabatoge, because it's probably not (of course, I don't know your mom). It's probably just people doing normal people things.
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    To echo everyone else...MFP will actually provide you with support during these tough times. Everyone has a story and, believe it or not, there will be people in your same--or similar--situations.

Try to increase your activity if you know you'll be splurging those weeks. At the very least, you won't put on any weight. Then you can get back on your regular fitness plan when the weeks are over.

Best of luck!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    PROVE IT!!!
    prove it that you can make healthy choices and set an example in front of your mom and your family!! It may be hard, but that is a good goal to acheive!!!! You can do it....for you!!!
    I just came back from visiting my mom and dad...No support from my mom at all. She told me to eat more 'good stuff' as there is a plate of dainties on the table and I should quit exercising!
    sometimes I cave to sweets, but most of the time I prove that I can and will be healthy.
    Diabetes, high blood pressure,strokes/heart attacks, obesity runs in my family!
    I want to be my age in health, not a 40 year old going on to 70, and try to stay away from prescription drugs etc.
    Sorry for the bit of a rant,
    But I support you.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey!!!
    smiles:)
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    No don't quit. See if you can find the menu's online and plan your meals that way.

This is a great idea! I would go online to the restaurant's menu, pick out what I wanted before I went that way when they bring you the menu just hand it back and not look at it. This way you already know what you want and you can't be persuaded to change your mind. I've done this several times and have saved me several extra days of working out.

And for sure DON'T GIVE UP! This is just a test and we all know you can pass it!
  • EmmaR31
    EmmaR31 Posts: 184
    Options
    No. This is the part where you put your big girl panties on. Not good at restaurants? Start planning now. Going to Outback, check MFP food diary...scope out what you could/should have.

Increase your physical activity if you know you just can't pass up those damn blooming onions (with the yummy dipping sauce too). Suggest taking a walk once you get home to help burn off a bit of dinner.

When you order your food, ask them to box up half. They'll do it. That way, if you clean your plate, you've only technically cleaned half of it.

Be smart. Be strong. And for God's sake, don't give up!!! We got your back, girl!

Exactly what she said :)
  • girlygirl761
    girlygirl761 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice & support!! Its nice to know that other people have had similar issues and were still able to succeed with their weight loss.