1610 cals a day and I'm so hungry and miserable

Options
2»

Replies

• Georgesear
    Georgesear Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Regarding how many calories to eat (I have 35 pounds to lose, I am 47 yr old female): my doctor said to keep track of everything I eat for 2 weeks and then to eat 1/2 of those calories. Also, to allow myself one cheat day per week where you can eat a little more (eg have dessert) but not go crazy. I've started at a 1200 calorie level. Still experimenting with what combination of healthy foods keeps me most satisfied, but not avoiding anything like carbs, certain fruits, salt, which I did on my last diet (Medical Weight Loss). I lost weight, but it was too restrictive.
  • echohwa
    echohwa Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    •••
    I'm week one of my calorie reduction and I can honestly say I am so hungry and so miserable.
    •••
    I'm type 1 diabetic and this gives me the best control.
    •••
    I am just so hungry...
    •••

May I suggest eating small protein rich mels more often, like, every two hours? If you keep your hunger in check, perhaps you will feel better. Are you taking the right insulin? Are you taking the correct amount? Could it be that you're taking too much insulin for what you're eating? My father is Type I Diabetic, so this is my layman's knowledge, fyi.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dr. Just my experience.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    What's your weight loss set to - 2# per week? Yeah, you've got a lot of lose, but change it to 1# per week. One great quote from MFP a few years ago is "The goal is to eat as much as you can and still lose weight." Misery and hungry are common at the start of a diet. I went through it myself (lasted 2-3 weeks). I learned I didn't have to "starve" to lose weight.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I'm 210 pounds and 5 ft 5.
    So I have quite a bit to lose :-(

3 years ago I was right where you are Christina, except one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier. I did Nutrisystem for 9 months and lost 70 pounds. Everyone on the Nutrisystem boards ranted and raved about MyFitnessPal, but I was happy with logging everything into the NS site and never checked it out. Nutrisystem was absolutely fantastic!!! I started with MFP this past January to work on losing the 20 pounds that had crept back on. I had learned to eat correctly through my experiences with NS so was eager to work on losing what I had gained and then even more. I was struggling because I was eating 1200 calories a day AND exercising but was not losing! I did not know to eat back some of the exercise calories I was earning. I wasn't necessarily hungry, but wasn't losing UNTIL I started adding in some more food. I have my Fitbit synced to my MFP, and I cannot believe how great it is working for me!

What I did learn from Nutrisystem that kept me from never feeling hungry was eating properly and at the RIGHT times. If I wait too long between meals I am ravenous, but if I eat something every 3 hours I am fine. I always have a weighed portion of almonds or 2 light cheese sticks between breakfast and lunch and then a carb (within 120 calories) between lunch and dinner. A serving of protein at the correct times will seriously keep you full throughout the day.

I have now lost all that I had gained and 5 more pounds. I am looking forward to losing another 15 by June and my upcoming cruise to Bermuda!

Good luck to you!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    The pain and misery does end when your body adjusts. You are probably used to eating more sugar, and it is particularly difficult to break yourself away from the clutches of sugar.

I was going to suggest this as well. Those who eat a lot of bad carbs and sugars (or so I've heard) have the hardest time adjusting to not getting those things in huge amounts and have to gradually cut those things out rather than cutting them out cold turkey.

I'd experiment with foods if I were you. I have been doing that lately and finding certain combinations of foods keep me full longer. I like PB and banana on whole wheat, for instance, kept me full last night at work for over 5 hours. The other day I had a few ounces of grilled chicken with steamed broccoli and didn't want anything to eat for literally the rest of the day. I'm sure it's different for everyone but I would experiment with different things.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'd like to reiterate what another poster said about confirming with your doctor that you are on the right amount of insulin. After that, you must get religious with your diary and notes section. Experiment with different foods and carb/protein/fat combinations and use the notes section to record how they made you feel. Plus, never let yourself get to starving. Keeping your blood sugar controlled and even will make you feel better -- so plan some healthy snacks into your daily intake. Best of luck to you.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Chaagy wrote: »
    but I think the biggest thing is adjusting to the feeling of feeling satisfied... rather than full. I used to always eat until I was full (sometimes stuffed!!), so when I began in my first week, the feeling of satisfied, never really felt like full. In truth, it feels like ravenous, rage-filled, zombie-hunger (for cheeseburgers though, not brains)!!

Satisfied means, I've eaten something, and the hunger edge is off... but in truth, I could eat double or triple what I just ate and only then I might be full.

This for me. I am used to feeling stuffed/satiated. I had to realize that I was eating to point of "not-hunger" not eating to the point of "stuffed". Food should remove my hunger, not necessarily give me that stuffed/satiated feeling I would often seek in the past. I've learned to recognize this "not hungry" signal instead of being disappointed my stomach isn't completely full.

• coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »

3 years ago I was right where you are Christina, except one inch taller and 10 pounds heavier. I did Nutrisystem for 9 months and lost 70 pounds. Everyone on the Nutrisystem boards ranted and raved about MyFitnessPal, but I was happy with logging everything into the NS site and never checked it out. Nutrisystem was absolutely fantastic!!! I started with MFP this past January to work on losing the 20 pounds that had crept back on. I had learned to eat correctly through my experiences with NS so was eager to work on losing what I had gained and then even more. I was struggling because I was eating 1200 calories a day AND exercising but was not losing! I did not know to eat back some of the exercise calories I was earning. I wasn't necessarily hungry, but wasn't losing UNTIL I started adding in some more food. I have my Fitbit synced to my MFP, and I cannot believe how great it is working for me!

What I did learn from Nutrisystem that kept me from never feeling hungry was eating properly and at the RIGHT times. If I wait too long between meals I am ravenous, but if I eat something every 3 hours I am fine. I always have a weighed portion of almonds or 2 light cheese sticks between breakfast and lunch and then a carb (within 120 calories) between lunch and dinner. A serving of protein at the correct times will seriously keep you full throughout the day.

I have now lost all that I had gained and 5 more pounds. I am looking forward to losing another 15 by June and my upcoming cruise to Bermuda!

Good luck to you!

• vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    What's your weight loss set to - 2# per week? Yeah, you've got a lot of lose, but change it to 1# per week. One great quote from MFP a few years ago is "The goal is to eat as much as you can and still lose weight." Misery and hungry are common at the start of a diet. I went through it myself (lasted 2-3 weeks). I learned I didn't have to "starve" to lose weight.

I found a quote along similar awesome lines I'm trying to live by:

"Your best weight is whatever weight you reach when you're living the healthiest life you actually enjoy."
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Konjac root... Also known as gluconnoman powder can expand a bit in your tummy to give you a sensation of being fullet until you become accustomed to smaller volumes of food. Brothy soups help too.

Glucomannan is primarily used for constipation to keep in mind. :worried:

It's just a fiber. I use it daily but to thicken my smoothies and hot cereals. It's also the primary ingredient in fancy weight loss gimmicks such as Skinny Fiber and Liposene.
  • coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »

Good luck to you!

So GLAD NS WORKING FOR YOU!! Do you do shakes, meals or both? Have been on Slimfast since 4/9/16, but wanted to try one made with natural sweetener (stevia and monkfruit). Bought chocolate Nutricrush shakes from ebay and Amazon recently, $16/ 7 pkts, a little pricey, but incl shipping.. Put one together in the Walmart parking lot, because I bought a box there ($7.98 /7 pkts) and a Contigo mixer cup for when I'm at work. Filled my new cup at the water fountain there, and mixed it up there, without the ice, and away I went. To my surprise, it was great! No gross protein taste! Yay! I noticed the longer you leave it sit, it thickens on its own, I guess that's OK. I plan on using the shakes in my blender, and for when I'm at work, too. I like the fact it only takes water. So easy. I plan on having one for breakfast and lunch, then a sensible dinner. So glad I can purchase these locally, instead of ordering them.